Child Beauty Pageants

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are child beauty pageants (up to age 18) ok or are they harmful?

Is there a difference between the local dairy/corn/farmers Fair beauty and talent competition, and a larger scale beauty competition where the parents might have to travel and buy more outfits

What about ones that require headshots? Especially ones that require photoshop

What about the use of wigs, false teeth or heavy makeup on young children? Normal part of the biz, or outrageous?

January 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the hometown ones where kids are asked questions, have small perfomances, etc are okay.

The ones where kids do not look like kids are just ridiculous. I don;t like when parents start turning their child's pageants into a way to support themselves.
January 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What about the use of wigs, false teeth or heavy makeup on young children? Normal part of the biz, or outrageous?
Outrageous and definitely not "beauty" in any way. I had a dd who would have done very well in pageants but we chose to not go that route not only for her sake (risking attitude/what is not important in life) but for us as well (pride, competitiveness). The first and only pageant we took her to we left when we saw moms dressing their 3yodds in mini-wedding dresses and putting make-up on them. It was disgusting.

I'm all for parents sending in an untouched photo of their dc to contests or local fun pageants that leave kids "untouched" and natural as long as it's just for fun and doesn't get ugly (parents can be brutal!).
January 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
What do you think of these

January 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I don't like them. The association with Jon Benet Ramsey is too strong for me.

January 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
This

to this

January 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very nice WITHOUT the makeup and photo touching. Beauty pagents is one thing my daughter will never be in. When shes old enough to make up her own mind, fine, but being this young, I hate it. They're children, not dolls.

January 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like either picture - the more "natural" face or the done-up one. The "fixed" face is creepy IMO and the first one I can't stand the outfits...little girls in grown-up Vegas-style clothes?!
January 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
This one makes me throw up a little

To clarify, I'm only commenting on the portrait requirements of many of the major pageants, nothing else at this point. These are horrifying to me

To help with clarity, apparently there are 3 different levels of pageantry

Quote:
3 Levels Of Pageantry

Pageantry is a glamorous, exciting, multimillion dollar national past-time. Before you step into this world, consider the three types of pageants. Ask yourself: “What goals have I set for my children and family? How much time and money can I invest safely into this hobby? How do I feel about glamour and my child? Are we looking to win titles & crowns, break into modeling, win scholarships, or aid our community? Where do I see this hobby 5 years down the road?” Then, read the following information which is broken down into the three categories most pageants (birth-adult) fit into.

1. Professional/Full Glitz – Look at these as “Tiger Woods, Kelly Clarkson, Bill Gates, Bush Family” events.

Time demands: Full-time, year round; practice daily, travel weekly What-to-Buy: Everything is custom made, always new, by pageant designers and full of rhinestones, mirrors, beads, and sequins...Think Vegas Show Girl! These items cannot be purchased via catalogue or store! Minimally, attire is a gown with age appropriate accessories, a pro-am outfit, swimwear, western wear, and casual wear. Also required are photogenic pictures by a professional pageant photographer (approx. $750 per session, plus approx. $150 per print). Sears Portrait or Glamour Shots will not win only serious, pageant photographers’ photos. You will need at least three headshot photos to enter at every event.

Support Team: (Often listed on the pageant’s website, providing clues that the event is full glitz) A national level coach ($100-200 per hour) seen at least once a month to create on-stage routines and suggest designers/photographers; an airbrush tanner, nail technician, and hair & make-up artist at the pageant; resources for falls, wigglets, and/or hair extensions and hair pieces; false eyelashes; sometimes colored contacts.

Pageant Fees: $400.00 and up. Additional photos are usually $25.00 each; Budget for hotel, travel; hair & make-up at $300-$500; and a coaching session, tanning, and nail appointments per event. Average weekend cost - $1,500-$2,000.00

Yearly Financial Obligation: $30,000-$40,000

Prizes: Always a crown, banner, and trophy; Savings bonds to division queens, Mini-Supremes, and Over-All winners. Divisions bonds usually $500-1000.00, while the highest score for all the divisions for the whole event can win $10,000 bonds ($5,000).

Examples: Glamour Dolls Nationals, Fabulous Faces Nationals, and Tropical Dream Stars Nationals.

Hobby Glitz – Look at these like “American Idol Finalist, college professor, amateur golfer” events

Time Demands: Part-time – once a month, with travel limited to summer nationals
What-to-Buy: At this stage either contact a designer for clothing, ordering what is affordable as opposed to what is cutting edge/national. Or buy used clothing online from E-Bay or a pageant consignment shop. A gown, pro-am outfit, western wear, and swimwear are still required. Casual wear can be purchased at a store like Cashe’ or GAP. Pageant type photos are necessary, but an excellent local photographer who does digital retouching will suffice. Be sure to order 8X10 prints only!

Support Team: A coach you see every month or few months (rates stay the same); hair & make-up team at the pageant or Mom if good with pageant hair and stage make-up; tanning is optional (though recommended)

Pageant Fees: $195-$395; hair & make-up $150-$300.00; hotel and travel. Average weekend cost - $500-1,000.00. Yearly Financial Obligation: $10,000 – $15,000

Examples: Fabulous Faces Local Preliminary, Sunburst States, Cover Miss, Royal Majesty
Prizes: Always a crown, banner, and trophy; $100 - $500 savings bonds; entry fees off nationals (see above); toys/gifts.

