Boycotting BP

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Some BP irony

June 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I had that on my fb Gina ~ LOL!
June 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiex2 View Post
I was going to post here earlier, but then I got distracted.

Team Michelle! The whole thing disgusts me, I saw a video clip yesterday of a Senator stating that the oil may now not jsut be leaking form the pipe, but coming up from the sea bed as well. This is going to change our lives, and not for the better, and all so that BP could save a few dollars. Wow.
I think it's safe to assume that someone cut a corner somewhere yeah. I think it's few and far between there's a for real accident. And in theory that's the point of regulations and someone enforcing them. But everyone cuts corners, on a daily basis, all the time. There's a huge difference between negligence ("Oh this well is broken, and if we keep going odds are this thing is going to blow...nevermind, keep going") and and accident, especially when they're being forced to drill in ridiculous places that require technology that surpasses space travel for it. Boycott? No. I'm sick of listening to the blame game. It's not Obama's fault (although he's done absolutely jack ****), it's not BP's fault, just plug the m-f-er up (and in all honesty, this compares NOWHERE to all the other oil spills that happen all the ***** time that no one cares to think about because they're not in the U.S.)
June 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
Don't feel sorry for them. They'll get rehired at Shell, Chevron, or start their own company. They'll be fine because the industry won't ever stop and we need those people working.

The only think I feel bad about is the environment. The shoreline in Alaska from the Exxon spill is still under the rocks. It's awful. This is what? 25 years later? This is an ecological disaster.
I've been causing problems by disagreeing with people today, but here I go again. Michelle, I have to disagree with you and agree with Gina. Individuals hired by BP are not the only people affected by this catastrophe. There are thousands of people besides those employed by BF that will be economically affected by this in terms of job loss. I feel sorry for all of those affected; the environment included.

If you will, take a look at some of the jobs that are projected to be affected by this environmental disaster:

The Gulf Oil Spill and Job Loss: By The Numbers : The Work Buzz

Quote:
the catastrophe might also be considered one of our nation’s worst in terms of its effect on employment....From fishermen, to lifeguards, to those in the offshore drilling industry — many in the Gulf region will find themselves unemployed due to the spill.

Following are recent estimates on the effect the oil spill will have on jobs:

• According to a published letter written to BP by the Louisiana Governor’s Administration, more than 12,000 jobs could be lost in Louisiana alone.
  • Houston, known for its concentration of large oil and offshore drilling companies like Halliburton and Cobalt International Energy, also has a reason to fear a hike in unemployment numbers; President Obama’s recently imposed restrictions on offshore drilling will suspend operations on 33 deepwater rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.
  • According to the Louisiana Mid-continent Oil and Gas Association, 180 to 280 employees work on each drilling platform per day. With 33 deepwater rigs projected to be idle for the next six months, that means thousands of workers may find themselves out of a job.
  • The drilling ban will also affect exploratory drilling efforts off the coasts of both Alaska and Virginia.
  • According to John Hofmeister, ex-CEO of Shell, the deepwater moratorium could cost up to 50,000 people in the oil industry their jobs in the next six months alone. The Wall Street Journal estimates the number could reach 75,000.
  • Federal officials have closed off more than 30 percent of the Gulf of Mexico to fishermen, according to Discovery News. Although much of the Gulf is still uncontaminated by the oil spill, some cautious restaurants have begun rejecting all Gulf-Coast seafood shipments as a safeguard — which could potentially affect the ability of fishermen to sell their harvest.
  • As Florida approaches its tourism season, there is fear that the oil spill will keep vacationers away from the state’s beaches. USA Today report that one Hilton Hotel in the Florida Keys received 50 percent fewer reservations last month than in did in May 2009. A drop in vacationers could mean job losses in popular vacation-destinations across the Gulf Coast area.

June 8th, 2010, 08:32 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
I've been causing problems by disagreeing with people today, but here I go again. Michelle, I have to disagree with you and agree with Gina. Individuals hired by BP are not the only people affected by this catastrophe. There are thousands of people besides those employed by BF that will be economically affected by this in terms of job loss. I feel sorry for all of those affected; the environment included.

