Boycotting BP

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
Link for what? BP's safety plan or Obama's timeline in the White House doing nothing for oil spill?
at Obama's timeline

The ecological safety plan for oil drilling.
June 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
FOXNews.com - Disaster in the Gulf: 52 Days and Counting ...
Obama's timeline. Blah blah blah it's off Fox's Web site but this is quite accessible from the White House Web site as well.

I can't find the specific article that I'm talking nabout for BP, I'll have to find it later. It doesn't matter, because they dropped the ball, and the gov't should have been on top of making sure that they were following regulations. That is their JOB.
June 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
It wasn't directed at you, Courtney; your post just reminded me of it because you brought up government intervention. I live near oil fields, and the outcry when Obama took office was ridiculous because they didn't want him to have anything to do with the oil industry. Unless it's "drill, baby, drill" they don't want the government even enforcing safety regs. Now, it's, "Why hasn't Obama fixed this already??"

I'm not sure what people even wanted the administration to do, honestly. I don't think this can be compared to Katrina because it's not a natural disaster. BP is responsible for this, and they should be the ones to fix it. The need to be the ones containing the oil and spending whatever it costs to minimize the damage. If we don't want the government controlling private industry, then we need to accept that the government's involvement is going to be limited. Not to mention all the criticism that was cast when the government tried to fix the banks' snafu. If Obama were spending millions to essentially let BP off the hook with this and to clean up their mess, people would be complaining about that. Seriously, there's no way to win.

June 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I'm not sure what people even wanted the administration to do, honestly. I don't think this can be compared to Katrina because it's not a natural disaster. BP is responsible for this, and they should be the ones to fix it. The need to be the ones containing the oil and spending whatever it costs to minimize the damage. If we don't want the government controlling private industry, then we need to accept that the government's involvement is going to be limited. Not to mention all the criticism that was cast when the government tried to fix the banks' snafu. If Obama were spending millions to essentially let BP off the hook with this and to clean up their mess, people would be complaining about that. Seriously, there's no way to win.
This is a great post. I would say though, I feel dirty as a consumer about the whole thing. I wish our society wasn't so dependent on oil and oil products. (I kinda feel like we are at fault here as a whole society.)
June 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Minerals Management Service is supposed to be the regulatory US gov't body on this. I checked out there website here it literally has NOTHING about this crisis. I get they are busy but they boost:
Quote:
These immense tasks are the responsibilities of the 600 employees in the MMS Gulf regional office and require their professional training in a host of disciplines. To accomplish this mission, we employ petroleum engineers, geophysicists, geologists, marine biologists, oceanographers, other environmental scientists, offshore inspectors, and computer personnel among other professionals.
What the heck are these 600 employees doing? (I think I get more where you were coming from now Courtney.)

So we have the US Coast Guard trying to set up booms that aren't long enough. We have Deepwater Horizon Response trying to investigate this in reports to give the US Coast Guard and MMS.

