How young is to young to spank

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope this does not turn ugly. I know this type can.

I have a friend on face book. Actually I used to go to church with her family and they are great people. So this is the oldest child and she is married and has a baby. I think the baby is about ten months old. She could be a month older but I know she has not turned a year yet. Anyways the mom has a facebook account for her and the babies status said "I just got a spanking" I was like WTH?? I did not say anything because the mom is not a close friend or anything. If she was I might have said something. I just can not believe someome would actually spank a baby. I thought I heard it all and the grandma of the baby said your mom got a spanking when she was younger then you. To be honest I do not believe its approiate to spank a child a that young.

So I am wondering what you all think is a approiate time to start spanking a child.
March 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
chlodoll
Well I dont really feel its ever appropriate but if someone was going to spank I dont think it should be done before an age of understanding, that could be very scary for a child if their parent is hitting them and they dont know why!
March 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not a fan of spanking anyways, but I would hope that would be too young even in the pro-spanking crowd.

We were stationed with a family who were very fundamental Baptists and Bible literalists. They spanked their infant, too, and explained to their toddler that they spank because thats what God wants. I always wondered what those kids would grow up to think of God.

March 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Without knowing the context of spanking, or how the parent and grand parent define spanking, I can't really say. I will say that it's way too young for a disciplinary spanking, but "spanking" is often a game to people too. My son thinks it's hilarious when I chase him around the house trying to "spank him."
March 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
^ I guess she could have meant that, it was a game in our house too growing up. I truly hope she meant that, because babies are too young to be physically disciplined.

March 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not think its a game. The grandma was said the word "discipline" hurts at the moment or something like that. I just can not wrap my head around how someone could smack a ten month old on the butt. I am not pro or anti spanking but I just still can not believe someone would actually smack a ten month old on the butt.
March 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Never.

edit: Never as in I never think it's appropriate to spank, not that it's never too young to spank

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Last edited by Earthy.Mama; March 3rd, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
March 3rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it is too young when the child can't even understand or comprehend that they did something wrong, or if the child is too young to even begin to try to reason with.

March 3rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I'm curious as to what a baby could do to deserve a spanking??
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I'm curious as to what a baby could do to deserve a spanking??

I have been wondering the same thing myself.
March 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
"Discipline hurts?" Yikes. No discipline should physically hurt, in my book, and especially not a ten month old. I don't hit my dogs, let alone a child or an infant.

Actually, I am okay with an occasional swat on the butt, but it has to be truly occasional, reserved for the child is losing their faculties and you need their attention NOW. I still don't think that is the ideal discipline, but I don't gasp in horror at it. And this would be for a child, not a baby.

March 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
I think it is too young when the child can't even understand or comprehend that they did something wrong, or if the child is too young to even begin to try to reason with.
A 10-month-old can understand that they did something wrong. Doesn't make it okay to spank them, just saying they have the mental capacity to realize you did not approve of that action.
March 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
A 10-month-old can understand that they did something wrong. Doesn't make it okay to spank them, just saying they have the mental capacity to realize you did not approve of that action.
I don't think a 10 month old is old enough to reason with, which I also said would make the child too young. I don't think there is anything a 10 month old could do that would warrant that kind of discipline.

March 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
I don't think a 10 month old is old enough to reason with, which I also said would make the child too young. I don't think there is anything a 10 month old could do that would warrant that kind of discipline.
She wasn't saying that warrants that type of discipline, just that babies are capable of reading our expressions/emotions and knowing when something displeases us.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
She wasn't saying that warrants that type of discipline, just that babies are capable of reading our expressions/emotions and knowing when something displeases us.
yes, that. My daughter is 10-months-old, and though I've never spanked her she knows I do not like it when she tries to make me bald by pulling my hair out. A ten-month-old can be deserving of discipline in general, but not physical discipline beyond physically unwrapping her fingers from my hair.

I don't disagree with the concept of spanking, but I also don't think it should ever physically hurt. I would never spank my child in a disciplinary fashion any harder than I would when I catch him after the five minute chase around the house mentioned in an above post.
March 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
lilflower
I think that is too young. I don't really agree with spanking. I've come to terms that sometimes it may be necessary...but right now it's still not my method.
March 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't believe in spanking at all, so there is no age where it is appropriate.
March 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
I don't believe in spanking at all, so there is no age where it is appropriate.
I don't know, I think 18 and consenting is all right

March 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
^^^That.
I don't agree with any spanking or coral punishment(sp?).

March 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't agree with spanking at all. But if I did, 10 months is way too young.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search