Natural – At the other end of the spectrum are natural events. Contestant experience level varies, but the events are totally different from either glitz categories.

Time Demands: 2-3 events per year, depending on what is won; usually a local, state, then national of one system.

What-to-Buy: A beauty gown can be purchased from the mall or a bridal shop, from a Storybook Heirlooms catalogue, or on-line; a swimsuit or fitness wear (depending on age), and interview suit (pants and jacket/ skirt and jacket), and an opening number outfit assigned by the pageant.

Support Team: Friends and family, Pageantry Magazine and/or Supermodels Unlimited Magazine, a modeling class or two, and a health club membership for pre-teens and up.
Pageant Fees: This is different – In some systems state fees are higher, because you do not pay to go to nationals. You earn going to nationals. Other systems have fees at all levels. Factor in attire for the pageant, parties, & appearances, as well as travel. Meals and social events are often paid for by the pageant!

Prizes: Crown, banner, and trophy; HUGE prize packages from modeling contracts, to acting schools, to volunteer/fundraising opportunities, to cash & trips, to scholarships, to cosmetic dentistry, to appearance wardrobes, to business cards & photo shoots…directors are looking to give away awesome amounts of prizes AND appearances. Appearances include TV, print, and personal (hospitals, schools, etc.)

Examples: America Co-Ed state & national, Miss America/Teen America, Miss USA/Teen USA, Little Miss Hawaiian Tropics, Miss United States, Beauties of America (etc)

January 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
They all look ceramic to me. Not good. I feel if you have to do a drastic transformation to your child's natural beauty to make them presentable, then maybe that line of work is not for them. And what message is that sending to the child, your natural beauty is not beautiful enough so let's apply this, this, and this to amp it up.

January 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
I don't see anything wrong with small local pageants. As long as it's something the child enjoys and isn't being pushed into. We had one in my hometown that was put on by the Rotary Club and the proceeds went to charity
If what I've watched Toddlers and Tiaras is idicitive of "glitz" pageants, than I have to say that I do not agree with that sort of thing. I think those photo shopped headshots along with the wigs, skimpy clothes, and heavy make-up are just creepy.
January 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Those touched up photos remind me of this:

January 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post

Girl Stop!

January 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
lilflower
to Jess. It creeps me out. Majorly.
January 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
While the local amateur pageants are less nasty, I wouldn't let my daughter participate in any pageant at all. Even if it's a local, non-makeup/false whatever pageant, the kids are still being judged on looks and that's not something I want my daughter a part of.

Lisa
January 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
iMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I've heard that for some girls, the pageants can be good for self-esteem by promoting communication skills and making them feel comfortable in front of a crowd. That said, I think that it sends an message to girls (especially younger ones) that their value is dependent on their looks and presentation, instead of who they are as individuals (sure, there are talent portions, but that's only one small piece of the pageant puzzle). I think by the time they are fifteen or sixteen their self-image is pretty much formed, and thus, if it's something they are interested in then it might be less harmful. I can't say that with any certainty, though.

What about ones that require headshots? Especially ones that require photoshop I think the photoshopping is creeeeeeeepy!

What about the use of wigs, false teeth or heavy makeup on young children? Normal part of the biz, or outrageous? I think that these are especially harmful. They are sending a message to the child that who they are isn't good enough.
January 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Those touched up photos are creepy. I think children are naturally beautiful and don't need all of that extra stuff.

As for the pageants that use fake tans, fake teeth, ridiculous hair pieces and miniature hooker clothes . That's all I have to say about that.

January 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL Jess.

I am so opposed to beauty pageants on so many levels, for adults and for children. I believe they are harmful.
January 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post

Is there a difference between the local dairy/corn/farmers Fair beauty and talent competition, and a larger scale beauty competition where the parents might have to travel and buy more outfits

What about ones that require headshots? Especially ones that require photoshop

I have mixed feeling towards the whole thing. Audrey has been in two Beautiful Baby "Contests". I've seen the show on tv, basically the same thing, but Audrey went to the one at our local carnival, for ages 0-4. Those I am totally okay with, no entry fee and just fun for the family.

Now some.... most of the children on the TLC show are spoiled brats. Some, not many, but some are well behaved respecting kids. I like the Natural girls WAY better, I think the wigs, flippers (false teeth) excessive amounts of make-up and dresses that cost an arm and a leg is ridiculous. All that stuff does is make little girls think that to make people like them is to act goody goody and always worry about their appearance.

When I see the "Glitz/Glam" girls I immediately think of little Jon Benet Ramsey. I think natural pagents are okay up to 18, but those glitz/glam pageants are nothing but trouble wrapped up in a little girl made to look 20 years old.

If I had a daughter that wanted to do a glitz pageant, I would tell her she would have to pay for everything her self, but I would be more than happy to pay for a natural one for her.

And don't get me started on those stage parents! lol

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

January 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post

Do you have the original non-photoshopped version of this picture because I totally see the comparison too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search