So I'm just curious what more should Obama be doing?
June 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Ok this is my new favorite source on it all : Deepwater Horizon oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
On April 22, 2010, the United States Coast Guard and the Minerals Management Service launched an investigation of the possible causes of the explosion.[25] On May 11, 2010, the Obama administration requested the National Academy of Engineering conduct an independent technical investigation to determine the root causes of the disaster so that corrective steps could be taken to address the mechanical failures underlying the accident.[215] The United States House Committee on Energy and Commerce asked Halliburton to brief it as well as provide any documents it might have related to its work on the Macondo well.
Quote:
National Commission established
On May 22, 2010 President Obama announced that he has signed an executive order establishing the bipartisan National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, with former Florida Governor and Senator Bob Graham and former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator William K. Reilly serving as co-chairs. The purpose of the commission is to "consider the root causes of the disaster and offer options on safety and environmental precautions."[223][224]
Atlantis Oil Field safety practices
Main article: Atlantis Oil Field
The Deepwater Horizon disaster has given new impetus to a number of Congressional Representatives to pressure the Minerals Management Service to investigate safety practices on BP's Atlantis PQ offshore platform in the Atlantis Oil Field. A whistleblower report to the Minerals Management Service in March 2009 stated that "over 85 percent of the Atlantis Project's Piping and Instrument drawings lacked final engineer-approval," as legally required.[225][226] Furthermore, the report suggested "the project be immediately shut down until those documents could be accounted for and independently verified."[225] BP and other oil industry groups wrote letters objecting to a proposed Minerals Management Service rule last year that would have required stricter safety measures.[227] The Minerals Management Service changed rules in April 2008 to exempt certain projects in the central Gulf region, allowing BP to operate in the Macondo Prospect without filing a blowout plan.[228]
Minerals Management Service is an office within the United States Department of the Interior and receives most of its revenue from leasing federal lands and waters to oil and natural gas companies with a profit margin of 98%. Minerals Management Service is one of the largest revenue sources to the federal government after the IRS. According to Darrell Issa, the top Republican on the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, there may be a conflict of interest for the Minerals Management Service to collect revenue and also oversee safety.[229]
^ Same link
June 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Ok.. back to the original debate
Quote:
Across the US, thousands of people participated in dozens of protests at BP gas stations and other locations.[243][244][245] While BP does not own any gas stations in the US, it does sell gasoline to BP, ARCO and other gas stations in the US and internationally.[246][dead link] In late May, Greenpeace activists in London scaled BP's company headquarters in St. James's Square and unfurled mock BP logo banners imprinted with oil stains reading "british polluters".[247]
^ this is why boycotting is futile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
It wasn't directed at you, Courtney; your post just reminded me of it because you brought up government intervention. I live near oil fields, and the outcry when Obama took office was ridiculous because they didn't want him to have anything to do with the oil industry. Unless it's "drill, baby, drill" they don't want the government even enforcing safety regs. Now, it's, "Why hasn't Obama fixed this already??"

Just adding to your point
Quote:
"Unlike the response to other past national disasters such as Hurricane Katrina where the government was in charge," the McClatchy story continues, "BP has been designated as the 'responsible party' under federal law and is overseeing much of the response to the spill. The government is acting more as an adviser. So far, the government has been slow to press BP to release its data and permit others to evaluate the extent of the crisis."

The New York Times further reports, "Tensions between the Obama administration and the scientific community over the gulf oil spill are escalating, with prominent oceanographers accusing the government of failing to conduct an adequate scientific analysis of the damage and of allowing BP to obscure the spill's true scope."

"The scientists point out that in the month since the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, the government has failed to make public a single test result on water from the deep ocean," the Times observes. "And the scientists say the administration has been too reluctant to demand an accurate analysis of how many gallons of oil are flowing into the sea from the gushing oil well."
After blocking CBS crew, Coast Guard denies 'BP rules' -- Signs of the Times News
June 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Furthermore, the report suggested "the project be immediately shut down until those documents could be accounted for and independently verified."[225] BP and other oil industry groups wrote letters objecting to a proposed Minerals Management Service rule last year that would have required stricter safety measures.[227] The Minerals Management Service changed rules in April 2008 to exempt certain projects in the central Gulf region, allowing BP to operate in the Macondo Prospect without filing a blowout plan
Sad, disappointing, and disgusting! All of them should be held accountable. Those people's lives could have been saved had the MMS not changed the rule that allowed BP the green light to go forward.

June 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Sad, disappointing, and disgusting! All of them should be held accountable. Those people's lives could have been saved had the MMS not changed the rule that allowed BP the green light to go forward.
I've read about this and thought it would become a blame the president game.. In Alberta, the EUB is the regulating board on this and truthfully, the higher government officials federally aren't as involved as the provincial government is. I know Newfoundland's premier put in tough, and awesome regulations for offshore drilling and is highly respected for it. So I don't know the differences between the State officials in the US to the provincial officials in Canada but a piece of me wonders if this was done to help stimulate the economy because of Katrina?
June 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I think the difference is probably lobbyists who are willing to spend anything to make sure oil companies don't have to conform to tight regulations that would hurt the bottom line. I really don't think it's doing much in Katrina-effected areas because those residents aren't seeing a dime.

Also Michelle, I posted a link earlier in this thread with a data summary from the EPA. That article you linked is a few weeks old, and the administration has since responded to complaints of the lack of transparency and released information.

June 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Seriously guys... this looks like it's going to get even worse!

Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Underground Blowout Massive Evacuations Planned | EUTimes.net

Oil Volcano Pressure Too Strong for Containment - Project Nsearch
June 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!

June 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
June 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gina, thats hilarious!

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search