If you will, take a look at some of the jobs that are projected to be affected by this environmental disaster:

The Gulf Oil Spill and Job Loss: By The Numbers : The Work Buzz
I have to disagree with you because when I said that, it was referring the BP executives. I was born, raised and worked in the oil and gas industry. There will always be jobs in the oil and gas industry. (Unfortunately it's a tough industry and sometimes requires you to move.) If you read my next posts, I do actually encourage people to feel bad for the people who died as well as the fishery industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I think it's safe to assume that someone cut a corner somewhere yeah. I think it's few and far between there's a for real accident. And in theory that's the point of regulations and someone enforcing them. But everyone cuts corners, on a daily basis, all the time. There's a huge difference between negligence ("Oh this well is broken, and if we keep going odds are this thing is going to blow...nevermind, keep going") and and accident, especially when they're being forced to drill in ridiculous places that require technology that surpasses space travel for it. Boycott? No. I'm sick of listening to the blame game. It's not Obama's fault (although he's done absolutely jack ****), it's not BP's fault, just plug the m-f-er up (and in all honesty, this compares NOWHERE to all the other oil spills that happen all the ***** time that no one cares to think about because they're not in the U.S.)
June 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Gina said:

Quote:
I do feel sorry for the American's that will lose their jobs at BP because of the stocks plummeting and they will probably be the first to go. And of course, I feel for the other people affected by this spill
And you responded:

Quote:
Don't feel sorry for them. They'll get rehired at Shell, Chevron, or start their own company. They'll be fine because the industry won't ever stop and we need those people working.

The only think I feel bad about is the environment. The shoreline in Alaska from the Exxon spill is still under the rocks. It's awful. This is what? 25 years later? This is an ecological disaster.
Oh ok. I missed the part where you specifically stated that you were referring to the BP execs and I read through all of the responses. Perhaps I missed that when I was paying attention to what my son was saying.

However, if someone states that they feel for "American's that will lose their jobs at BP because of the stocks plummeting", I undertake that they are referring to anyone that works at BP, since BP execs are not the only BP employees that own stocks in the company and they (the execs) are not the only BP employees that are susceptible to job loss in this situation. But hey, maybe Gina was referring to BP execs just as you were...but that's just how I interpreted the exchange between the two of you.

Last edited by BonitaAppleBomb; June 8th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
June 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM
We bought stock in BP earlier this week It's going to go back up.
June 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Gina said:

And you responded:

Oh ok. I missed the part where you specifically stated that you were referring to the BP execs and I read through all of the responses. Perhaps I missed that when I was paying attention to what my son was saying.

However, if someone states that they feel for "American's that will lose their jobs at BP because of the stocks plummeting", I undertake that they are referring to anyone that works at BP, since BP execs are not the only BP employees that own stocks in the company and they (the execs) are not the only BP employees that are susceptible to job loss in this situation. But hey, that's just my take on it.
Do you think the average worker gets stock options Carla?
June 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Do you think the average worker gets stock options Carla?
I don't see why not, especially if they are working for a company that trades stocks publicly. And BP just so happens to be a conglomerate that trades its stocks publicly:

Quote:
BP Plc (Petroleum company), the second-largest publicly traded oil company, and state-owned Malaysian and Chinese oil producers, between them bought about a quarter of the $10.4 billion of shares sold in Russia's OAO Rosneft, whose July 14 initial public offering was Europe's biggest in seven years.
BP, Petronas, CNPC Bought $2.6 Bln of Rosneft IPO (Update2) - Bloomberg

So there is no way I'd work for a conglomerate such as BP, a publicly trading company and NOT find a way to own a few of their stocks. Especially when you have people not employed by BP taking advantage of its stock.

When I worked part time for Wal-mart as a cashier (that is a pretty average worker), I owned a few stocks in the company. And even after I left, I was still able to keep those stocks because they too are/were publicly owned/traded. Not sure if they are still public, but more likely than not, they are.

Last edited by BonitaAppleBomb; June 8th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
June 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket Master View Post
To be honest, I really think BP is trying hard on this. I mean the well is 5k below water and that was a requirement for the off shore drilling allowance. I could be wrong, but that is what I heard.

Hopefully once this is fixed there will be a new set of what to do's if something happens again.

Really? You really think this?? They did not respond in a quick manner, there were tons of reports of workers doing NOTHING when the cameras were off, they skewed their data so it looked like much, much less oil was coming out, they failed to have measures put in place IN THE FIRST PLACE to prevent something like this!! Oil companies do NOT care about anything except for making their money.

Now, as for the original question, I have been going back and forth on this. I am now thinking that who even bother since I'm convinced that ALL oil companies are really awful and every company would respond- or not respond- in the same way as BP. I would love to boycott all oil companies, but that just is not possible, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
it's not BP's fault, just plug the m-f-er up (and in all honesty, this compares NOWHERE to all the other oil spills that happen all the ***** time that no one cares to think about because they're not in the U.S.)

Actually, this is the worst oil spill, ever.

