Marijuana makes me a better mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Maddox View Post
I have a friend who smokes very regularly, and she still gets a buzz off one good hit. Maybe if we're talking about a 250lb male, but these are moms we're talking about. Besides, if they are smoking enough to develop any kind of tolerance than they are smoking more than to "mellow" out.
And? I smoked my fair share in my youth and after a while, one or two hits had little effect on me. I didn't smoke a lot at once, but it was on a fairly regular basis. However, if I were to start up again now, I fully would it expect to get me buzzed quicker than it did when I stopped 10 years ago, because I no longer have a tolerance.
March 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I agree with this. Ideally, a person wouldn't need a substance to make them relax. I think this is important because if your only coping mechanism is a substance, then you're going to have real problems down the line (IMO). It might start with a drink or a puff of MJ after work, but if you can't cope with stress in daily life? Etc. However, if alcohol (or MJ or whatever) is one of many coping tools you have, it's not used often, and it's not affecting your children, who cares? I have a glass of wine once in awhile, or DH and I will splurge and split a 6 pack of beer (and usually neither of us go further than 2 beers each lol). If your go-to stress reliever is a mind-altering substance, I think that's bad. If ONE of your go-to stress relievers is a mind-altering substance, I think that's OK. Life is full of stress, and if your only solution to that is a drink or a puff, that's a problem. I'd honestly rather have a bath with no interruptions and a good book than a drink, but some days require a drink lol
I agree with this as well.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazE View Post

If your life is so stressful that you need to smoke a joint, then maybe you need to seek professional help.
I gotta say, that using MJ to mellow out is going to be far more healthy than the substances that "professional help" can pump into your body. While I understand some people need stuff like Xanax, but xanax is highly addictive and can do crazy things to you mentally. I would rather have a parent that occasionally tokes than one addicted to xanax. Doctors are so quick to hand out drugs for every symptom and cause far more damage than what mj can do. My Mom has issues sleeping along with pain, which is why she smokes. Her smoking MJ to sleep is SO MUCH better than the crazy sleeping pills that cause people to drive in a drugged haze, do off the wall things and have no recollection of doing it when they come to.

So I gotta say that MJ is so much better than what "professional help" can pump into your body, unless your doctor is an mj friendly doctor and knows the benefits of mj as opposed to demonizing it like many doctors do.
March 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one has pointed out that MJ does have side effects. It has side effects on our lungs, unless you are using a vaporizer which I doubt a lot of people do.

Just thought I'd point that out.

I personally have no problem w/ it after kids are in bed and as long as it's not overdone, or illegal where you live.

I also think it's a joke that alcohol and cigarettes are legal and MJ illegal.

And I also agree with PP- just because kids are in bed, doesn't mean they'll stay there. Anything can happen, and I wouldn't want to be unsure of how to handle a situation due to being too stoned/drunk.

And for the record, everyone "needs" something to calm down or de-stress. Whether that be positive self-talk, cleaning, distraction, etc. How they go about handling that, in my opinion, is their prerogative. However, I do think things like smoking and drinking should be left for when kiddos are in bed.

March 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Well I found out recently that medicinal MJ now comes in pill form, so there are no harmful smoke side effects.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
aussiemummy
I had no idea medical mj came in pill form. Very interesting.
March 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Marinol - the Legal Medical Use for the Marijuana Plant
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
aussiemummy
Thanks for sharing that link. It seems like a great alternative to smoking it.
March 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
I gotta say, that using MJ to mellow out is going to be far more healthy than the substances that "professional help" can pump into your body. While I understand some people need stuff like Xanax, but xanax is highly addictive and can do crazy things to you mentally. I would rather have a parent that occasionally tokes than one addicted to xanax. Doctors are so quick to hand out drugs for every symptom and cause far more damage than what mj can do. My Mom has issues sleeping along with pain, which is why she smokes. Her smoking MJ to sleep is SO MUCH better than the crazy sleeping pills that cause people to drive in a drugged haze, do off the wall things and have no recollection of doing it when they come to.

So I gotta say that MJ is so much better than what "professional help" can pump into your body, unless your doctor is an mj friendly doctor and knows the benefits of mj as opposed to demonizing it like many doctors do.
Actually, I didn't mean that kind of professional help either. While I have heard/read that many people need prescription meds, I thankfully have never had a need for them so I don't include pills automatically in my line of thought.

Also to the bolded, I clearly stated I was not talking about anyone who may use it for medical reasons.

Let me try this as an example.

There are 2 sets of parents that live in townhouses near by that clearly smoke up. It stinks to high heaven, and I have seen them with my own eyes out doing it, mean while they are not paying attention to the kids who you can hear running around yelling in the house, and at times they are running around outside in front while the parents suck back one in the back yard and the mother is whining to her neighbour (another mother who smokes up) about how the kids drive them nuts blah blah blah

If their lives are so stressful that they need to be out doing that, they need to seek professional help which ISN'T getting prescription meds.

Not sure how I can be any clearer than that.

March 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
Actually, I didn't mean that kind of professional help either. While I have heard/read that many people need prescription meds, I thankfully have never had a need for them so I don't include pills automatically in my line of thought.

