Log In Sign Up

Marijuana makes me a better mom


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
March 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Well, I am going to probably get bashed by some, but here goes...

I am an advocate for safer marijuana usage. This does not mean safer usage for the person smoking it, safer for those around them too. I am also very pro legalization of marijuana. It is decriminalized where I live, so I really don't want to hear the "it's illegal and your kids will get taken away" for what I am about to say, because that's not true.

I personally smoke every once in a great while, I'd say the last time was about 2 months ago, time before that maybe a month, and before that about 6 months. I have chronic headaches and we are tasting to see if marijuana works. I haven't brought it up to my doctor yet because my sister was with me at my last appointment and she is very anti-marijuana. But I take prescription pain pills every day. I am prescribed vicodin and percocet... so you all tell me, what is better, something natural or something that could do a lot of damage to my liver?

Besides that rant... I'd never, ever, ever drive stoned. I know my limits and know that 1 to 2 hits is more than enough for me, I can not handle more. I am a lightweight, I know this, so I have never smoked alone with Lily because that is putting her in danger if I go past my limits. I do live with my parents, so they watch her if it gets to the point that I need to sleep. I do not advocate smoking to a point where your actions can be influenced by marijuana and parent taking abilities are hindered.

People CAN smoke and not have their abilities hindered. My Mom has a prescription for medical marijuana, it is for her medical problems, and believe me, she is a better person when she's not in pain. So does that allow her to parent better? Yes. I also can't remember the last time she smoked so much she acted stupid. When she is watching Lily alone she will not smoke, but does she smoke when Lily and I are here? Yes. It doesn't effect her, it doesn't render her useless. It's also a better alternative to pain meds. Her doctor straight up told her "Your stress level needs to come down, if smoking helps you de-stress, then by all means use that to help you de-stress as well as control pain."

So while I do think smoking and driving, smoking where you are noticeably stoned around kids, smoking in front of kids (you get the idea) is wrong. But I do not think marijuana is bad. Bad choices can be made by the person on marijuana, but it does not make marijuana in and of itself bad.

So hate the choices, but don't hate the plant.

That's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I think people are clueless about the beneficial uses of marijuana.
Amen, a thousand times over.

Most who are against it are against it because they are clueless about the uses, or they know someone who is the typical stoner that doesn't do anything and so they think all are like that or will become that.

Or they just say its illegal. Well people better not download music from napster and such... that's illegal too.

But in many places marijuana is becoming legal. If it's legal in some parts of the US, it should be legal in all parts. People just need to get with the program, there are so many usages to marijuana, but the stereotypes dumbs those uses down.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
March 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
I do not have anything against MJ personally. In fact, even though I don't do it myself, I pretty much equate it to drinking alcohol. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, it was political reasons that it became illegal.

Replace a few beers with m.j. and y'all would be burning her at the stake.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #23  
March 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
Well, I am going to probably get bashed by some, but here goes...

I am an advocate for safer marijuana usage. This does not mean safer usage for the person smoking it, safer for those around them too. I am also very pro legalization of marijuana. It is decriminalized where I live, so I really don't want to hear the "it's illegal and your kids will get taken away" for what I am about to say, because that's not true.

I personally smoke every once in a great while, I'd say the last time was about 2 months ago, time before that maybe a month, and before that about 6 months. I have chronic headaches and we are tasting to see if marijuana works. I haven't brought it up to my doctor yet because my sister was with me at my last appointment and she is very anti-marijuana. But I take prescription pain pills every day. I am prescribed vicodin and percocet... so you all tell me, what is better, something natural or something that could do a lot of damage to my liver?

Besides that rant... I'd never, ever, ever drive stoned. I know my limits and know that 1 to 2 hits is more than enough for me, I can not handle more. I am a lightweight, I know this, so I have never smoked alone with Lily because that is putting her in danger if I go past my limits. I do live with my parents, so they watch her if it gets to the point that I need to sleep. I do not advocate smoking to a point where your actions can be influenced by marijuana and parent taking abilities are hindered.

