Child Beauty Pageants

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
More disturbing than the outfits, make up and photos is the way they are taught to act. I find that very... very... wrong. Very wrong. The prancing.... the ear to ear cheshire cat grin... the flirting... I dont' normally judge people but teaching a 5 year old to shake her tushie and look sexay for the judges is just... ew.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

January 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess local hometown ones are ok but not ones like toddler in tiarras. Everytime I see a commerical for it my stomach turns. Its disgusting how the mothers dress these little girls up.
January 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Username View Post
Ok, I just found this about a mom whose daughter is in pagents and she put her 8-year-old on DIETS before a pagent:

Pageant Mom Puts 8-Year-Old Daughter On Crash Diet
That is disturbing.

No pageants allowed for my children. Ever.
August 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I do understand that some parents go overboard with some of the pageant stuff... but you are going to see overboard parents anywhere you go. I was personally involved in softball and competitive cheerleading when i was a kid. I had practices everynight, games and competitions on the weekends. My parents spent thousands dollars on mine and my sisters activities. They loved every second of it too. If a little girl loves pageants, let her do it. Fake hair, makeup, crazy outfits, go to a cheerleading competition. Its there too. If retouched photos are the biggest problem with the pageants, get over it. Dont put down something a little girl loves. and as for spoiled brats?? Look in your local McDonalds. They are everywhere. Not just in pageants.
August 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
summerblue's Avatar Veteran
Okay, I have not read all the responses but I think child beauty/talent shows are awful! I have never seen one that was not stressful for everyone. That toddlers and tiaras show is the worst! Borderline child abuse, in a few cases. Just horrible for a child' self esteem and self concept. They cost too much money. They don't teach anything of real value.

I craft, check out my blog!
August 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
BieneMaja's Avatar Regular
My jaw is still on the floor from those pictures on the first page. I can't believe anyone would dress up their child like that. Those kids look like dolls instead of real children. Quite scary.

August 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerblue View Post
Okay, I have not read all the responses but I think child beauty/talent shows are awful! I have never seen one that was not stressful for everyone. That toddlers and tiaras show is the worst! Borderline child abuse, in a few cases. Just horrible for a child' self esteem and self concept. They cost too much money. They don't teach anything of real value.
Don't bother. This thread is 8 months old

August 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
It wouldn't matter if it was 8 minutes old.

August 18th, 2010, 05:34 PM
summerblue's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Another one bumped! this must be happening on purpose

I craft, check out my blog!
August 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran
I'm against beauty pageants for kids, especially ones like Toddlers And Tiaras.
August 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are child beauty pageants (up to age 18) ok or are they harmful? I think they can and often are harmful

Is there a difference between the local dairy/corn/farmers Fair beauty and talent competition, and a larger scale beauty competition where the parents might have to travel and buy more outfits no (except moneywise)

What about ones that require headshots? Especially ones that require photoshop
I don't agree with those

What about the use of wigs, false teeth or heavy makeup on young children? Normal part of the biz, or outrageous? outrageous

I put my daughter in 3 when she was around 2 and I did not do all the makeup and big curly hair and fake hair.But sadly thats what the judges look for.
Alot of the mothers were snotty as were their girls.

My daughter decided to be in them when she was 14 and she did quite well.She won 3 pageants and placed in all of the others with the exception of 2.She did not compete in any where you have to wear a swimsuit or change outfits or anything.Strictly pageant dresses.She never let it go to her head,but again there are always some girls and their mothers who do let it go to their heads.It is sad when that happens.

August 19th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Man, this girl in my speech class over the summer gave a great speech about child beauty pageants and why she is against them. I wish I could remember what she said. Anyway, from what I see mostly... it's a bunch of obese mothers with late 80s early 90s hair and 70s blue eyeshadow trying to live vicariously through their daughters and sons.
August 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know the shows on tv about the pageants are that way.
And yes there are some women here that are obese or overweight who I think put their children in these pageants for themselves.It is truly sad.....

There are 2 girls who went to school with my daughter and they went all over to be in pageants and they were in the Miss Mississippi pageant this year and last year and both of them got in the top 10.

I don't recall there being any pageants when I was in school.This must be something that became popular in the 90's ...

September 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Everyone has their own right to an opinion when it comes to pageants. My daughter is 6 yrs old and has been doing pageants for alittle over a year now. But they are NOT glitz pageants, im not fond of them nor can i afford them. She does all natural pageants, no make-up, no fake hair, no flippers, no tans. She doesnt even wear nail polish. My dd actually loves doing them, if she no longer wanted to do them that would be fine with me too. But I can tell you that it is much more then being about looks, some of them you have to maintain good grades, you have to be involved in your community, you have to be able to speak properly. My daughter does interview and an on-stage introduction, she is absolutely amazing, and I can almost guarantee that she at the age of 6 could beat out alot of 16 yr olds in an interview if they were up for the same job. Now she also cheers, tumbles, dances and yes, when she is outside, she loves to play in the dirt, ride quads and play football with her family. I think if the pageants are positive then there is nothing wrong with them, I am not a pushy mom, if my children want to play a sport or get involved in an activity, that is fine with me, then it is their decision whether they like it or not. Pageants, my daughter happens to love and she has also made many friends throughout our state that we visit and talk to pretty frequently. I have come across some crazy, pushy pageant moms, but I try to avoid them. For me, its also a great time to bond more with your daughter, and my daughter also has and shows great sportsmanship. she never has cried when she didnt win a queen title, but she has congratulated the winner. Thanks everyone for just hearing me out
September 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I'm guessing you stumbled on this thread on Google and then had to register to defend your daughter's participation in pageants....? I'm sure you're not pushy at all.

September 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
*ahem* exalt.
August 4th, 2011, 12:21 AM
ok arrogance, I did not stumble on this site. I am a full time working single mother of 2, so when i find the time to browse the internet I do. I understand you want to bash pageants systems, but until you do a NATURAL pageant, please dont make silly comments on this. I am not tongue lashing any of you. Nor am I or do I need to defend my daughter. She is a brilliant, intelligent, amazing child. She enjoys them, but oh did I forget to tell you that my daughter has won 7,200 in scholarship funds and another 2300 in savings bonds. Yes you can say what you want, but like I said my daughter is confident, not afraid to speak in front of others, has her own opinions and displays them properly. She is not ignorant if she doesnt win, she claps and smiles, then congratulates. Lastly, I am not a pushy mom, my daughter does not practice for pageants due to her school work, competitive cheering, dance, gymnastics and so forth. so when she gets on stage, its all her and her personality. If you would check on some natural pageants, you will see that alot of them have slogans like: "inner beauty" and "beauty from the inside out". Well thats it for now. I cant keep giving all the good qualities of my daughter without another one of you parents degrading her. She deserves respect. So have a nice night everyone and god bless :-)
August 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sooooo you bumped this thread again a YEAR later?? LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search