Little Girls and Finger Nail/Toe Nail Polish

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Let's say under seven years of age. Yes or no?

March 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eh. My sister is 7 and she ALWAYS (literally always) has her toes and fingernails painted. She is obsessed though with her appearance. Example: My mom told me this morning that my sister was standing in front of the mirror measuring the length of the sides of her hair and proclaimed that one side was longer than the other. She said she could not go to school looking like that.

I think painting your nails at 7 is fine, but I also think it may lead to a preoccupation with your looks which I don't think is okay at such a young age.

I'm sure my sister is in the minority though.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I have a 6 year old princess daughter that just loooooves painting her nails.

I also painted her nails when she was about 6 months old, and oh my gosh, I thought my ex's family was going to kill me. They said it was horrible and wasn't good for her....... yet they wouldn't give breast milk to her because "formula is better."

Yeah. Whatever.

I don't think nail polish remover should be used on them as a baby, their nails grow so fast that it won't be on long. When they get older, sure. Just wash their hands really well after. I always used a Q-Tip to get paint off Lily's nails and then washed them really well after.

I'm probably going to get stones thrown at me for it, but meh, my kiddo is 6, she obviously lived through me painting her nails as a baby
March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
aussiemummy
My 1 year old has had her nails painted once. It was adorable.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Serendipity3
Yes. My 7 year old gets her fingers and toes done at the spa when I go every 2 weeks. She likes to have nail art and rhinestones.

I started painting her fingers once in a while when she turned 3, because she wanted it done.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
My niece...she's 6 gets the spa pedicures as well.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get my girls kids nail polish.The kind that when dry,can be peeled off like a thin layer of plastic,or it can easily be washed off with soap and water.Its non-toxic and totally harmless,so if they happen to bite thier nails or get a little in their mouth,its fine.

Noelia is 22 months old and she loves getting her nails done by my older daughter Amalia.They take turns and do each others toes etc,its fun and its so adorable!
Once they´re done playing,I take them into the bathroom and wash it all off.Its cute! Its part of being a little girl

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

Last edited by Gina1978; March 2nd, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Sure. Why not? My girls love having theirs painted.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
I sometimes paint my daughter's toenails. She's 3 and gets a big kick out of it.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Once in a blue moon I'll paint my DD's nails (probably starting around the age of 3, she's 4 now). For Halloween she had glow in the dark nailpolish that even I was jealous of lol It rarely lasts for a day - it always ends up peeling or getting chipped off by playing. Typically it's always been kids' nail polish as well.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally would not paint a baby's nails because they're always putting their hands into their mouth. My doctor told me that most nail polish is toxic, so unless it is the non-toxic kind, then I shouldn't do it.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm having such a hard time imagining a 2-year-old sitting still long enough to not get the polish all over everything.

I don't think it's a big deal. I imagine I won't do it to/for my girls, but that's more because I suck at painting nails and don't keep nail polish around anyways. If she wants it done, and specifically asks for it, I wouldn't tell her no. She may just have to get a friend to do it if it she wants it to look decent.
March 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I paint my niece's nails ALLLLLL the time, she just turned three. She loves it! We use non toxic kids stuff.

March 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If Dexter had been a girl, I'd paint those little toes all the time! Big fat yes!

March 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ive been painting jessies toe nails literally since she was under a year (i wanna say i started somewheres between 6-7 months old)..now shes 2 and LOVES having her nails/toes painted..there isnt a day she doesnt have her nails painted..and she sits really well through it..i dont think its wrong if the little girl enjoys it (my aunt has a 7 year old that crews it)..its only a pain when i dont feel like doing it and she gets upset and i end uo doing it

March 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I'm having such a hard time imagining a 2-year-old sitting still long enough to not get the polish all over everything.
THIS is why we use the kiddy nail polish! lol.It comes OUT of clothes and furniture and washes off of the walls.
A 22 month old doesnt exactly have patience to paint inside the nail.Noe has done mine a few times and its actually gotten on my face!
So yeah,its not easy.She has fun though...even thoug afterwards it looks like I put my hand in the food mixer and cut it all up

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

March 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I may or may not have painted my son's toes when he was baby. I admit nothing.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjoys View Post
I may or may not have painted my son's toes when he was baby. I admit nothing.

Yes I do it. Not to baby because they eat their fingers and toes, lol - but Kailey is obsessed, I have a ton of toenail polish for her.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess I'm the oddball. I wouldn't do it. Then again, I only paint my toenails a few times each summer and I can't even remember the last tme I had my fingernails painted.
March 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
I guess I'm the oddball. I wouldn't do it. Then again, I only paint my toenails a few times each summer and I can't even remember the last tme I had my fingernails painted.

Me either, I wouldn't do it, not that I think anything is WRONG with it I just don't do makeup, I have NEVER in my entire life had my finger or toenails painted. Ever. And never plan to. Its just not my thing.

But if I did, I would totally paint my sons toenails and fingernails...my 21 month old would love it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search