Marijuana makes me a better mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Lisa, you know most doctors just ask you questions to determine if you have anxiety? You tell them you are nervous, they ask you questions, and boom. You are diagnosed and prescribed one of the many mood stabilizing drugs that are on the market.

March 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am never in favor of parents doing illegal drugs, because of what Melissa said. If pot were legal and they did it while not in the care of their kids I wouldn't care.

March 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Even if they have never been formally diagnosed a lot of people with mood disorders self medicate.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Lisa, you know most doctors just ask you questions to determine if you have anxiety? You tell them you are nervous, they ask you questions, and boom. You are diagnosed and prescribed one of the many mood stabilizing drugs that are on the market.
Its true. It was easy as pie for me to get a script for Xanax. I don't abuse it, I would use one evey month to three months, but I remember thinking that it seemed too simple.

Also, I never take Xanax or pain meds when I am the sole parent in the house. I was given pain meds for my stitches, and I never even filled the script. I think parents who truly need the pills should take them, but unless you NEED to, I don't think parents should take altering legal drugs while they are the only parent "on duty."

BTW, I like run-on sentences today. Enjoy.

March 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
When I first started taking the pain killers Chris would have to be home for me to do it. Now I've built up a tolerance and don't have the crazy head side affects, but it still makes me more calm.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Trust me, I know the procedure. Regardless, they are DIAGNOSED. This is off topic slightly, but throwing some pills at someone isn't going to make it all better. Medication is only one piece of the puzzle.

And to the poster that said a lot of people with anxiety and depression self medicate - I don't agree with that either.

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
When I first started taking the pain killers Chris would have to be home for me to do it. Now I've built up a tolerance and don't have the crazy head side affects, but it still makes me more calm.
But the difference here is that you have a serious, diagnosed disease. The purpose of the pills is to alleviate your pain, and of course being more calm will be a side effect. Someone who is in constant, debilitating pain isn't going to be very calm. The impression I got from the OP is that these women are smoking pot because they feel like it.

Lisa

March 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa*G View Post
Trust me, I know the procedure. Regardless, they are DIAGNOSED. This is off topic slightly, but throwing some pills at someone isn't going to make it all better. Medication is only one piece of the puzzle.

And to the poster that said a lot of people with anxiety and depression self medicate - I don't agree with that either.

Lisa

But the difference here is that you have a serious, diagnosed disease. The purpose of the pills is to alleviate your pain, and of course being more calm will be a side effect. Someone who is in constant, debilitating pain isn't going to be very calm. The impression I got from the OP is that these women are smoking pot because they feel like it.

Lisa
Yes, they are smoking it because they want to not because they have to. Well, one mother used it because she had cancer, but even after her cancer was gone she continued to use it and even got her daughter medical card because she said she likes using the MJ because it's more natural than the pills.

Here, watch this segment, it pretty much sums them up. It's only about 10 minutes long. YouTube - Soccer Mom Stoners Part 2. It's a little hard to understand because of the quality, but it gets the point across.

March 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Ok this is hilarious. In the first 30seconds did anyone notice that the women who smoke pot looked happy and the ones who didn't looked pissed?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Tofu Bacon
If I had the balls to go out and score some MJ (did I say that right? its been a while) I wouldn't be opposed to an occasional indulgence after the kids are in bed. Its probably no worse than my Friday Night Merlot, other than the fact that Merlot is legal.
March 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
*sips fresca and catches up with the reading*

March 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
mama_reese's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, not ok. It's illegal and just because you "think" something doesn't effect you, doesn't mean it doesn't. It's illegal for a reason. Just my thoughts!

March 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think people are clueless about the beneficial uses of marijuana. They think it is only used for getting stoned, while not looking for a job, and running over kids that ride their bikes in fast food parking lots.

I don't smoke weed. I don't take prescription drugs. I don't drink while I have to drive my son or without another adult around me. But marijuana isn't much different than any pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medication. This much I know.

I am not going to judge the mom that takes Xanax any differently than I would judge the mom that hits a joint here and there. Even though I don't require either.
Actually, it is different. Plus it is illegal. Driving while high, parenting while is not ok. Drinking/getting drunk while kids are awake is not ok.

March 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_reese View Post
No, not ok. It's illegal and just because you "think" something doesn't effect you, doesn't mean it doesn't. It's illegal for a reason. Just my thoughts!
You're right, it is illegal for a reason and those reasons have ZERO to do with the effects it has on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
Actually, it is different. Plus it is illegal. Driving while high, parenting while is not ok. Drinking/getting drunk while kids are awake is not ok.
I didn't say driving while high was okay. Or getting high while taking care of children was okay. I said that some anti anxiety meds can have a similar effect on the body as marijuana. I have done both and it is pretty similar.

March 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree that there are SOME doctors who make it really easy to get the meds. But, anyone who wants these meds should be going to a psychiatrist first, where they really can diagnose you properly.

Quote:
You're right, it is illegal for a reason and those reasons have ZERO to do with the effects it has on the body.

I didn't say driving while high was okay. Or getting high while taking care of children was okay. I said that some anti anxiety meds can have a similar effect on the body as marijuana. I have done both and it is pretty similar.
I didn't say you said driving while high was ok, that was just my opinion from the OP. I also have done both. And they do not do the same things to your brain. Even each anti-depressant acts on your brain in a slightly different way. That's why some meds work for some people, and not for others. And if you actually have real depression and/or anxiety, the meds won't make you feel "high" but will make you feel normal and able to function.

