Boycotting BP

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Does it do any good to boycott the gas stations that are affiliated with BP or are we just putting small owners out of business and not affecting the multi-billion dollar company? If we don't boycott the individual stations then how do we get the message across that the way that this tragedy is being handled is unacceptable?

Boycott BP? That Hurts Station Owners -- Not the Company - DailyFinance

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
June 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
To be honest, I really think BP is trying hard on this. I mean the well is 5k below water and that was a requirement for the off shore drilling allowance. I could be wrong, but that is what I heard.

Hopefully once this is fixed there will be a new set of what to do's if something happens again.

June 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
KimberlyD0
whats BP??
June 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
Does it do any good to boycott the gas stations that are affiliated with BP or are we just putting small owners out of business and not affecting the multi-billion dollar company? If we don't boycott the individual stations then how do we get the message across that the way that this tragedy is being handled is unacceptable?

Boycott BP? That Hurts Station Owners -- Not the Company - DailyFinance
I haven't read your link yet. I think people fail to understand why all these boycotts don't work. In the end the oil has to refined in plants that are mutually owned. So it's not like you can avoid BP's oil. It's everywhere. It's just 25% owned by Shell, 25% owned by Chevron, etc. etc. The only way people can really boycott is by doing things like bike riding, and walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket Master View Post
To be honest, I really think BP is trying hard on this. I mean the well is 5k below water and that was a requirement for the off shore drilling allowance. I could be wrong, but that is what I heard.

Hopefully once this is fixed there will be a new set of what to do's if something happens again.
Oh.. I don't think they are trying as hard as they could. These lack of safety measures were purposely done to save money. It was to help stimulate the economy these government guidelines were withdrawn. If the government knowingly took these provisions away, they should have a back up plan to tap that well. They depended on industry to do this.
June 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
BP is British Petroleum.

and if they aren't doing all they can, then whatever befalls them, good. I do feel sorry for the American's that will lose their jobs at BP because of the stocks plummeting and they will probably be the first to go. And of course, I feel for the other people affected by this spill

June 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket Master View Post
BP is British Petroleum.

and if they aren't doing all they can, then whatever befalls them, good. I do feel sorry for the American's that will lose their jobs at BP because of the stocks plummeting and they will probably be the first to go. And of course, I feel for the other people affected by this spill
Don't feel sorry for them. They'll get rehired at Shell, Chevron, or start their own company. They'll be fine because the industry won't ever stop and we need those people working.

The only think I feel bad about is the environment. The shoreline in Alaska from the Exxon spill is still under the rocks. It's awful. This is what? 25 years later? This is an ecological disaster.
June 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
The only think I feel bad about is the environment. .
I can't watch news footage of the wildllife thats been affected because it upsets me too much. My boys and I save all the little critters we can (if we feel they need saving) so sitting in front of the tv seeing the birds covered in oil and muck and not being able to do anything about makes me so sad

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I've been lucky enough to scuba dive and I can't tell you what an ecological disaster this is for underwater. Maybe the fishermen could be an industry you can feel bad about on the human side of things?
June 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
we boycott

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

June 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jax~ View Post
we boycott
How?
June 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
How?
By digging a hole in the ground and living in it, without power, telephone, a car, and growing all your own food and not buying anything that's been transported, ever.

Pretty much the only way it can be done.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
KimberlyD0
I don't buy gas cause I don't drive... I walk everywhere (by choice) does that count?

Honestly I think its kind of pointless. Whats done is done, it horrible and it'll take years to clean it up. But its done. Boycotting will not change that. It wont hurt the big guy, only the little guy.
June 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
I've been lucky enough to scuba dive and I can't tell you what an ecological disaster this is for underwater. Maybe the fishermen could be an industry you can feel bad about on the human side of things?
Yes, I feel bad for the fishermen and all the businesses affected as well.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
By digging a hole in the ground and living in it, without power, telephone, a car, and growing all your own food and not buying anything that's been transported, ever.

Pretty much the only way it can be done.
Exactly.
June 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Yes, I feel bad for the fishermen and all the businesses affected as well.
Yes, all of that...and for the 11 people who died in the explosion...

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

June 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesridge View Post
Yes, all of that...and for the 11 people who died in the explosion...
I'm glad you brought this up as a reminder. They and their families have been kind of forgotten in this whole thing.

June 7th, 2010, 04:34 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I'm glad you brought this up as a reminder. They and their families have been kind of forgotten in this whole thing.
^ ditto!

I've read about BP making survivors sign "don't sue me" waivers prior to letting them on shore to contact their families.
June 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I don't think a boycott will do anything but hurt people not involved. I do think that the pressure for change has to be put on the government. I work in gas and oil and all companies do the minimum they need to meet regulations, otherwise they wouldnt be cost competetive. The only way to prevent disasters like this from happening is more government regulation (like they have in Europe).
June 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Just some awful news to read: Scientist Awed by Size, Density of Undersea Oil Plume in Gulf - NYTimes.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search