Rape and Kristen Stewart: 選 Made an Enormous Mistake"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
No sooner did excerpts from July's British Elle make their way to the Internet on Wednesday than the blogosphere exploded in outrage.
In an offending quote, "Twilight" saga star Kristen Stewart compared paparazzi photos of herself to images of a woman being raped. Almost immediately, everyone from fans to spokespeople for rape victims' advocacy organizations were publicly criticizing the actress.
"I really made an enormous mistake -- clearly and obviously," Stewart, currently in Korea to promote the new installment of the "Twilight" series "Eclipse," tells PEOPLE exclusively. "And I'm really sorry about my choice of words."
Stewart, 20, is not known as one to mince words. "I've made stupid remarks before, and I've always reasoned: 'Whatever. They can think what they want,' " she says.
But in this instance, the Los Angeles-born actress feels compelled to address the situation. " 'Violated' definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought," she notes.
In fact, the issue of violence against women is one that has been close to Stewart since playing a victim of rape in the 2004 film "Speak." She has done public service announcements for the advocacy group RAINN and for SOC.
The irony of the situation in which Stewart now finds herself is not lost on the actress. "People thinking that I'm insensitive about this subject rips my guts out. I made a big mistake."
Kristen Stewart: 'I made an enormous mistake' - CNN.com
Thoughts?
June 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think "rape" is one of those nasty slang words that gets tossed around without the real meaning being thought twice about. She had a chance to think twice and learned from it. She's still a 20 year old kid who has a lot to learn about the world. Plus, she is not the best interviewee in the world, it is obvious that it makes her nervous.

Stupid thing to say? Yes? Should she be an outcast for it? Nah.

June 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I really cannot stand her. I kinda hate that she was cast as Melinda in Speak, as well, but that's beside the point. If she wants to be a professional actor, she needs to act professionally, and I have yet to see that from her. Yes, having paps around constantly sucks, but it's part of the job. So is acting professionally during interviews. Sandy's right, she obviously struggles while being interviewed. Hire a freaking interview coach. And stop rolling your eyes all the time.

/rant.

June 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't debate this one fairly at all to be honest, but I'll be reading

June 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Here is the actual quote

Quote:
"What you don't see are the cameras shoved in my face and the bizarre intrusive questions being asked, or the people falling over themselves, screaming and taunting to get a reaction. The photos are so... I feel like I'm looking at someone being raped. A lot of the time I can't handle it. It's f***ed. I never expected that this would be my life."
She doesn't say she IS being raped. She states she feels like the photos of her end up looking like she is so petrified, so horrified, so caught off guard and her privacy violated, that it translates on her face to THAT kind of fear and violation. Not that she IS being raped by the paps. I think that distinction is key

June 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I really cannot stand her. I kinda hate that she was cast as Melinda in Speak, as well, but that's beside the point. If she wants to be a professional actor, she needs to act professionally, and I have yet to see that from her. Yes, having paps around constantly sucks, but it's part of the job. So is acting professionally during interviews. Sandy's right, she obviously struggles while being interviewed. Hire a freaking interview coach. And stop rolling your eyes all the time.

/rant.
Completely OT, but where is Damon Salvatore? I miss looking at him.

June 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We've all put our foot in our mouths before and said things we didn't really mean....she's human too.

June 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Well, it's good to know the Offenderati are still on the job. I got worried there for a while.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I think it's well documented I have a lady boner for KStew so I'm probably not a good judge of bashing her or letting her off for saying stupid things

June 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post

/rant.
Dude, I can't believe that Steve Zahn was the art teacher. Ugh, bad movie based on one of my favorite books.

June 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they screw up once or twice. Famous people mess up, too.
June 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I'll ditto pretty much everything Jess said. That sums up how I feel about her too.

I think she comes across as very irritated by everything that has to do with being famous, so I am not surprised that she got all dramatic and whiny-tail when describing the paps. It was just a stupid on her part.

June 4th, 2010, 01:46 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I like Kristen. I don't have any issues with her but my feelings may be biased because I'm a Twilight fan. I think all people make mistakes and she apologized so I don't what the big deal is?

That being said I don't understand celebrities who complain about the paparazzi. I mean if you don't like it, MOVE out of LA and other areas where there are the most paparazzi.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
KimberlyD0
I think the word "rape" is thrown around way to easily and it takes away from what rape truly is.

I also think the girl made a mistake.. get over it..
June 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
Completely OT, but where is Damon Salvatore? I miss looking at him.
It's True Blood season! Damon's on hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjoys View Post
Dude, I can't believe that Steve Zahn was the art teacher. Ugh, bad movie based on one of my favorite books.
One of my deepest fears is that Looking for Alaska will suffer a similar fate.

June 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She said something stupid, off the cuff. Probably everyone has. She should take some media training though...

June 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
How can we preach "free speech" when speech is becoming very restricted? Groups adopt words and define how those words may be used. Can't say "retarded" and can't say "short" and can't say anything that might be construed as an insult or insensitivity to someone.

It's everyone's responsibility to try to use language without being a jerk about it, but society as a whole needs to be less butthurt about words.

June 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know that much about her, but I think the way she used the word was a bit insensitive, but that is how she feels.

Anyone else notice that she has extremely large front teeth and constantly has her mouth open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintana View Post
How can we preach "free speech" when speech is becoming very restricted? Groups adopt words and define how those words may be used. Can't say "retarded" and can't say "short" and can't say anything that might be construed as an insult or insensitivity to someone.

It's everyone's responsibility to try to use language without being a jerk about it, but society as a whole needs to be less butthurt about words.

"Retarded" is an insult. It is making fun of people that have disabilities. If you say "Haha you're retarded!" then essentially you're saying "haha, you're so stupid that you're as stupid as the people that are born with a developmental disability." If it's used outside of the medical community, it's wrong. Dead wrong. Anyone that uses that word as an insult or observation instantly makes my skin crawl and I have to use my self control to not chew them up one side and down the other.

Vent over.
June 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
I don't know that much about her, but I think the way she used the word was a bit insensitive, but that is how she feels.

Anyone else notice that she has extremely large front teeth and constantly has her mouth open?

"Retarded" is an insult. It is making fun of people that have disabilities. If you say "Haha you're retarded!" then essentially you're saying "haha, you're so stupid that you're as stupid as the people that are born with a developmental disability." If it's used outside of the medical community, it's wrong. Dead wrong. Anyone that uses that word as an insult or observation instantly makes my skin crawl and I have to use my self control to not chew them up one side and down the other.

Vent over.
Well said!
As for Kristin. I personally don't care much for her acting, actually I think she is beyond annoying and wish with every ounce of my being that she wasn't Bella. That being said, I agree with Lauren. I think the comment was taken out of context. And, even if it hadn't been, she's only human. I can't say that when I was 20 I didn't use the word rape or retarded or something of that nature in a negative manner not even knowing how offensive it was. I'd say at 20 years old we could all think back to some things we aren't so proud of today.

June 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
That being said I don't understand celebrities who complain about the paparazzi. I mean if you don't like it, MOVE out of LA and other areas where there are the most paparazzi.
To an extent, yes. Paparazzi following you and taking private pictures of you (at your house or whatever) and then saying outrageous things to get a reaction all for the sake of a photo, I can understand celebrities getting pissed over that. Sometimes paparazzi goes way too far and I'm sure that's what Kristen was referring to.
I think violated would have been a better term to use, but it's good she apologized and corrected herself. I think her personality is different than most mainstream celebrities and that's what makes her so unique.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search