Boycotting BP

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
Carla I don't mean to offend you. I think we do have totally different outlooks but more likely because I'm in Canada and you're in the US. If you're stuck on the notion you're an average worker, then we are in totally different conversations and not because I think you're unintelligent but because I was referring to BP stockholders that work for BP. I think you think all general stockholders. We are talking way different things here.
Fiscally speaking, if you compare my income to some others (some doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc), it is actually below average. Which is why I referred to myself as an average worker. Teaching is not a field that one strives to get rich in...not financially rich anyway-which is why I find other ways to supplement my income for the long term. However, if you look at the responsibilities (educating students) that my job entails, I would classify myself as an above average worker.

I do agree with you that our outlooks may differ based on our locations. That thought definitely crossed my mind. But even if you are referring to BP stockholders and I'm referring to general stockholders, the facts still remain the same when it comes down to public stock options.

June 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Fiscally speaking, if you compare my income to some others (some doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc), it is actually below average. Which is why I referred to myself as an average worker. Teaching is not a field that one strives to get rich in...not financially rich anyway-which is why I find other ways to supplement my income for the long term. However, if you look at the responsibilities (educating students) that my job entails, I would classify myself as an above average worker.

I do agree with you that our outlooks may differ based on our locations. That thought definitely crossed my mind. But even if you are referring to BP stockholders and I'm referring to general stockholders, the facts still remain the same when it comes down to public stock options.
Carla, I really don't understand but that's ok. You don't have to prove your wealth, your job nor your work ethic to me.

I still maintain the average oil worker in this spill will recover as will the upper executives. I would not feel sorry for them because it's the nature of the industry. If you want to, all the power to you. Stock plummeting is wasted sympathy IMO. (If you play penny stocks, I don't feel sorry for you either because it's a gamble you were willing to risk.) I would rather see that sympathy given to people who really DIED, who will die from the toxic clean up, the fishing industry &/or the environment.
June 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Carla, I really don't understand but that's ok. You don't have to prove your wealth, your job nor your work ethic to me.

I still maintain the average oil worker in this spill will recover as will the upper executives. I would not feel sorry for them because it's the nature of the industry. If you want to, all the power to you. Stock plummeting is wasted sympathy IMO. (If you play penny stocks, I don't feel sorry for you either because it's a gamble you were willing to risk.) I would rather see that sympathy given to people who really DIED, who will die from the toxic clean up, the fishing industry &/or the environment.
Quote:
You don't have to prove your wealth, your job nor your work ethic to me.
No worries. I wouldn't dare...that is way too personal.

Quote:
I still maintain the average oil worker in this spill will recover as will the upper executives. I would not feel sorry for them because it's the nature of the industry.
So now you don't feel sorry for the oil workers? Last night you stated that you were only referring to BP execs. Never mind and no worries. I don't want to get it.

Quote:
If you play penny stocks, I don't feel sorry for you either because it's a gamble you were willing to risk.
Stocks=Risks You just said it. That's what it's all about.

Good night. I have to get up early as I'm accompanying my son on a school field trip in the morning. Thirty 4 year olds. Fun times!

June 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Carla, I thought of a great one for you: debater most likely to make a mountain out of a molehill
June 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
We bought stock in BP earlier this week It's going to go back up.
My DH has been saying the same thing. I think he bought some earlier this week too.

June 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
To the first bolded, that doesn't defeat my point at all - my point is still valid - this is not the biggest oil spill ever. Mayaandsofiasmommy disagreed with that, and she was wrong, and I corrected her.

How do I know that "no one cares?" Well, first I must preface that I am sure the people in South Africa cared about the oil spill, not Americans though. Question for you, answer honestly without googling: Did you know about the Montara oil spill in Australia? The oil spill in Egypt in '04? Compared to your working knowledge of say, the Gulf War oil spill in Kuwait/Iraq? Ya know, the one that the U.S. was involved in? My entire point is that Americans don't care unless it's affecting them, and when it happens elsewhere it slips through the cracks rather quickly. This is nothing new, I don't know how to give you data for the obvious.
Ok, I stand corrected. This is the 16th largest oil spill ever in history. 5th since the 1990s. But the thing is, it is not over yet. And it doesn't look like it will be over anytime soon.

