Marijuana makes me a better mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadwed View Post
I guess I don't see the issue of a parent having a non-intoxicating amount of alcohol while watching their kids.
I don't either. I can understand the problems surrounding a parent that is completely trashed while caring for their kids, but I know one beer doesn't even make me remotely tipsy or buzzed, let alone intoxicated and my son isn't in harm's way. I do realize that some people can't even tolerate a little amount of alcohol, but I'm really not understanding why it's so bad for just one for those who do know their limits.
March 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Here's where I'm coming from, and correct me if I'm wrong. I am under the impression that marijuana affects people differently than alcohol (stronger). Meaning a few hits off a joint would be like drinking a few beers... yes? (<--honestly).

On top of that, the reasoning behind why these women are doing this...there are numerous other ways to de-stress from the "normal" stress that parenting causes.. during the day while you're still watching your children, I don't find it acceptable for the first thing to turn to is a drug or alcohol (during the day while still watching your kids). It does not add up to me. Unwind at bedtime - I can understand that, have zero problems with that. But doing this in the middle of the day in order to (their words) better take care of their kids does not sit well with me. Use other techniques to de-stress during the day and save the MJ and alcohol for when the kiddos are on their way/in bed.

Not being snarky at all in this. It just doesn't sit well with me, make no sense nor do I find it acceptable.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
and just to reiterate: even if it is equal to one beer, I still do not agree with it (but I still wouldn't mind some info, I'm looking but not really finding anything...)

As I said ^ there are many other ways to de-stress, so save the drugs or alcohol for around bedtime

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
Here's where I'm coming from, and correct me if I'm wrong. I am under the impression that marijuana affects people differently than alcohol (stronger). Meaning a few hits off a joint would be like drinking a few beers... yes? (<--honestly).

On top of that, the reasoning behind why these women are doing this...there are numerous other ways to de-stress from the "normal" stress that parenting causes.. during the day while you're still watching your children, I don't find it acceptable for the first thing to turn to is a drug or alcohol (during the day while still watching your kids). It does not add up to me. Unwind at bedtime - I can understand that, have zero problems with that. But doing this in the middle of the day in order to (their words) better take care of their kids does not sit well with me. Use other techniques to de-stress during the day and save the MJ and alcohol for when the kiddos are on their way/in bed.

Not being snarky at all in this. It just doesn't sit well with me, make no sense nor do I find it acceptable.
But what are your reasons for requiring that women use those "other ways" first? Why do you care, if the kids are getting taken care of adequately?

Marijuana does affect people differently. Mostly people on any amount of marijuana are better able to function than people on large amounts of alcohol. The fact that weed's illegal and alcohol legal is a joke.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
March 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
But what are your reasons for requiring that women use those "other ways" first? Why do you care, if the kids are getting taken care of adequately?
Because resorting to drugs during the day while you're watching your kids is irresponsible IMO.

Quote:
The fact that weed's illegal and alcohol legal is a joke.
I never said anything about that...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Not really. It just depends on the person. I've never gotten high, and not for lack of trying. But I feel buzzed after a glass of wine.

March 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Because resorting to drugs during the day while you're watching your kids is irresponsible IMO....
But why? If the kids are cared for well, what specifically is the damage being done?

March 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I do not think it is emotionally healthy to resort to drugs or alcohol as the first thing to de-stress. Do you think it is?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
I do not think it is emotionally healthy to resort to drugs or alcohol as the first thing to de-stress. Do you think it is?
I think it's more emotionally healthy to use certain tools than it is to just be stressed. Whatever those tools are, and how they work for you. As long as your kids aren't neglected, who cares?

March 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
I don't either. I can understand the problems surrounding a parent that is completely trashed while caring for their kids, but I know one beer doesn't even make me remotely tipsy or buzzed, let alone intoxicated and my son isn't in harm's way. I do realize that some people can't even tolerate a little amount of alcohol, but I'm really not understanding why it's so bad for just one for those who do know their limits.
ITA. I also don't want to be lumped in with the people that can't handle having one beer or can't drink responsibly. I am perfectly capable of having a drink and being a responsible person. The thought that an occasional drink around your child is the worst thing ever is so dramatic.

Last edited by *Jillian*; March 6th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
March 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Not necessarily. You develop a tolerance to marijuana just as you do with alcohol, so someone who smokes it on a fairly regular basis may not get much of a buzz off of a few hits. Just as someone who has a higher tolerance for alcohol won't be drunk off one beer.
March 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Perhaps my response is a bit different because my youngest is 11, but I see it like this:

Firstly, I don't do drugs (meaning mj/hash/whatever) so I can't respond to how that affects people. I (personally) don't like the stench of the stuff and wouldn't go near it anyway.

If I am going to have anything with alcohol in it, which is very rare, it is most likely to be after the kids are in bed.

I would never touch it outside of that for safety reasons. What if I needed to drive a child somewhere, or pop over to the store for something? If I 'relax' with a glass of wine, I don't want it to be when it's possible that I may need to leave the house for something.

As an FYI, here in Ontario, you can lose your license for up to 30 days if your BAC is between .05 & .08, just 1 drink (depending on your size) can easily put you in that .05 range and can impair not only your driving skills, but your reaction time for many things.