June 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post

Actually, this is the worst oil spill, ever.
No, this is the worst oil spill in America, maybe. Not ever. What I said was that these oil spills happen all the time (which they do), and this one is not the worst (which it is not). No one gave a crap when it happened in South Africa :shrug:
June 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
I don't see why not, especially if they are working for a company that trades stocks publicly. And BP just so happens to be a conglomerate that trades its stocks publicly:

BP, Petronas, CNPC Bought $2.6 Bln of Rosneft IPO (Update2) - Bloomberg
You're assuming they do but that doesn't mean they do.

Quote:
So there is no way I'd work for a conglomerate such as BP, a publicly trading company and NOT find a way to own a few of their stocks. Especially when you have people not employed by BP taking advantage of its stock.
I think that's a noble thought and great for you. However, I don't think everyone makes financial decisions that way.

Quote:
When I worked part time for Wal-mart as a cashier (that is a pretty average worker), I owned a few stocks in the company. And even after I left, I was still able to keep those stocks because they too are/were publicly owned/traded. Not sure if they are still public, but more likely than not, they are.
Again, I think that's a noble thought and great for you. However, I don't think everyone makes financial decisions that way.

Carla, I think the short answer to my question is you don't know.

The majority of work done for oil companies are contracted out. Those contracted companies don't have stock options. The majority of people that do have stock options in their own company are not blue collared. Even the lower end white collar staff don't. In the end the majority of people in BP will continue to work &/or get another job at another company in a similar standing position. That's the way the industry works.
June 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiex2 View Post
No, this isn't the largest ever, but there hasn't been a large oil spill of this magnitude or greater in over 20 years. The one is South Africa you are referring to happened in 1983. Are you aware that "no one cared" because of what you remember or because of some sort of data or something? I am just not sure where you are getting your information from that "no one cared". I can just as easily say that "no one cared" about the largest oils pill on record, which currently is the "Lakeview Gusher", that occurred in California in 1909, spilling 1,230,000 tonnes of crude oil (of course, this may surpass that eventually, who knows). But I would have nothing to base that on.
To the first bolded, that doesn't defeat my point at all - my point is still valid - this is not the biggest oil spill ever. Mayaandsofiasmommy disagreed with that, and she was wrong, and I corrected her.

How do I know that "no one cares?" Well, first I must preface that I am sure the people in South Africa cared about the oil spill, not Americans though. Question for you, answer honestly without googling: Did you know about the Montara oil spill in Australia? The oil spill in Egypt in '04? Compared to your working knowledge of say, the Gulf War oil spill in Kuwait/Iraq? Ya know, the one that the U.S. was involved in? My entire point is that Americans don't care unless it's affecting them, and when it happens elsewhere it slips through the cracks rather quickly. This is nothing new, I don't know how to give you data for the obvious.
June 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
You're assuming they do but that doesn't mean they do.

I think that's a noble thought and great for you. However, I don't think everyone makes financial decisions that way.

Again, I think that's a noble thought and great for you. However, I don't think everyone makes financial decisions that way.

Carla, I think the short answer to my question is you don't know.

The majority of work done for oil companies are contracted out. Those contracted companies don't have stock options. The majority of people that do have stock options in their own company are not blue collared. Even the lower end white collar staff don't. In the end the majority of people in BP will continue to work &/or get another job at another company in a similar standing position. That's the way the industry works.
To the bolded, are you serious? Don't answer that because I think you are. So what you're attempting to say is, even though I've given you PROOF that BP is open to the public for trading, you still believe I'm clueless? mmmkay. At the end of this spill, I'll share with you the definition of a publicly trading company...such as BP. And you do realize that there are more employees working for BP than the people you're referring to.

You asked me: "Do you think the average worker gets stock options Carla?"

Perhaps you and I have different perceptions of the average worker because I do know what I'm talking about. I explained and proved to you that BP is a publicly traded company. Do you know what that means? That means that any Joe Blow on the street, average or not (whatever average is is) can buy a piece of BP if they have the money. That means that a homeless bum can beg for $30 from different people on the street. He can take that $30 and buy one share of BPs stock today and still have $.80 in change left over. He would officially have a piece of BPs stock. Their stock closed today at 29.20.

So normally, when the Human Resources Department of a company sits down with the average worker they review a list of benefits offered to that average employee. If that average employee stays with said company for so long, he/she is then able to buy (if he wants to) shares of stocks within that company if it is a company that publicly trades their stocks, such as BP. It doesn't matter if that average employee cleans the toilets and scrubs the floors or pumps gas. He still has the option to buy stocks in a public company for which he/she works. Doesn't matter if its the guy that comes in to collect shopping carts in the parking lot or clean the oil spills in the automotive department, that average employee has the right to own stocks just as any other person in that company.

