Child Beauty Pageants

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp View Post
Hi everyone, I am a student. I'm doing a research on child beauty pageants which questions if it should or should not be banned. I was hoping to get some help from the parents who have sent their children to participate in beauty pageants. May I send a few interview questions?

Post your interview questions here. 1 of my daughters has been in a few natural pageants and I'm pretty sure your questions aren't about things that can't be answered publicly.
July 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
1) What is the aim of the children beauty pageants agencies by organizing this event?

2) In your opinion, do you think children who participate in beauty pageants lose confidence or gain confidence from the experience?

3) Are there psychological effects on the children?

4) What message does the children beauty pageants industry carry out to the public?

5) Are children beauty pageants a waste of money or time?

6) Do children beauty pageants provide good opportunities to children?

7) Is the bond between parents and their children strengthened if their children participate in beauty pageants?

-Thank you-
July 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
foxfire_ga79
1) What is the aim of the children beauty pageants agencies by organizing this event?
The agencies host the events and model scouts are in attendance looking for children with the potential to be models. Many kids doing pageants are pursuing modeling jobs and that's a decent place to start.

2) In your opinion, do you think children who participate in beauty pageants lose confidence or gain confidence from the experience?
I think that would depend on if they place or not, and how their parents react and guide them. In the pageants I put my daughter in, all girls got a tiara and a trophy even if nothing else. Each girl got announced at the end and the ones who were only getting a tiara and trophy for participation were announced just as enthusiastically as the ones who won something pertaining to the contest. I don't know how other girls felt, but my daughter was always excited about what she did get and didn't express regret about not placing.
I do not like the pageants where only winners are crowned and most girls walk away empty handed.

3) Are there psychological effects on the children?
Of course, just like any other activity. I'm sure that being in soccer, football, baseball and softball but not being "the winners" had a psychological effect on my kids.

4) What message does the children beauty pageants industry carry out to the public?
Depends. Some pageants are full glitz and some are more toned down and natural. I personally am repulsed at full glitz pageants and would never allow my daughters to compete in them. It's hard to sum up what message those pageants send to me. I'm just disgusted by them.
I'm more Ok with natural pageants because the girls don't cake themselves in horrible make up, don't use teeth flippers or hair pieces or spray tans. On the whole, I still think they're silly, and I was surprised and a little disappointed when my older daughter wanted to try them, and happy when she got sick of them. lol I don't think the natural ones are bad, I think they're just not our thing. Our family leans towards sports and music.

5) Are children beauty pageants a waste of money or time?
Hard to say. Most girls obviously never win. Many who do win still won't get to be models. So if that was the goal then yea it was a waste.
However, if it's something the family has chosen as their hobby and they enjoy it even if they aren't winning, then no. Then it can be a family activity same as anything else and it's not a waste if everyone is having fun.

6) Do children beauty pageants provide good opportunities to children?
Opportunities, yes. There is the "opportunity" to win and get any number of prizes. I've seen prizes offered in the forms of cash, savings bonds, and even little $500-$1000 college grants in the higher levels. These things are obviously helpful. My kids never got cash prizes in any of their sports.
But again, only a slim minority will get these things. But the opportunity is there.

7) Is the bond between parents and their children strengthened if their children participate in beauty pageants?
It depends on the parents. Some parents are horrible and push their kids, getting angry if they don't win. It's not the pageant's fault. I've seen that happen on the football and soccer fields as well.
The bond between kids and parents can be strengthened or weakened by any number of things and it's my non professional opinion that the bulk of responsibility for bonding lies on the parents and how they confront and teach their children to confront the situations they are in. Good parents make the best of out things, bad parents can ruin anything.