I know nothing about the medicinal reasons for using mj so my response has nothing to do with those people at all but I will say that I don't think very politely of parents who do drugs such as that regardless of the child(ren) being awake or not. As far as I'm concerned, the teen years of testing things out have passed and you have responsibilities, it's time to stop the drugs and grow up.

Yes, I'm judgmental of parents who do drugs so they can 'mellow' out.

If your life is so stressful that you need to smoke a joint, then maybe you need to seek professional help.

March 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
The thought that an occasional drink around your child is the worst thing ever is so dramatic.
I never said that

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
the difference I see, Jackie, is the same as the difference of one or two hits vs. completely stoned. I would NOT be okay with a parent drinking to get drunk in the care of their children, but it's not uncommon for people to have a glass of wine at the end of the day to unwind.
Depending on the person and the "grade" of marijuana as the lady called it in the show, 1 or 2 hits can you TOASTED. I personally don't think anyone should parent under the influence of marijuana or alcohol. If you are having that much difficulty coping during the day, it is important to see a doctor and get on a regimen to help you, whether that be medication, therapy OR both. I, myself take a prescription anti-depressant and anti-anxiety. I take Buspar for my anxiety and it's nothing like xanax or klonopin, which is why my psychiatrist put me on. It is also not habit forming like xanax and klonopin. I have frequent anxiety attacks, and he did not offer me a RX for xanax, so I'm not sure what doctors people go to that hand out xanax, but I would definitely find a different physician. I don't think there is anything wrong with smoking a little MJ here and there, but I wouldn't do it on the same PROPERTY, let alone while they are awake. Same goes with alcohol. I might have one mixed drink or a glass of wine at home after my son is in bed, but that is it and alcohol is legal. IMO, one hit of MJ is like drinking a few (3-4) drinks. I, personally think marijuana should become legalized, but until it is MJ won't even be in the same vicinity as my son.

As for the topic at hand, I think it's ridiculous for a parent to be high or under the influence of marijuana while caring for their children. If it is for medical reasons, I guess there would have to be exceptions, just as being on pain killers after surgery or an accident is an exception, but as a rule, no.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

Last edited by Mommy2Maddox; March 6th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
March 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Abundance View Post
Not necessarily. You develop a tolerance to marijuana just as you do with alcohol, so someone who smokes it on a fairly regular basis may not get much of a buzz off of a few hits. Just as someone who has a higher tolerance for alcohol won't be drunk off one beer.
I have a friend who smokes very regularly, and she still gets a buzz off one good hit. Maybe if we're talking about a 250lb male, but these are moms we're talking about. Besides, if they are smoking enough to develop any kind of tolerance than they are smoking more than to "mellow" out.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

March 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Maddox View Post
I have a friend who smokes very regularly, and she still gets a buzz off one good hit. Maybe if we're talking about a 250lb male, but these are moms we're talking about. Besides, if they are smoking enough to develop any kind of tolerance than they are smoking more than to "mellow" out.
This is where it gets sketchy. I'm sure it depends on size, the type of weed they smoke and exactly how often and how much each time - too many variables. They may only smoke 1-2 hits or they may be lying and smoke more, I don't know. I don't think anyone can know honestly.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
No. No one can know. It's a highly individualized thing. I would expect each individual to know their individual tolerance level.

March 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I think it's more emotionally healthy to use certain tools than it is to just be stressed. Whatever those tools are, and how they work for you. As long as your kids aren't neglected, who cares?
I agree with this. Ideally, a person wouldn't need a substance to make them relax. I think this is important because if your only coping mechanism is a substance, then you're going to have real problems down the line (IMO). It might start with a drink or a puff of MJ after work, but if you can't cope with stress in daily life? Etc. However, if alcohol (or MJ or whatever) is one of many coping tools you have, it's not used often, and it's not affecting your children, who cares? I have a glass of wine once in awhile, or DH and I will splurge and split a 6 pack of beer (and usually neither of us go further than 2 beers each lol). If your go-to stress reliever is a mind-altering substance, I think that's bad. If ONE of your go-to stress relievers is a mind-altering substance, I think that's OK. Life is full of stress, and if your only solution to that is a drink or a puff, that's a problem. I'd honestly rather have a bath with no interruptions and a good book than a drink, but some days require a drink lol
March 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
but some days require a drink lol
Today was one of those days for me. DH worked 15 hours and I sat at home with a fussy/screaming baby. Thank you, Leinenkugel!

March 7th, 2010, 12:19 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I agree with this. Ideally, a person wouldn't need a substance to make them relax. I think this is important because if your only coping mechanism is a substance, then you're going to have real problems down the line (IMO). It might start with a drink or a puff of MJ after work, but if you can't cope with stress in daily life? Etc. However, if alcohol (or MJ or whatever) is one of many coping tools you have, it's not used often, and it's not affecting your children, who cares? I have a glass of wine once in awhile, or DH and I will splurge and split a 6 pack of beer (and usually neither of us go further than 2 beers each lol). If your go-to stress reliever is a mind-altering substance, I think that's bad. If ONE of your go-to stress relievers is a mind-altering substance, I think that's OK. Life is full of stress, and if your only solution to that is a drink or a puff, that's a problem. I'd honestly rather have a bath with no interruptions and a good book than a drink, but some days require a drink lol
I agree with all of this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search