Child Beauty Pageants

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ that to me is just playing dress up with a camera involved KWIM?

January 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
I don't think it's a good idea to present a child to be judged solely on appearance during a time where they are constructing an idea of who they are as a person. The emphasis during that time should be on who they are on the inside.

People who allow their child to wrap themselves in their appearance too much are doing their child a disservice.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
January 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Those pics are so creepy. The eyes look so empty, so soulless
January 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
glitz pageants freak me out. We have done a few natural ones and my dd loves them. We do ones where every one gets a small participation tiarra if they don't win a crown. I think my dd still looks like a little girl in her pageants. Here are some pics. I do wanna say if you have something negative please direct it at me and not my dd.

her winnings from one

January 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the more natural ones where little girls get to play dress up is ok. Especially since all the girls got something for participating. Ones like those Toddlers and Tiara's though, he ll no.

January 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I don't think pageants are inherently bad. I do think there is a big difference between the huge pageants and the local festival pageants, at least from what I've seen. I wouldn't ever do the fake teeth/hair/tans, but if DD wanted to do a more natural one as she gets older I wouldn't mind.
I put DD#1 in a local pageant that a friend of the family was having as a favor. I think she was like 9 months old or so. We took her picture and I posted it on the photography forum my mom belongs to and asked people to "play". I sent the one that I had edited myself (removing spots, drool, etc.), because the one that the person did for me she looked like a plastic doll. It actually caused quite the controversy on this board when it was dug up and posted by another poster without my permission.
Against my better judgement I'll post the pics of DD#1 that I'm talking about:
original:

the edit from the photo forum:

And, just for fun, here was how interested DD was at the pageant :

TTC our Rainbow Baby to complete our family.
January 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to present a child to be judged solely on appearance during a time where they are constructing an idea of who they are as a person. The emphasis during that time should be on who they are on the inside.

People who allow their child to wrap themselves in their appearance too much are doing their child a disservice.
Ditto. I don't like them. I know that some parents can be ok about it, but I just don't think pageants are something that are good for little girls. I'd rather see them out playing, getting dirty, experiencing life. And those photos are scary!! The one of the older girl isn't as bad, imo, because it looks like normal retouching. The little girls though- scary! It's also scary when the parents get too into it and put all that pressure on the girls. It's just not ok.

January 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ha that picture still isn't even as bad as some of those others

And the intent was different- cleaning up a picture doesnt make it plastic. Everyone typically touches up pics in photoshop, so that's not a big deal. It's the soulless pictures that don't even look the same that scare me, the ones offered on glitz sites, mandated by the pageant companies

January 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
omg, Leslie, there was someone in my PR who does that type of editing with every.single.one of her kids' photos. Cooper won one of the photo contests for best eyes or something and she made him a siggy and did that type of editing. He looked like a wax doll. I tried not to be offended, but I was like, "What was so wrong with my baby that he needed to be photoshopped into looking like a different kid?"

January 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunoz8517 View Post
glitz pageants freak me out. We have done a few natural ones and my dd loves them. We do ones where every one gets a small participation tiarra if they don't win a crown. I think my dd still looks like a little girl in her pageants. Here are some pics. I do wanna say if you have something negative please direct it at me and not my dd.

her winnings from one

I think those are cute. She still looks like a kid, and she doesn't look like her mommy (you) is putting her through it because you want to...ya know?
January 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
aussiemummy
Imunoz - I think those photos are really cute!! The 'normal' ones like that are okay but the ones with tots and tiaras are horrifying.
January 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not really a fan of any kind of pagent. I don't think kids or anyone should be judged based on their looks, natural or not. It's sending a message to them that they look good enough or they don't. If I ever have a daughter who wants to be in this sort of thing I'd have her to dance instead. This way she's not being judged and she gets to wear a dance outfit (and at our local one they are age appropriate, not skimpy or anything).
January 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
aussiemummy
I dont' understand photo shopping your childs photos either. We had a family portrait done and they did it to all of us. My skin looked FANTASTIC though.
January 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Against, against, against. I can't imagine sending my child up on a stage to be judged and rated based on her looks. I see no difference between a small town dairy pagaent and a national one. The message it sends to the losers is "You're not pretty enough" and the message it sends to the winner is "you're better than the other girls because you are prettier." Totally wrong, and I can't imagine any reason a parent would do it that justifies subjecting their child to this. If my child really wanted to compete in something like this, I would tell her she could wait until she was a late teen, and until then, she can develop her true talents - singing, dancing, palying an instrument, whatever. Walking on stage and looking beautiful in an evening gown and a bikini is not a talent at any age, and while I realize that these competitions generally have talent portions, that is a very small part of it.

As for the photo shopping, I just don't get it. I think the children look hideous all changed up like that. Every single one of those kids looks a billion times better as their natural selves. I don't know why anyone would do that to their child.
January 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
Against, against, against. I can't imagine sending my child up on a stage to be judged and rated based on her looks. I see no difference between a small town dairy pagaent and a national one. The message it sends to the losers is "You're not pretty enough" and the message it sends to the winner is "you're better than the other girls because you are prettier." Totally wrong, and I can't imagine any reason a parent would do it that justifies subjecting their child to this. If my child really wanted to compete in something like this, I would tell her she could wait until she was a late teen, and until then, she can develop her true talents - singing, dancing, palying an instrument, whatever. Walking on stage and looking beautiful in an evening gown and a bikini is not a talent at any age, and while I realize that these competitions generally have talent portions, that is a very small part of it.

As for the photo shopping, I just don't get it. I think the children look hideous all changed up like that. Every single one of those kids looks a billion times better as their natural selves. I don't know why anyone would do that to their child.

I'll agree, she puts it so much better than I could.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Are child beauty pageants (up to age 18) ok or are they harmful?

Is there a difference between the local dairy/corn/farmers Fair beauty and talent competition, and a larger scale beauty competition where the parents might have to travel and buy more outfits Yes, there is a HUGE difference. I am totally OK with the local competitions but not ok with the larger scale beauty comps. The local ones don't bother me because that is mostly older teens not toddlers.

What about ones that require headshots? Especially ones that require photoshop Oh hell no.

What about the use of wigs, false teeth or heavy makeup on young children? Normal part of the biz, or outrageous? That's going to be another HELL NO!

Just watching previews for that show on TLC makes me sick! The newest one where the little girl mouths 'i hate you' to her mother/that woman is disgusting! I am not sure if it is the same one but the father asks if the child is having fun and she says no...not cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
What do you think of these

Sick! Just GROSS! Who would be ok with someone doing that to their child?!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran
^^^ The last picture above is seriously frightening!!

I wouldn't allow my daughter to do pageants. It seems it's more the mom who's interested in it.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search