Marijuana makes me a better mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I only have 2.5 years under my belt so far, but the first 12 months were a thousand times harder than the last year and a half, and we're smack in the middle of terrible twos right now. I literally did not get more than three hours of consecutive sleep for 14 months and those three-hour stretches were rare! He was also colicky. I remember thinking, "This is what it must be like at Gitmo." Dramatic, I know. I definitely know why people say the first year is the hardest, though.
Same here. I am still shellshocked from DS's first year of life. I have baby fever and a sure fire way to end that is to think of how little sleep I got for the first 15 months. Whew!! I love the 2's!!!

March 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I can't imagine getting little sleep like that.... I am blessed with good sleepers... as long as boob is in the house

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Tofu Bacon
LOL, maybe its just me, then I find the first year to be incredibly easy. Two isn't so bad either. Three was sheer hell. Four was slightly less hellish. I hear five is nice, so we'll see.
March 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
The first year was by FAR the hardest year. I would rather deal with teasing peers and the terrible 2's or 3's than 2 hour stretches of sleep and a crying baby lol Babies have always been hard for me, it's when they get older and can talk that it seems to be more my stride.
March 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Abundance View Post
LOL, maybe its just me, then I find the first year to be incredibly easy. Two isn't so bad either. Three was sheer hell. Four was slightly less hellish. I hear five is nice, so we'll see.
3 has been for me...2 was somewhat but my fav age is from 1-2... looooove it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
The first year was by FAR the hardest year. I would rather deal with teasing peers and the terrible 2's or 3's than 2 hour stretches of sleep and a crying baby lol Babies have always been hard for me, it's when they get older and can talk that it seems to be more my stride.
Right now we're dealing with "Why why why why why?" and that's ok, however she'll ask the same question in a different context 3-4 times in a row

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
3 has been for me...2 was somewhat but my fav age is from 1-2... looooove it!
Same here. I look at dd and I'm like "Ugh, do you have to turn three??" Maybe its because mine were both so easy as babies.

Quote:
Right now we're dealing with "Why why why why why?" and that's ok, however she'll ask the same question in a different context 3-4 times in a row
Its like they keep asking until they get the answer they want After the "why" stage comes the contradict-every-******-thing-mommy-says stage. Good times.

It really gets fun when they start with the emotional blackmail: telling you how mean you are and they don't like you because they can't have cookies for breakfast. Ds informed me that he wants a bunny for a mommy.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; March 6th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
March 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
^ LOL! Right now I'm dealing with him saying, "Mommy, I'm so sorry," immediately after he does something he's not supposed to. Or when I'm explaining why he's in trouble, he'll stroke my face and say, "Okay, Mommy?" ARGH!!! HAHA! He knows exactly how cute he is.

March 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Tofu Bacon
Oh, its great. That sweet, malleable two-year-old suddenly morphs into a three-year-old with a mind of his own. That same child you lovingly trained to put his garbage in the pail becomes the child who tosses his wrappers on the floor, or hides apple cores in between couch cushions (true story).
March 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Same here. I look at dd and I'm like "Ugh, do you have to turn three??" Maybe its because mine were both so easy as babies.

Its like they keep asking until they get the answer they want After the "why" stage comes the contradict-every-******-thing-mommy-says stage. Good times.

It really gets fun when they start with the emotional blackmail: telling you how mean you are and they don't like you because they can't have cookies for breakfast. Ds informed me that he wants a bunny for a mommy.
Oh it's already started. I'll take something from her and share it from Nola and she'll get this horrid expression on her face: "You snatched that out of my hand!" "That was mean" "Mommy are you mad at me?"... that last one kills me. I'm trying hard to explain to her the difference between being stressed/frustrated and mad. She thinks when I'm stressed out that I'm mad and she thinks it's directed at her. And when I discipline her she thinks I'm mad at her or being mean Oy vey...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
aussiemummy
I agree, the baby year is the hardest. After that it gets easier.
March 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
I agree, the baby year is the hardest. After that it gets easier.

I dunno, I'm still looking for the gypsies to take the teens off my hands

March 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I totally agree!!!
March 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
You must not have read my last post. I'm not going to repeat myself. I'll just copy and paste for you.
No, I read it. I was just unimpressed with the argument that we should be the arbiters of how much stress a woman should have to deal with unmedicated before we tolerate medication of any sort. If you're stressed, responsibly use the tools that are available to reduce stress. Life is too short to spend your time miserable so others won't think you are lazy.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
March 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Life is too short to spend your time miserable so others won't think you are lazy.
That's my new argument for FF

March 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadwed View Post
That's my new argument for FF
Well, the way I see it, every mother should be trusted to make an appropriate risk/benefit analysis of any action they take. We may have our own moral expectations of other mothers, but those spring from our own evaluations of personal appropriate priorities and come down to what we think we know. But too often what we think we know amounts to jack and ****, and jack just left town (thank you, Bruce Campbell.). Especially when it comes to other women's lives. For most of these issues I'm comfortable with expanding judgmental minds.

March 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
we should be the arbiters of how much stress a woman should have to deal with unmedicated before we tolerate medication of any sort
That's what a Dr. is for.

Quote:
If you're stressed, responsibly use the tools that are available to reduce stress.
I find doing drugs an unreasonable tool. What if someone said they drank some beer while watching their kids during the day to reduce stress?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
That's what a Dr. is for.
I feel I'm a pretty good assessor of my own stress level as well. I am after all, not a drooling idiot. When it comes to issues like this, it's all of the sudden "only a doctor can blah blah blah" from the "trust your gut and screw science" crowd.

Quote:
I find doing drugs an unreasonable tool. What if someone said they drank some beer while watching their kids during the day to reduce stress?
It wouldn't upset me at all, as long as they weren't drinking to the point of incapacitation and still level headed, capable of making sound decisions. My father had one or two beers while watching me all the time, and I don't blame him. I was a screamer and a bosser. I was not aware until now that he was so derelict in his parenting duties, seeing as I am still alive and a productive member of society and all.

March 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I feel I'm a pretty good assessor of my own stress level as well. I am after all, not a drooling idiot. When it comes to issues like this, it's all of the sudden "only a doctor can blah blah blah" from the "trust your gut and screw science" crowd.

Quote:
It wouldn't upset me at all
aaaaaaaaand we'll just have to stop there and agree to disagree.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 04:48 PM
irishxrose
Quote:

aaaaaaaaand we'll just have to stop there and agree to disagree.
Why would it upset you if someone had one beer or one glass of wine while watching their children?

And I have a feeling you would be surprised at how many women on this very site most likely unwind after a long day with a bottle of beer or a glass of wine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a responsible adult indulging in an alcoholic beverage every now and then. Even I'll bite, I have one glass of wine or a beer after I work sometimes and I am still able to care for Joshua the same as I do without that one glass or beer. Am I then a bad parent in your eyes, Jackie, simply because I have had a glass of wine while he's awake?
March 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I don't see the issue of a parent having a non-intoxicating amount of alcohol while watching their kids.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search