June 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
How can you possibly predict how large this spill will be or when it'll get blocked up? I'm watching coverage too. It's a little presumptuous to say it's the largest in history without any facts backing it up?
June 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Carla, I thought of a great one for you: debater most likely to make a mountain out of a molehill
And one for you too: debater most likely to resort to sillyness and corny jokes when backed into a corner.

June 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
How can you possibly predict how large this spill will be or when it'll get blocked up? I'm watching coverage too. It's a little presumptuous to say it's the largest in history without any facts backing it up?
Right. I think it's presumptuous to make a determination either way. We can't say it won't be any more than we can it will be. Until it's fully contained, we have no idea.

June 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Exactly. Read this article earlier today, and thumbs up to Romney, thought I'd post it:

Romney: We need a leader, not a politician - USATODAY.com
June 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Exactly. Read this article earlier today, and thumbs up to Romney, thought I'd post it:

No disrespect meant toward you glasscandle, but this article was written from the mind and through the eyes of a true Republican. I stopped reading right here because I couldn't take the lies:

Quote:
We saw leadership on Sept. 11, 2001
Then I attempted to read again and was tripped up again at the mention of this one:

Quote:
Into the crisis walked Rudy Giuliani. While that was an incomparable human tragedy, how the mayor led New York City to recover is a useful model for the president.

June 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
And one for you too: debater most likely to resort to sillyness and corny jokes when backed into a corner.
Hardly backed into a corner.. you didn't prove your points about it being BP workers owning stock so I tried to let you go light heartedly as I thought you were taking the average worker comment so personally.. guess it depends your POV

Quote:

GWB was looked down upon for his leadership for hurricane katrina and now Obama is for the oil spill. I'm wondering do Americans just have no back up plans or are Americans just too hard on politicians or is it a bit of both?

ETA: also, Americans seem to think government intervention is evil. This is a great example of where private industry is not pulling it's pants up. Do you think that may be part of why it is NO ONE is doing anything here?

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); June 10th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
June 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
No disrespect meant toward you glasscandle, but this article was written from the mind and through the eyes of a true Republican. I stopped reading right here because I couldn't take the lies:

Then I attempted to read again and was tripped up again at the mention of this one:
I don't understand. Guiliani did a great job getting NYC through the crisis. He did exactly the opposite of what Obama is doing, and that was not cause hysteria (unlike mayor of New Orleans after Katrinia) or play the blame game. The huge HUGE difference is as president of the United States, Obama should be leading, managing, not just assuring people that something will be done and then doing nothing or threatening to kick *****.

ETA: Besides, what was Guiliani supposed to do besides comfort an entire city that'd just been attacked? Rebuild the Twin Towers with his bare hands? Throw money around? No, he did exactly what any leader would do - offer reassurance and support to the people who needed it most. He attended hundreds of funerals, spent his days at Ground Zero and within the city, not in an office somewhere.

Last edited by glasscandie; June 10th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
June 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:

GWB was looked down upon for his leadership for hurricane katrina and now Obama is for the oil spill. I'm wondering do Americans just have no back up plans or are Americans just too hard on politicians or is it a bit of both?

ETA: also, Americans seem to think government intervention is evil. This is a great example of where private industry is not pulling it's pants up. Do you think that may be part of why it is NO ONE is doing anything here?
Obama is being looked down on for the oil spill because did very literally did jack **** for the first 30-40 days, and even now nothing is really getting done. Seriously. Look at his itinerary, it's published at the White House's Web site.

More government isn't "evil" I just happen to think it's bad. I think our gov't is already too big. The problem isn't that our gov't isn't big enough, it's that our gov't isn't making sure that safety measures that they put in place are actually followed. Go take a look at the ecological safety plan for oil drilling, because we do have one - nothing is being followed, half the numbers don't even add up, the senior scientist for it has been dead for awhile and half the links don't work when you go to the Web site. It doesn't make any sense to put MORE regulations on something when it's not being followed through with in the first place. It's like speeding and driving. OK, we have speed limits, and if it's enforced it typically works. When it's not enforced properly, more people are going to speed. It makes no sense whatsoever (except to be lazy) to put MORE restrictions on the driving/speed issue, it makes sense to actually FOLLOW THROUGH with what was supposed to happen in the first place.
June 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Boycotting isn't going to make a bit of difference to the executives of BP. It just hurts the gas station owners and their employees. The plummetting stocks are very troubling for some. My DH's grandpa is retired from BP and they are watching their retirement savings take a huge nose dive.