Also to the bolded, I clearly stated I was not talking about anyone who may use it for medical reasons.

Let me try this as an example.

There are 2 sets of parents that live in townhouses near by that clearly smoke up. It stinks to high heaven, and I have seen them with my own eyes out doing it, mean while they are not paying attention to the kids who you can hear running around yelling in the house, and at times they are running around outside in front while the parents suck back one in the back yard and the mother is whining to her neighbour (another mother who smokes up) about how the kids drive them nuts blah blah blah

If their lives are so stressful that they need to be out doing that, they need to seek professional help which ISN'T getting prescription meds.

Not sure how I can be any clearer than that.
Oh okay, I totally took it another way. By your example, yeah, they would need some serious help if they were acting that way. I took it by what I said, someone like my Mother who could be on much worse meds to handle life, and instead smokes. I totally agree with you by your example, and if I saw a situation like that I'd have a really hard time to convince myself to mind my own business and not call CPS.

Sorry I took your comment a different way
March 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
Thanks for sharing that link. It seems like a great alternative to smoking it.
Cooking with it is also an alternative. (I haven't done that but I know it's an alternative that people use.)
March 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
Cooking with it is also an alternative. (I haven't done that but I know it's an alternative that people use.)
I hear the cookies are good. Not that I would know or anything....

March 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
This is a super old story but I sure never forgot it!
Brownie Mary bakes no more | Cannabis Culture Magazine
March 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just saying.. if you think it has no side effects, just let me offer this as some possible evidence that there is more damage from smoking MJ than has been presented often.
Images of Alcohol and Drug Abuse | Amen Clinics

18 y/o – 3 year history of 4 x week use
underside surface view
decreased pfc and temporal lobe activity

Activity scan of regions that are lighting up

Not using MJ
underside active view, off THC
increased deep left temporal lobe activity

Using specifically Marijuana

A normal Brain

March 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Just saying.. if you think it has no side effects, just let me offer this as some possible evidence that there is more damage from smoking MJ than has been presented often.
I'm not advocating for MJ use. I also think your pics and links are important for people to consider. I do wish though those same in depth studies were done with prescribed drugs because at the end of the day, they do hurt the human body to some degree as well. If a person with an issue that required medication had both lists of side effects to look before using MJ or prescription drugs, then at least they would have more of an informed decision.
March 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
I'm not advocating for MJ use. I also think your pics and links are important for people to consider. I do wish though those same in depth studies were done with prescribed drugs because at the end of the day, they do hurt the human body to some degree as well. If a person with an issue that required medication had both lists of side effects to look before using MJ or prescription drugs, then at least they would have more of an informed decision.
Those are def out there too-- all I'm really trying to present here is that there is a reality about marijuana that we sometimes shove down. It DOES have positive medicinal properties. So do medications given by psychiatrists and doctors. Both cause good but BOTH also can cause harm, especially when smoked

Just wanted the discussion of MJ itself to be much more realistic and with all the evidence as the message often is that MJ has no real side effects or problems. That's not true, just as it's not true for any other drug. Somehow it's been absolved of all responsibility while other drugs have not been

March 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Those are def out there too-- all I'm really trying to present here is that there is a reality about marijuana that we sometimes shove down. It DOES have positive medicinal properties. So do medications given by psychiatrists and doctors. Both cause good but BOTH also can cause harm, especially when smoked

Just wanted the discussion of MJ itself to be much more realistic and with all the evidence as the message often is that MJ has no real side effects or problems. That's not true, just as it's not true for any other drug. Somehow it's been absolved of all responsibility while other drugs have not been
I do agree many pro-pot proponents downplay the negative side of MJ just as allopathic doctors downplay the negative sides of prescription drugs. I wish common sense would prevail!
March 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Absolutely.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jax~ View Post
I was waiting for someone to say this.

Prescription medication to maintain mental health is completely irrelevant.

I..(marijuana here)............................................. .................................................. .....(script)..I

me liketh my graph
I just want to say that there have been studies done that show that smoking marijuana can be useful for people with certain mental health issues, particularly bipolar disorder. They need to do more long term studies, but the potential is there.

Just saying
DS: 4

TTC our first together for almost 13 months and suffering from MFI.

Cycle #9 [May 29th, 2010]: 50mg Clomid CD 5-9: NO FOLLIES. On Provera.
Cycle #10 [July 13th, 2010]: 100mg Clomid CD 3-7: NO FOLLIES. Trying to ovulate on my own via a scan on CD 18! 12mm follie.

IUI #1 on August 3rd- CD 22! BF?

February 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have a severe anxiety disorder and stopped taking medications while I was pregnant. After going through terrible withdrawl symptoms, I decided against starting the medicine again after my son was born. Life without medicine was an adjustment itself but adding my first baby into the mix was a whole new ball game. So what do you do after 3 months of dealing with panic attacks because you have a baby screaming in your face at 4 in the morning? Go puff on a joint off the back porch, snuggle up to your favorite person in front of spongebob and laugh your *** off for an hour. I personally believe smoking pot occasionally has made me a better parent and a much better person without the serious side effects of my old medication.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search