People CAN smoke and not have their abilities hindered. My Mom has a prescription for medical marijuana, it is for her medical problems, and believe me, she is a better person when she's not in pain. So does that allow her to parent better? Yes. I also can't remember the last time she smoked so much she acted stupid. When she is watching Lily alone she will not smoke, but does she smoke when Lily and I are here? Yes. It doesn't effect her, it doesn't render her useless. It's also a better alternative to pain meds. Her doctor straight up told her "Your stress level needs to come down, if smoking helps you de-stress, then by all means use that to help you de-stress as well as control pain."

So while I do think smoking and driving, smoking where you are noticeably stoned around kids, smoking in front of kids (you get the idea) is wrong. But I do not think marijuana is bad. Bad choices can be made by the person on marijuana, but it does not make marijuana in and of itself bad.

So hate the choices, but don't hate the plant.

That's just me though.



Amen, a thousand times over.

Most who are against it are against it because they are clueless about the uses, or they know someone who is the typical stoner that doesn't do anything and so they think all are like that or will become that.

Or they just say its illegal. Well people better not download music from napster and such... that's illegal too.

But in many places marijuana is becoming legal. If it's legal in some parts of the US, it should be legal in all parts. People just need to get with the program, there are so many usages to marijuana, but the stereotypes dumbs those uses down.


Agreed., with all points. I broke my spine in an accident and was on some HEAVY percs. I can say for sure that a joint would have been better off for me then those pills.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #24  
March 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
And these women aren't saying they use it recreationally in their own time or medically - they are using it IN ORDER to take care of their children!
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #25  
March 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
And these women aren't saying they use it recreationally in their own time or medically - they are using it IN ORDER to take care of their children!
Maybe her children are annoying.


















Sorry. That was just a silly joke. Haha.
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #26  
March 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Maybe her children are annoying.


















Sorry. That was just a silly joke. Haha.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #27  
March 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
That doesn't even make sense.

So we should only hold the worst of the worst parents capable of their irresponsible actions?
I'm pretty sure you already know that's not what I meant. I don't really equate pot as being any worse than many prescription medications, in terms of impairment. There are worse things than smoking pot that people feel they need to do to get through the day. I didn't see the show.. all I know is that they think smoking pot makes them a better parent. I don't know what their kids are like, I don't know what their lives are like, I don't know what their options are.

For harder than average kids, I can understand needing some help. For medical conditions, I can understand needing some help. I don't think that needing to be under the influence of a drug to be a successful parent is automatically "something wrong with you."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
March 4th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
If I had my sisters kids... I'd probably be an alcoholic. Is that horrible to say? I know it is, but holy crap man, the stories I could tell about those kids **shakes head**
Reply With Quote
  #29  
March 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I'm pretty sure you already know that's not what I meant. I don't really equate pot as being any worse than many prescription medications, in terms of impairment. There are worse things than smoking pot that people feel they need to do to get through the day. I didn't see the show.. all I know is that they think smoking pot makes them a better parent. I don't know what their kids are like, I don't know what their lives are like, I don't know what their options are.

For harder than average kids, I can understand needing some help. For medical conditions, I can understand needing some help. I don't think that needing to be under the influence of a drug to be a successful parent is automatically "something wrong with you."
We'll just have to disagree then because I do not find it acceptable at all.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #30  
March 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
We'll just have to disagree then because I do not find it acceptable at all.
I thought I said I didn't find it acceptable? Twice actually. I just understand why they might think it is, and I don't think it's the worst possible option.

