Marijuana makes me a better mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not illegal in Michigan anymore - but I am not sure how it is regulated. All I know is a man from my old church grows it for medicinal use & is a making a butt-load of money from it. LOL

As for the OP - if they aren't stoned & just use to take the edge off & if they can do so legally I really don't care. When I am done nursing I plan to go back to having a glass of wine on a more regular basis & I KNOW it helps me relax. I also know I am really petite (and an alcohol light-weight) & keep alcohol consumption to almost nil while Bf because of it.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

March 5th, 2010, 02:37 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
Really? I had a friend get busted the other day, all she had happen was her pipe and weed taken away and told not to smoke in public. Not sure where she was, but they did not write her a ticket for possession or consumption. I believe she lives in Lakewood, and I think she was hanging out in that general area when she got caught.

I've had quite a few friends busted and most say the same thing, got their stuff taken away and thats it. I think I've had one friend pay a fine, but no jail time, nothing.
It depends on where you are in the state. In the Denver metro area, whether it be Denver, Littleton, Aurora, Thornton, Westminster, etc, it's really not a big deal. It DOES depend on which agency is involved, however. Lakewood won't care as much as say... Brighton and Adams County. In Gunnison, Durango or Grand Junction? You're pretty much screwed. Now if you live in Aspen or Vail or any of the other ski resorts, HAH, they REALLY don't care! Half of those towns are high; they'd be arresting all the "great" citizens for pot offenses.
March 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I am out of Prozac, and I have been debating for a week and a half about whether I'm going to refill it. A couple of nights ago, after Caitie went to bed, I sat on the couch and cried because I was feeling sad and completely overwhelmed by the day's events. Mind you, nothing major happened that day - was just a regular day. DF convinced me to join him outside and take a puff of a joint (and it didn't take much convincing - I probably would've downed some bleach if I knew it had the ability to make me happy), and it wasn't half bad. I was able to calm down and smile afterward. I could knit without shaky hands.
Do I think it's a good idea to smoke while your kids are awake, or while you're alone with your kids, or smoke in the house? NO. But do I think marijuana has the potential to work better for ME than Prozac does? It's possible. Prozac has the side effect of no libido (=unhappy fiancee), extreme grogginess when I wake up - even if I get 8 hours of sleep, dizziness, forgetfulness, and nausea. One puff of marijuana had the side effect of... making me smile. And when I woke up in the morning, I didn't feel groggy, or fuzzy-headed, or sick. Does it help DURING the day like Prozac does? No. But I'm okay with that. I'm still not sure whether I'm gonna get the Prozac refilled, or just get through as much as I can without it. Now that I know there's a last-ditch alternative for after Caitie's in bed, I'm gonna give it another week.

Flame away! But before flaming, keep in mind - once again, didn't say I was smoking A LOT... one puff in the last week and a half.
March 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
Really? I had a friend get busted the other day, all she had happen was her pipe and weed taken away and told not to smoke in public. Not sure where she was, but they did not write her a ticket for possession or consumption. I believe she lives in Lakewood, and I think she was hanging out in that general area when she got caught.

I've had quite a few friends busted and most say the same thing, got their stuff taken away and thats it. I think I've had one friend pay a fine, but no jail time, nothing.
That usually happens in lots of places. I had neighbors downstairs smoking pot all the time. I wouldn't have cared except they had their windows open and my whole condo smelled like weed and I was pregnant. The cops wouldn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
I am out of Prozac, and I have been debating for a week and a half about whether I'm going to refill it. A couple of nights ago, after Caitie went to bed, I sat on the couch and cried because I was feeling sad and completely overwhelmed by the day's events. Mind you, nothing major happened that day - was just a regular day. DF convinced me to join him outside and take a puff of a joint (and it didn't take much convincing - I probably would've downed some bleach if I knew it had the ability to make me happy), and it wasn't half bad. I was able to calm down and smile afterward. I could knit without shaky hands.
Do I think it's a good idea to smoke while your kids are awake, or while you're alone with your kids, or smoke in the house? NO. But do I think marijuana has the potential to work better for ME than Prozac does? It's possible. Prozac has the side effect of no libido (=unhappy fiancee), extreme grogginess when I wake up - even if I get 8 hours of sleep, dizziness, forgetfulness, and nausea. One puff of marijuana had the side effect of... making me smile. And when I woke up in the morning, I didn't feel groggy, or fuzzy-headed, or sick. Does it help DURING the day like Prozac does? No. But I'm okay with that. I'm still not sure whether I'm gonna get the Prozac refilled, or just get through as much as I can without it. Now that I know there's a last-ditch alternative for after Caitie's in bed, I'm gonna give it another week.