-Thank you-
July 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I'm very grateful that you have helped me answer those questions. It will really help in my research. Thank you!!
July 30th, 2012, 06:15 AM
hey urm foxfire_ga79, may i know your name so i can site my reference? But if you wish to remain anonymous it's no problem
July 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
foxfire_ga79
Anonymity is a beautiful thing on the internet. Hopefully "Rebecca from Georgia" will be sufficient for your paper.
August 10th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi, everyone I am wife and mom to 5. My youngest daughter 8yrs old have been in Natural pageants since she was 6. Since then she has done only 2 and about to do a 3rd. We like them, the natural ones are fun and she wins crowns and sashes and she likes it. I have 4 daughters and 1 son, all the girls are in ballet, 3 of the girls are in Girl Scouts and only one of the girls are doing pageants. All for just fun. I do know about the Jon Bennet Ramsey situation,but I think that is isolated incident by some lunatic in her family a uncle perhaps. That could not deal with the preasure of being caught and shot himself in the head. Okay, but the vast majority of girls that participate in glitz and natural pageants are safe. And I do not like that girls act like boys. Always in the dirt, playing like boys, looking all drab and flat like boys. no makeup for mom, I mean really all the makeup that American culture offers to women and they rather run around looking like a sweaty man. Just Plain and drab clothes. Big shirts, or pants, or just sloppy looking. Women from other cultures, tend to put on makeup and look like women, not prostitutes, but like women. and you know I bet many American husbands would like to see their wives look like women sometimes. Not just go and take a bath, but put on perfume, do your hair and add some makeup to your face. And to me there is nothing wrong with pageants. They do not harm a girl, they are not abusive no more then girls sitting at home doing nothing or acting like boys all the time. This is said with good taste, and not to anger anyone. but women in this culture need to spruce it up a little bit really.
August 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsusama View Post
Hi, everyone I am wife and mom to 5. My youngest daughter 8yrs old have been in Natural pageants since she was 6. Since then she has done only 2 and about to do a 3rd. We like them, the natural ones are fun and she wins crowns and sashes and she likes it. I have 4 daughters and 1 son, all the girls are in ballet, 3 of the girls are in Girl Scouts and only one of the girls are doing pageants. All for just fun. I do know about the Jon Bennet Ramsey situation,but I think that is isolated incident by some lunatic in her family a uncle perhaps. That could not deal with the preasure of being caught and shot himself in the head. Okay, but the vast majority of girls that participate in glitz and natural pageants are safe. And I do not like that girls act like boys. Always in the dirt, playing like boys, looking all drab and flat like boys. no makeup for mom, I mean really all the makeup that American culture offers to women and they rather run around looking like a sweaty man. Just Plain and drab clothes. Big shirts, or pants, or just sloppy looking. Women from other cultures, tend to put on makeup and look like women, not prostitutes, but like women. and you know I bet many American husbands would like to see their wives look like women sometimes. Not just go and take a bath, but put on perfume, do your hair and add some makeup to your face. And to me there is nothing wrong with pageants. They do not harm a girl, they are not abusive no more then girls sitting at home doing nothing or acting like boys all the time. This is said with good taste, and not to anger anyone. but women in this culture need to spruce it up a little bit really.
Who said anything about women not wearing make-up? I fail to see the connection. Nobody is saying anything about adult women "sprucing it up." The debate is about CHILD beauty pageants in which children are spray tanned, dressed in provocative clothing, and do provocative dance moves. I have no problem with an adult doing that.

Oh and do some research..most men like the natural look on women. Makeup is fine. Doing your hair is fine. I wear make-up when not at home, but my hubby always tells me I look way better without it on. It's a confidence thing for me.
August 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Where is the oh shove it emote when you need one? Talk about coming out of left field. I'll take my comfortable clothing with plain non make-up face over looking like an overdone clown in pinching clothing any day.
plan4fate, *Jennifer* and Frozenoj like this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey 1953 called and wants its views on gender stereo types back.

Girls playing in dirt, what's next excelling in the fields of mathematics and science. Gosh, next thing you know they are going to want and equal vote and stuff.

Quote:
Hi, everyone I am wife and mom to 5. My youngest daughter 8yrs old have been in Natural pageants since she was 6. Since then she has done only 2 and about to do a 3rd. We like them, the natural ones are fun and she wins crowns and sashes and she likes it. I have 4 daughters and 1 son, all the girls are in ballet, 3 ofRf the girls are in Girl Scouts and only one of the girls are doing pageants. All for just fun. I do know about the Jon Bennet Ramsey situation,but I think that is isolated incident by some lunatic in her family a uncle perhaps. That could not deal with the preasure of being caught and shot himself in the head. Okay, but the vast majority of girls that participate in glitz and natural pageants are safe. And I do not like that girls act like boys. Always in the dirt, playing like boys, looking all drab and flat like boys. no makeup for mom, I mean really all the makeup that American culture offers to women and they rather run around looking like a sweaty man. Just Plain and drab clothes. Big shirts, or pants, or just sloppy looking. Women from other cultures, tend to put on makeup and look like women, not prostitutes, but like women. and you know I bet many American husbands would like to see their wives look like women sometimes. Not just go and take a bath, but put on perfume, do your hair and add some makeup to your face. And to me there is nothing wrong with pageants. They do not harm a girl, they are not abusive no more then girls sitting at home doing nothing or acting like boys all the time. This is said with good taste, and not to anger anyone. but women in this culture need to spruce it up a little bit really.
Cereal Killer and *Leslie* like this.