March 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
DENVER LEGALIZES MARIJUANA 53% - 46%! | Cannabis Culture Magazine

It's legal where I live

So no, it's not illegal everywhere. So if I got busted smoking tomorrow, would it look bad since Im a parent? sure. Would it make them take my kids away because of it? No, as it is legal.
Doesn't federal law override the state/city law? I was under the impression it was just the lowest priority for cops there and typically ignored, not that it was completely legal. I know there are some areas where it's decriminalized and you won't necessarily face jail time, but it's still illegal. You just get a fine and misdemeanor.
I'm not even sure where to look to find out exactly how it works.

March 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
Doesn't federal law override the state/city law? I was under the impression it was just the lowest priority for cops there and typically ignored, not that it was completely legal. I know there are some areas where it's decriminalized and you won't necessarily face jail time, but it's still illegal. You just get a fine and misdemeanor.
I'm not even sure where to look to find out exactly how it works.
It's still illegal according to our state laws. The law that was passed doesn't actually mean much; it's more symbolic than anything.

March 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
It's still illegal according to our state laws. The law that was passed doesn't actually mean much; it's more symbolic than anything.
Really? I had a friend get busted the other day, all she had happen was her pipe and weed taken away and told not to smoke in public. Not sure where she was, but they did not write her a ticket for possession or consumption. I believe she lives in Lakewood, and I think she was hanging out in that general area when she got caught.

I've had quite a few friends busted and most say the same thing, got their stuff taken away and thats it. I think I've had one friend pay a fine, but no jail time, nothing.
March 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
According to the women on Tyra, they were doing it (except for the cancer patient and her child who had problems from a car accident) they were doing it just to mellow out.

WHY are drugs the thing they turn to? What if I said I popped a zanax (without being diagnosed with anything) just to mellow out?

People are under the assumption that because they smoke weed to calm down they must have an anxiety disorder. If that is the case, we ALL must have some type of anxiety disorder because we ALL need to mellow out with our kids once in a while. Drugs should NOT be the go-to to do this. Prescription medication should not be the go to to deal with this... this meaning - the daily troubles of being a parent.

If you have a legitimate reason for smoking pot (medical) or you have a legitimate reason for taking prescription medication for anxiety and/or the side effects just so happen to make you a less-stressful mother does NOT mean it is ok to do drugs FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of lessening the stress of being a parent.

Parenting is stressful. Period. Deal with it.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
I agree that there are SOME doctors who make it really easy to get the meds. But, anyone who wants these meds should be going to a psychiatrist first, where they really can diagnose you properly.

I didn't say you said driving while high was ok, that was just my opinion from the OP. I also have done both. And they do not do the same things to your brain. Even each anti-depressant acts on your brain in a slightly different way. That's why some meds work for some people, and not for others. And if you actually have real depression and/or anxiety, the meds won't make you feel "high" but will make you feel normal and able to function.
I can see that. I can also see how if it makes you feel better for the moment (weed) it won't be doing the same thing to your brain that an anti depressant would. Marijuana is a depressant after all. I felt like xanax and marijuana were similar...but I have no clue what the actual differences are in the brain.

March 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
According to the women on Tyra, they were doing it (except for the cancer patient and her child who had problems from a car accident) they were doing it just to mellow out.

WHY are drugs the thing they turn to? What if I said I popped a zanax (without being diagnosed with anything) just to mellow out?

People are under the assumption that because they smoke weed to calm down they must have an anxiety disorder. If that is the case, we ALL must have some type of anxiety disorder because we ALL need to mellow out with our kids once in a while. Drugs should NOT be the go-to to do this. Prescription medication should not be the go to to deal with this... this meaning - the daily troubles of being a parent.

If you have a legitimate reason for smoking pot (medical) or you have a legitimate reason for taking prescription medication for anxiety and/or the side effects just so happen to make you a less-stressful mother does NOT mean it is ok to do drugs FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of lessening the stress of being a parent.

Parenting is stressful. Period. Deal with it.
I don't know. I thought there were some great examples in this thread why maybe we should be a little more accepting of why a mom would smoke weed. Yeah, I know you're more referring to the women on the Tyra Banks show and trust me, I know a few people like that in real life.. The truth is most people don't have good coping tools. I don't use weed and I do look down on *some* people I know who do smoke it with kids but I do know some people I don't look down on who smoke with kids. I think we can't judge all the moms the same because it's so unique in each case.

I was recently at a comedy stand up show and the comedian was feeling out the crowd for weed jokes. Well in the bathroom, I over heard a woman saying that in Vancouver, that same comedian will give the best weed jokes because weed smoking is so much more accepted there. Truly I think that state to state, province to province, there is cultural differences on the topic of weed smoking and weed smoking with kids. I used to have zero tolerance for weed smoking too but I can't judge some of these posters the same as my abusive dad smoking weed. I think it's like drinking alcohol where some people can be more responsible with it than others. Unfortunately it's the irresponsible ones we base our feelings on.

My personal reasons for not smoking weed is more related to my past but the more and more moms I meet that do occasionally smoke it aren't bad moms, they are good moms and seem to have good boundaries with it. I think allopathic medicines can also be looked at the same. Sure there are some people who abuse them, but if they are serving a purpose with responsible moms, what's the harm? I firmly believe in alternative medicine and like it or not, weed is a great alternative medicine. (Hopefully one day I'll be able to embrace it with a more positive spirit.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search