Flame away! But before flaming, keep in mind - once again, didn't say I was smoking A LOT... one puff in the last week and a half.
Pot isn't going to work for you. Not in the long term. You need to get on the correct meds. Prozac doesn't work for plenty of people. There are other options. And just stopping antidepressants is NOT OK!!!! It can really do a number on you. You need to get to a psychiatrist and speak to them about this.

March 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
I used to have zero tolerance for weed smoking too but I can't judge some of these posters the same as my abusive dad smoking weed. I think it's like drinking alcohol where some people can be more responsible with it than others. Unfortunately it's the irresponsible ones we base our feelings on.
I don't have zero tolerance for it. I have zero tolerance doing it in order to watch your kids. I think it is a lot like drinking alcohol too, which is why it doesn't make sense to me for women to say it's ok to do in order to calm down to watch their kids, but when I posted about drinking some beer no one responded.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 5th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the main reason I am against it is because of the fact that it is illegal here. If you're caught with it, you get a hefty fine and maybe jail time. I don't have the $$ to pay for the fine, and there's no way I'd ever put myself in a situation where I'd have to go to jail and leave Chloe, even though it'd probably be a really short time.

March 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
the difference I see, Jackie, is the same as the difference of one or two hits vs. completely stoned. I would NOT be okay with a parent drinking to get drunk in the care of their children, but it's not uncommon for people to have a glass of wine at the end of the day to unwind.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
the difference I see, Jackie, is the same as the difference of one or two hits vs. completely stoned. I would NOT be okay with a parent drinking to get drunk in the care of their children, but it's not uncommon for people to have a glass of wine at the end of the day to unwind.
I agree with you.

However, maybe it's just the stigma of marijuana that is getting to me. I would not want someone watching my daughter after taking a couple hits of mj.

I know that my dad and stepmom have a glass of wine at dinner while they are watching Chloe. I know they'd never get drunk, but coming from a very Italian family, wine is very common at dinner time.

I can understand how the two are similar, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with it.

March 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with ^ I guess however. These women are doing it in the middle of the day to calm themselves down to take care of their kids. If it were beer, how would you feel? That's what I'm getting at know what I mean?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's ok to smoke MJ to take care of your kids. There are plenty of other ways to calm down. I don't agree with drinking alcohol either to take care of your kids.
March 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to add that I am NOT trying to bash people on perscription meds, just those who mix them improperly or abuse them. My MIL is on so many mood altering meds that she is... or has the apearance of being very unreliable and she will often even mix them with painkillers. It's not unusual for her to take a xanax, followed by her anti depressent, followed by an oxycodon, followed by 12 tylenol followed by a valium followed by an ambien. She is VERY forgetful, flaky, irritable, agitated, and falls asleep without much notice. AND she expects to watch dd whenever she visits even though dd is in school and doesn't need watching imo. I guess I was trying to make the point that too much of anything is not good if you are watching kids. Taking your perscription prozac or xanax, or indulging in one beer, or having one or two puffs off a joint isn't gonne alter your judgement enough to put anyone at danger (unless you have an adverse reaction).

Honestly there are times that I get so anxious or worked up when dealing with dd that I wish I could just take a chill pill. I don't. I take a break. But I wouldn't judge someone who literally took a chill pill.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

March 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Serendipity3
If you need to get high to care for your kids then maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant? Just a thought.

After a long day of taking care of kids I am frazzled, and may have a glass or two of wine. It doesn't impair me whatsoever. But then again, alcohol is legal.

I was on pretty stong painkillers after having my appendix removed. The world can't stop just because momma is in pain and needs her happy pills. But having to take medication that makes you loopy and taking care of kids is completely different than choosing to get stoned and care for them.
March 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_25 View Post

After a long day of taking care of kids I am frazzled, and may have a glass or two of wine. It doesn't impair me whatsoever. But then again, alcohol is legal.

But having to take medication that makes you loopy and taking care of kids is completely different than choosing to get stoned and care for them.
Yes indeed. Using drugs and alcohol to cope with parenting is a crutch, or possibly just an excuse to indulge. Its one thing to unwind with a glass of wine, its another to use it to deal with the daily reality of parenting.

March 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_25 View Post
If you need to get high to care for your kids then maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant? Just a thought.
I don't completely disagree, but it is a bit of a blanket statement. Its unusual to be truly prepared for the reality of parenting, let alone how one will cope with that reality. Its like that girl on the season premier of Teen Moms, telling her friends how the first 12 months are the hardest; I nearly fell off the couch laughing because the reality is the first year is as easy as it gets! That aside, I think often times its the peripheral issues that can make parenting so difficult to cope with: a child with a disability, unforeseen financial problems, marital problems... that can push an otherwise capable parent into operating on auto-pilot. I'm not excusing getting high to cope, all I'm saying is that suggesting someone shouldn't have had children in the first place is not helpful, particularly since the kids are already here.
March 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
According to the women on Tyra, they were doing it (except for the cancer patient and her child who had problems from a car accident) they were doing it just to mellow out.

