Drug Use During Pregnancy?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I would say that in some cases, for instance anti-depressants, the benefits tend to out weigh the risks. A woman who tries to kill herself when she's pregnant is not any better for her unborn child than a woman who takes medication for her depression. I would like to say that if someone relies heavily on a given drug to function in society, and that drug is known to cause serious fetal problems, she should refrain from getting pregnant. It the results are iffy, then that's a judgment call between the woman and her spouse and her doctor.

As for recreational drugs.. I would say that certain ones are definitely out.. same with OTC medication. If it's been conclusively proven to cause harm (i.e. aspirin) then it should be avoided, period. There are generally alternatives, and if not.. well, we chose to get pregnant and we need to live with the consequences.

As much as I would love to take an anti-inflammatory for my raging arthritis issues, I just have to suffer through it and take Tylenol for the pain. But I chose to get pregnant, knowing I wouldn't be able to soothe my knees.

As for caffeine and alcohol.. I drink caffeine.. in large quantities. I don't think it's a big deal. I won't judge a mother for having a drink while she's pregnant, because more likely than not, that one beer on July 4th isn't going to hurt anything. I would definitely judge someone for getting completely wasted, though.
February 15th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I took Prozac while I was pregnant. I was on 100mg of Trazadone & 40mg of Prozac before I found out I was pregnant. I deal with ED and at the time was very underweight and had just gotten out of treatment. I got pregnant with our son after not have a menstrual cycle for over a year. We were not expecting to get pregnant or I wouldn't have been taking the medications. As soon as I found out, my OB had me stop both meds. That was bad news. I was having panic attacks and was just plain miserable. I ended up taking 20mg of Prozac through out of entire pregnancy. My son is so far a perfectly normal healthy little man and is ahead of the game in many ways. He is 10.5 months old and is already walking and talking up a storm. I hope things stay this way.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

February 15th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If there is a benefit to the medicine (like antidepressants) I say take the meds. Now if it can cause serious birth defects that can seriously hinder the child's quality of life, I'd say the best bet is to not take the meds or to parent by a different route, such as adoption.

I had to take vicodin for a bit because I was maybe miscarrying, having horrible cramps from contractions and intense pain from acid reflux, but the docs said I needed to be comfortable from the pain to stop me from possibly miscarrying. I took the meds and don't regret that. But as I said before, benefits outweigh risk.

But as for recreational drugs.... HECK no. That is wrong to me!
February 16th, 2010, 05:00 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I used to refrain from all drugs during pregnancy, until this one. The amount of pain I've been in has been absolutely debilitating. Some days I can hardly function just because of pain. I'm currently taking percocet and will probably switch to a different pain med after I see my doctor because I'm building up a tolerance. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have surgery which will subject me to morphine.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Illegal recreational drugs absolutely not.

Medications need to be discussed for your particular situation with your doctor.

OTC drugs, again, use judgement and talk to your doctor. Once I had a horrible cold, and at one point took a half dose of Tylenol Cold just to take the edge off so that I could function. Beyond that I didn't take anything.

Alcohol is tricky, because it is so individual how your body will process it, and you can't possibly know ahead of time. Thus, I think it's safer to say no alcohol. Is that glass of wine really worth the risk? However, if a woman is in her third trimester and has one drink at a party, I'm not really going to judge her for it. Drinking through the first and second though, IMO are a definite no no.

Caffeine? Well, the study that showed caffeine to be so harmful used huge amounts of caffeine. It's been shown that a cup of coffee a day should be just fine. I had a cup every morning. It's likely not a good idea to be downing caffeine all day of course.

February 16th, 2010, 09:57 AM
EquestrianMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drink sodas everyday (normally no more than 2) and take tylenol with codiene for chronic pain. I don't take the meds everyday, only a few times a week when regular tylenol isn't controlling it. I also take Ambien for insomnia, when it gets really bad. I honestly think that if you have a legit reason for taking a medication during pregnancy, and the risks are low, then (with doc consent) you should take it. There have been studies that show that depression during pregnancy can harm a baby, and that taking the meds is much safer for everyone involved.

Thank you Quantum_leap for my AMAZING siggy!
February 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Truth be told, even most OTC medications won't do any real damage if you only take them once. That half dose of Nyquil or that one packet of BC Powder? I really don't think it'd be an issue.
February 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did drink some caffeine during pregnancy, but did not take anything, no meds, no alcohol, nothing. But I don;t take medication when I am not pregnant anyways, I do not think I have taken even a tylenol in years. I am just the type to sit through a headache, I have REALLY insanely high pain tolerence. I am not looking down on anyone who takes meds, I just don't.

That being said I was on anti-biotics a few weeks ago for the first time since childhood...maybe since I was 12? And was very thankful for them!
February 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I did pop over to see the survey (it's actually the 4th or 5th Google choice) and on the very first page, you give no option for a child to have been living with (at the time of birth) or to be living with BOTH biological parents; your options are the mother, the father, other members of the family, adoptive parents, in foster care, or other.

Is there a specific reason why that option was left out? Should it not be an important part of your study? Choosing 'other' is not a valid option for a study where simply adding in the 2 bio parent option would provide you with correct information rather than an assumption of the results.

February 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
When pg I cut back massively on caffeine, allowing myself an occasional glass of tea. I will take a daily low dose aspirin BUT that's to PREVENT m/c on my part. I have a clotting disorder that warrants this. Other than that, I take NOTHING.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 17th, 2010, 05:18 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an occasional Tylenol and took some Benedryl, but that's it. Oh, I had a little caffeine. I would have a small chai tea once a month. And whatever caffeine chocolate had in it. But I was very careful. I went through enough to HAVE the girls, so I didn't want to do anything to jeapordize it.

I do think it is ok for a pregnant woman to have an OCCASIONAL glass of wine. Not daily though.

Tags
pregnancy , prenatal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search