August 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
"Hey honey, would you like it if I wore make up every day and did my hair and wore pretty dresses"
"Would I have married you if I did?"

...guess not.

Better also ban my eldest from going hiking with her friends today. Can't be having that behaviour.

On the actual topic of beauty pageants, whilst I probably would never enter my girls into them, and if they did want to do them, it would be met with a very heavy "But why?" I don't take huge issue to them.

What I do take issue to, however, is kids that do not want to do them, being forced by their parents. They're not big here, but we did go through a little phase of them when Dita was little. My niece Josie was entered in one, so we went to watch and whilst majority of the girls were happy to be there, there had to be at least a rough quarter who clearly did not want to be there. Lots of tears, lots of pleading "I don't wanna go on the stage" and so on, yet the parents were still forcing them. I think that's quite cruel because it isn't a necessity to be in a beauty pageant, from my experience with them, I really don't think you learn anything from them (yes we could argue poise and manners and whatever, but you don't need to be dolled up and placed on a stage and judged on your appearance to learn those things) I think it is purely for fun, and if the child is not having fun, then they should not be there.

Oh and for the record, all three of my girls took interest in stereotypically feminine hobbies, Dita did ballet for over a decade, she has dropped it now, but now she does yoga, Sunny does gymnastics and Lux does horse riding (okay, that one is a little borderline on the stereotypical female) Dita and Sunny enjoy getting dressed up, doing their hair and all manner of pretty things, but they also enjoy other hobbies that are more stereotypically "male" and are happy to dress down. It's called balance and it's what I want my kids to learn, not "You are a girl, go and put on some make-up and impress some boys" and "You are a boy, go and act macho".

Last edited by cybele; August 10th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
August 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What? I'm so confused. So all men are the same and like women who wear make up? Cause that's not true. And women who don't wear make up don't look like women? Cause that's not true. Where do prostitues come in here? I'm confused.

I live in Italy, and many women *don't* wear make up and I don't see any men giving a rats patooty, well except the ones you wouldn't want to be with in the first place. And what about cultures that women are covered in their face?

Make up does not make a woman. A woman already is a woman no matter if she wears make up or not, wears a push up bra or not, has big boobs or small boobs, is tall or short, has brown hair or red hair.

I doubt you'll return to the debate, but if you do, where the heck are you from and have you ever traveled outside your town? Because you post is rather ignorant and my guess is no.

ETA: Because I like to feel like a smart ***** and provide links

Some of the men here say yes, some say no, most say depends on where they're going. These men are all around the world http://www.guysboysandmen.com/2011/0...real-guys.html

It's pretty stupid to basically say "women your husbands like it when you wear make up" because you know all of our husbands right? Just like with women some like men who have beards, mustaches, no facial hair, a gotee (sp?), long side burns, short hair, long hair, etc etc etc.

Last edited by HappyHippy; August 10th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
August 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Oh please. What is the point of me "sprucing it up" when the makeup is just going to melt off my face when I walk outside?
My husband works long hours, so I could put on makeup for him, so he could see me for what, 5 minutes? I'm sorry, but that just sounds like a waste of money to me.

Even when I did wear makeup, it wasn't to look like a woman- I have other "features" that do that for me. I did it because my mother wanted me to. (That's another story, for a different time.)

My SIL never wears makeup, she prefers to work on cars and do construction. She also has three kids and a husband that adores her.

Please, tell me how a mother forcing her child to do a pageant, force-feeding her sugary treats so that she's hyped up and "stage ready" is better than letting her climb trees and dig in the dirt.

Yeah... There's no point in this, she's not coming back.
HappyHippy likes this.

August 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG I missed the girls can't do boy stuff bit! Ugh seriously that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Where are these rules, and who made them up, that boys play in dirt and girls dress up? There are NO rules about that. That is a societal view that not every culture shares. I only have boys and then play with "boy" and "girl" stuff and I'm so glad they do. And I have friends with only girls who play like "boys". It's normal, it's called being a child.

Not all girls grow up to want to be housewives, SAHMs or do "girly" jobs. Plenty of women become Pilots, are in the Military, mechanics, etc. It's that type of mentality that keep women DOWN, and it's so sad to hear coming from another woman. We should be encouraging our children to explore and to go into any field they desire when they become adults.

There is so many things wrong with your post and I'm so glad I don't think like that, nor have these stupid and unreal expectations on a gender.
May14th2011 likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Quote:
Speak for yourself and what it sounds like your husband makes you do,but not every "man" in america is like this. Most actually love the natural look. A man that only wants to see you dolled up is not a man worth being with.

Last edited by .:Kati:.; September 1st, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search