The reality of it is, if we allow offshore oil drilling this is going to keep happening. It's inevitable. No amount of safeguards etc. is going to ever stop accidents from happening because it is impossible to build perfect machinery and processes, something will go wrong eventually. If we want these things to stop happening then offshore drilling would have to be stopped altogether. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue really, but that's the only concrete solution.

June 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I find it completely ironic that some of the people who advocate for less government intervention, particularly within the business sector, are now criticizing Obama for not being more involved.

June 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Hardly backed into a corner.. you didn't prove your points about it being BP workers owning stock so I tried to let you go light heartedly as I thought you were taking the average worker comment so personally.. guess it depends your POV
Let me go lightheartedly? Gee, thanks for sparing me the embarrassment. So I really didn't answer your question? Actually I did. You just had a hard time accepting the fact that I knew what I was talking about. So since my little pieces of knowledge aren't good enough for you to accept, maybe reading it straight from the horse's mouth will suffice. Straight from BP's website:

Benefits | Experienced hires | United States | BP

Quote:
When you become a BP employee, you can expect to be recognized and competitively rewarded for your performance not just through your base pay, but through several variable pay plans and stock programs as well.

Depending on your role and responsibilities, you also may be eligible to participate in one of BPs stock programs. These are designed to align management and shareholder rewards, thereby creating employee ownership in BP.
Quote:

ETA: also, Americans seem to think government intervention is evil. This is a great example of where private industry is not pulling it's pants up.
I do agree with you here, 100%!

June 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I find it completely ironic that some of the people who advocate for less government intervention, particularly within the business sector, are now criticizing Obama for not being more involved.
Me? Because I assure you I'm criticizing Obama because he's not doing his job which really has nothing to do with gov't intervention in the business sector. It is on our territory, we have safety measures put in place for things like this, and the spill wasn't even on his radar for more than a month.

If you're not talking to me, ignore.
June 10th, 2010, 03:32 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Let me go lightheartedly? Gee, thanks for sparing me the embarrassment. So I really didn't answer your question? Actually I did. You just had a hard time accepting the fact that I knew what I was talking about. So since my little pieces of knowledge aren't good enough for you to accept, maybe reading it straight from the horse's mouth will suffice. Straight from BP's website:

Benefits | Experienced hires | United States | BP
Carla I know you know about penny stocks. You aren't showing what I'm asking for because you're assuming all oil workers are actually employed by BP. They aren't. Most things are contracted out. Also, we aren't talking the same thing when it comes to sympathy. So, again, it's not that I think you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to penny stocks, I think you don't understand the industry. So you can continue with beating this dead horse about penny stocks by stretching how you think everyone in the BP company has penny stocks by choice and stock options but I don't think it's achieving anything. The conversation Gina and I had is a different one you think we're having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
(I'm not directing this at Courtney but) I agree with this statement.

Quote:
Obama is being looked down on for the oil spill because did very literally did jack **** for the first 30-40 days, and even now nothing is really getting done. Seriously. Look at his itinerary, it's published at the White House's Web site.

More government isn't "evil" I just happen to think it's bad. I think our gov't is already too big. The problem isn't that our gov't isn't big enough, it's that our gov't isn't making sure that safety measures that they put in place are actually followed. Go take a look at the ecological safety plan for oil drilling, because we do have one - nothing is being followed, half the numbers don't even add up, the senior scientist for it has been dead for awhile and half the links don't work when you go to the Web site. It doesn't make any sense to put MORE regulations on something when it's not being followed through with in the first place. It's like speeding and driving. OK, we have speed limits, and if it's enforced it typically works. When it's not enforced properly, more people are going to speed. It makes no sense whatsoever (except to be lazy) to put MORE restrictions on the driving/speed issue, it makes sense to actually FOLLOW THROUGH with what was supposed to happen in the first place.
I agree that more gov't is bad. I am hoping you can post the link because I would like to see it. I have tons of questions.
June 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Link for what? BP's safety plan or Obama's timeline in the White House doing nothing for oil spill?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search