Stock options are not reserved for the "above average" white collar top executives of a company. Everyone has a right to own PUBLIC stocks if they choose to do so. Even I own a few shares of BP myself and I've NEVER worked for them a day in my life. I just know that now is the time to buy. This time last year they were at over $50 share and now that are selling for a little less than $29 a share. Sounds like a deal to me and their stock will rise again and leave a lot of people, me included, with big smiles on their faces.

FYI...

Quote:
A public company or publicly traded company is a company that has permission to offer its registered securities (stock, bonds, etc.) for sale to the general public, typically through a stock exchange,

In addition to being able to easily raise capital, publicly traded companies may issue their securities as compensation for those that provide services to the company, such as their directors, officers, and employees.
Public company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

June 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
I do know what I'm talking about. I explained and proved to you that BP is a publicly traded company. Do you know what that means? That means that any Joe Blow on the street, average or not (whatever average is is) can buy a piece of BP if they have the money. That means that a homeless bum can beg for $30 from different people on the street. He can take that $30 and buy one share of BPs stock today and still have $.80 in change left over. He would officially have a piece of BPs stock. Their stock closed today at 29.20.
Show me a bank that would honestly let someone off the street buy a single stock!.

Quote:
Stock options are not reserved for the "above average" white collar top executives of a company. Everyone has a right to own PUBLIC stocks if they choose to do so. Even I own a few shares of BP myself and I've NEVER worked for them a day in my life. I just know that now is the time to buy. This time last year they were at over $50 share and now that are selling for a little less than $29 a share. Sounds like a deal to me and their stock will rise again and leave a lot of people, me included, with big smiles on their faces.
So really this is about your stock options.. gotcha!
June 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
If anyone's interested, the Department of Energy released the data from Deepwater Horizon. Department of Energy - Data Summary from Deepwater Horizon

And how can anyone make a determination about where this spill is going to land on the list of worst spills ever? I was under the impression that 12,000-19,000 barells are still spilling daily?

June 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Show me a bank that would honestly let someone off the street buy a single stock!.

So really this is about your stock options.. gotcha!
Ummm....you don't have to go through a bank to buy stocks. Anybody that is capable of reading and can comprehend the basic math can buy their own stocks online. I've never stepped foot in a bank to buy a stock. We clearly have different outlooks on who deserves to have access to all the lucrative assets that the financial world has to offer and who is not deserving of what is offered. And no this is NOT about my stock options, but I am one of those average workers that you keep referring to.

MSN Money - Investing 101: Buy your first stock or fund

Quote:
The first step in buying shares is deciding who will help you buy them. The most likely middle-man is a stockbroker, of which there are two main types:
  • Full-service brokers offer financial planning and advice on selecting investments such as stocks and mutual funds. They usually have offices you can visit, and an individual broker is usually assigned to each customer. Full-service brokers are the more expensive way to buy shares. You'll typically pay around $70 to buy or sell a batch of shares, compared to $20 or less with a so-called discount broker. That can be money well spent if you don't have the time or interest required to manage your portfolio on your own.
  • Discount brokers cater to investors willing to do their own research and make their own investing decisions. Most don't have local offices -- they typically operate online or over the phone -- and don't offer investing advice. Because their trading commissions are low, discount brokers are a good choice if you pick your own funds and stocks. Some brokers, such as Charles Schwab, straddle the line between full-service and discount, operating branch offices and offering some financial advice. Click here to learn how to pick a stockbroker.

June 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Even I own a few shares of BP myself and I've NEVER worked for them a day in my life. I just know that now is the time to buy.
Me too, me too! And I agree with you about the rest of your post as well. Actually, hubby informs me that we literally just sold it because it keeps dropping and probably will for awhile, so we'll buy again when it hits a plateau, or from his mouth "When they're done with all their bad news" lol
June 9th, 2010, 07:08 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Ummm....you don't have to go through a bank to buy stocks. Anybody that is capable of reading and can comprehend the basic math can buy their own stocks online. I've never stepped foot in a bank to buy a stock. We clearly have different outlooks on who deserves to have access to all the lucrative assets that the financial world has to offer and who is not deserving of what is offered. And no this is NOT about my stock options, but I am one of those average workers that you keep referring to.
Carla I don't mean to offend you. I think we do have totally different outlooks but more likely because I'm in Canada and you're in the US. If you're stuck on the notion you're an average worker, then we are in totally different conversations and not because I think you're unintelligent but because I was referring to BP stockholders that work for BP. I think you think all general stockholders. We are talking way different things here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search