WHY are drugs the thing they turn to? What if I said I popped a zanax (without being diagnosed with anything) just to mellow out?

People are under the assumption that because they smoke weed to calm down they must have an anxiety disorder. If that is the case, we ALL must have some type of anxiety disorder because we ALL need to mellow out with our kids once in a while. Drugs should NOT be the go-to to do this. Prescription medication should not be the go to to deal with this... this meaning - the daily troubles of being a parent.

If you have a legitimate reason for smoking pot (medical) or you have a legitimate reason for taking prescription medication for anxiety and/or the side effects just so happen to make you a less-stressful mother does NOT mean it is ok to do drugs FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of lessening the stress of being a parent.

Parenting is stressful. Period. Deal with it.

This

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with ^ I guess however. These women are doing it in the middle of the day to calm themselves down to take care of their kids. If it were beer, how would you feel? That's what I'm getting at know what I mean?
And this. If you need a substance to be able to parent from day to day, it really needs to be a medication that can be observed by a psychiatrist or psychologist rather than weed. Marijuana IS a depressant, and in the long run, will make your problems worse.

Lisa

March 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Having to take prescription medication is a lot different than being lazy and not being able to handle being a mom and having to get high to do it.
Rubbish.

Is a woman who struggles with intense anxiety and pops a xanax to help "lazy"? Just too lazy to combat the chemical hand she was dealt? What if marijuana, with it's wealth of medically supported medical benefits, is just better at managing the anxiety and depression, with less side effects? Suffer side effects because William Randolph Hearst published a rash of racially motivated fear campaigns and pulled the wool over Congress' eyes?

No no, pot smoking is lazy because William Randolph Hearst was a racist fear monger terrified of losing the money he had invested in the timber industry in favor of hemp. K.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
March 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Rubbish.

Is a woman who struggles with intense anxiety and pops a xanax to help "lazy"? Just too lazy to combat the chemical hand she was dealt? What if marijuana, with it's wealth of medically supported medical benefits, is just better at managing the anxiety and depression, with less side effects? Suffer side effects because William Randolph Hearst published a rash of racially motivated fear campaigns and pulled the wool over Congress' eyes?

No no, pot smoking is lazy because William Randolph Hearst was a racist fear monger terrified of losing the money he had invested in the timber industry in favor of hemp. K.
Thank you. I don't consider myself lazy. According to DF, it's a lot more work to buy pot than it is to refill my Prozac. I don't agree with the choice the ladies in the show made (smoking while LOs are awake), but if they're only smoking enough to calm down WITHOUT getting completely blitzed, I can't say much.
March 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Rubbish.

You must not have read my last post. I'm not going to repeat myself. I'll just copy and paste for you.

Quote:
According to the women on Tyra, they were doing it (except for the cancer patient and her child who had problems from a car accident) they were doing it just to mellow out.

WHY are drugs the thing they turn to? What if I said I popped a zanax (without being diagnosed with anything) just to mellow out?

People are under the assumption that because they smoke weed to calm down they must have an anxiety disorder. If that is the case, we ALL must have some type of anxiety disorder because we ALL need to mellow out with our kids once in a while. Drugs should NOT be the go-to to do this. Prescription medication should not be the go to to deal with this... this meaning - the daily troubles of being a parent.

If you have a legitimate reason for smoking pot (medical) or you have a legitimate reason for taking prescription medication for anxiety and/or the side effects just so happen to make you a less-stressful mother does NOT mean it is ok to do drugs FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of lessening the stress of being a parent.

Parenting is stressful. Period. Deal with it.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Abundance View Post
Its like that girl on the season premier of Teen Moms, telling her friends how the first 12 months are the hardest; I nearly fell off the couch laughing because the reality is the first year is as easy as it gets!
I only have 2.5 years under my belt so far, but the first 12 months were a thousand times harder than the last year and a half, and we're smack in the middle of terrible twos right now. I literally did not get more than three hours of consecutive sleep for 14 months and those three-hour stretches were rare! He was also colicky. I remember thinking, "This is what it must be like at Gitmo." Dramatic, I know. I definitely know why people say the first year is the hardest, though.

March 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Apparently in Florida Marijuana means mandatory jail time (I learned this today). However, where ever these women live, it can't be that harsh of a penalty if they are going to admit their crime on National Television. Unless they are just plain stupid. Just wondering out loud about the "legal" aspect of their particular situation.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search