Keep in mind that I've never smoked pot, and I really don't know how much it can actually impair someone.. I'm just going by what I've read/heard/seen over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
March 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
A year ago I would have crucified moms like that. Now I can see where they are coming from. I'm on percocet for pain related to the EDS (which there is currently a petition underway to allow MJ to be prescribed to EDS patients for pain). I don't take it to better take care of my kids mentally, but to help take care of them physically. However, a side affect is that I am much calmer and relaxed when it comes to my children. I do think it makes me a much more patient mom. In a way, it relieves the anxiety and stress. So while you think these moms are taking it and it's much different than a mom taking anti-anxiety meds I don't see it as much of a difference.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
March 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 19,171
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
If it's legal where you live that's fine... but here in the US, without a prescription, it's illegal. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
I think it's irresponsible to do it if you have children. All it takes is 1 time of getting busted with a few joints on you and you land in jail. Who will care for your kids then? From what I know about benefits of marijuana, I think it should be legal and regulated similar to alcohol... but it's not yet. And I just couldn't take that chance of getting my daughter taken away from me for using it. I don't think it's okay for someone else to do either in that situation. If you want to take that chance, fine. But I don't condone it.
Just to clarify (again) I am referring to areas where marijuana use is illegal without a prescription.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #33  
March 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
Tomorrow I'm going to drink some beer while watching my kids because they really stress me out. I may even possibly drive somewhere - who knows *shrugs*

But I'll be a better mom tomorrow than I am today.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #34  
March 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I thought I said I didn't find it acceptable? Twice actually. I just understand why they might think it is, and I don't think it's the worst possible option.

Keep in mind that I've never smoked pot, and I really don't know how much it can actually impair someone.. I'm just going by what I've read/heard/seen over the years.
It can render someone nearly unconscious, or it can make them just as they normally are.

My Mom? You can't even tell. Me? I can't handle it, I don't like the feeling of being stoned so I go to sleep. My boyfriend? Handles it just fine. Some of our friends? Man, they could be locked in the loony bin.

Depends on the amount smoked, sometimes the way its ingested and amount, the person, the strength of the plant... a lot of factors go into it, but it doesn't automatically mean ALL weed makes a person not able to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
If it's legal where you live that's fine... but here in the US, without a prescription, it's illegal. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
DENVER LEGALIZES MARIJUANA 53% - 46%! | Cannabis Culture Magazine

It's legal where I live

So no, it's not illegal everywhere. So if I got busted smoking tomorrow, would it look bad since Im a parent? sure. Would it make them take my kids away because of it? No, as it is legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
If it's legal where you live that's fine... but here in the US, without a prescription, it's illegal. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
DENVER LEGALIZES MARIJUANA 53% - 46%! | Cannabis Culture Magazine

It's legal where I live

So no, it's not illegal everywhere. So if I got busted smoking tomorrow, would it look bad since Im a parent? sure. Would it make them take my kids away because of it? No, as it is legal.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
March 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to drink some beer while watching my kids because they really stress me out. I may even possibly drive somewhere - who knows *shrugs*

But I'll be a better mom tomorrow than I am today.

Was that really necessary? So those of us who take mood altering drugs, be it anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, or pain killers are horrible parents if taking them also has the affect of making us more patient?
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
March 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 0
I think it is wrong for the simple fact that it is illegal and doing anything illegal while you are a parent is irresponsible. If you get caught and go to jail what is going to happen to your children? I also think it is irresponsible to drink if you do not have another sober adult in the house with you (and the kids) I do think worse things happen with drunk people than stoned people (that have only smoked marijuana, not harder drugs) but just because it is illegal it is stupid for a parent to do - and to think that it makes them a better mom while high is ridiculous.
__________________
Joseph born 5/18
adored by his 2 big sisters!



Reply With Quote
  #37  
March 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Was that really necessary? So those of us who take mood altering drugs, be it anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, or pain killers are horrible parents if taking them also has the affect of making us more patient?
If you had read my responses to the entire thread you'd know that would be a "no".
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........


Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .


Reply With Quote
  #38  
March 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
so then I'm confused by your passive aggressive post?
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
March 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Did it actually say whether the moms had anxiety/depression or not? Because if they don't actually have diagnosed anxiety or depression and are just smoking weed because they simply want to calm down, that's a load of crap, imo. They need to find other non-illegal ways. If they actually do suffer from anxiety/depression, that's a different story.


Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #40  
March 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
I'd like to know where she lives. Everyone keeps harping on this illegal issue, but it is NOT illegal everywhere!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0