Log In Sign Up

Gerber Good Start Formula Commerical


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 16,621
I recently saw this Gerber Good Start Formula commercial. I thought the commercial was misleading to those who don't know that breast milk is better than formula. The commercial comes off that formula is as good as breast milk. What do you think?

YouTube - Gerber Good Start Protect Plus
__________________

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,258
I think that it's not the formula companies job to educate their potential customers about the goodness of breastmilk or even that breastmilk is better (even though it is). They're trying to sell a product.
__________________
Lauren




Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 16,621
Yes, but they are telling people that their product is as good as breast milk and that is false advertising. I fully believe those out there that are uneducated about breast milk believe that formula is just as good, which is because of these formula companies. I think formula companies are bad.
__________________

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
No where in the Add does it say its "just as good as breastmilk" it says that probiotics can be found in it like it is in breastmilk.

Thin line to be sure, but they didn't lie or do false advertisment because they do have probiotics added just like breastmilk has probiotics.

I've only seen this add on the amarican channels, the Canadian channels don't air them.

You can think formula companies are bad all you want, and I'm sure many would agree with you. They are no more or less "bad" then any other business in the world.

There is a very real need at this time for formula. The need for formula is not going to just change over night. Formula didn't take over in a night and neither will breastfeeding. These types of things take time.

There are severeal brands and types of formula so like every other thing sold they advertise. They try to make their formula look better then the other formula's.

I was at a distinct disadvantage when I was unable to provide BM to my first child because there are no adds for formula and because of that I got the wrong stuff, I got 6+ month formula and didn't even know it wasn't untill after I already needed formula that I had to learn about it.

Its kind of a double edged sward. If they advertise then they are evil and they are harming BF, if they don't them parents who do need formula know nothing about it untill its too late.

I honestly don't know where I sit with the advertising formula issue. I see both sides, and both sides have valid points.

Last edited by KimberlyD0; June 8th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
Yes, but they are telling people that their product is as good as breast milk and that is false advertising. I fully believe those out there that are uneducated about breast milk believe that formula is just as good, which is because of these formula companies. I think formula companies are bad.
Formula companies are going to promote their product, that's what companies do. It's not their job to tell the 'uneducated people' that breast milk is better than their product. Those people are responsible for gaining more knowledge about breast milk. If they don't take the time to educate themselves about it, that is their fault. The commercial never said that their formula was just as good as breast milk. It said it has probiotics that are also found in breast milk.
__________________
Lauren




Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
I hate forumal companies, and I FF'd my first. They lie a lot, they mislead consumers, and formula does kill babies. I'm reading The Politics of Breastfeeding and it's a real eye opener for me about formula companies. I don't believe they really care much about the health of babies, and I think they are all for the money. Promoting a product like this is so different than anything else. Most babies cannot tolerate formula because of the milk and casein in it, and soya formula is really bad for babies. Although it's not their job to tell women that breastmilk is better for their babies, I think it would be best if they did remind women that it is better for babies to have breastmilk.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
*sigh* Nevermind. I probably shouldn't be debating today.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
chlodoll
Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't think its overly misleading. I think its more misleading to those who already formula feed to spend more money on something that probably doesn't really matter.

I think we need to face it that people know breastfeeding is better then formula or I should say the majority of people do, its not about it being better its about it being easier. Five people I know have had babies in the last year and not one breastfed. Where we live breastfeeding is widely accepted and encouraged, we don't have formula ads on Canadian tv or in our magazines. All these mom's I know knew breastfeeding was better.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
If you look *really* closely, it says that Gerber recommends breastfeeding. I think all formula companies are required to put in the advertising that breastmilk is best. That being said, I think formula advertising needs to be tightly regulated as it is in Canada. After three years, Canada's not seeing an impact with those regulations (Canadian infant formula crackdown fails to make baby steps) but I also don't think three years is nearly long enough to see an impact. I think the comparison needs to be generational, not now and a few years ago.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I hate forumal companies, and I FF'd my first. They lie a lot, they mislead consumers, and formula does kill babies. I'm reading The Politics of Breastfeeding and it's a real eye opener for me about formula companies. I don't believe they really care much about the health of babies, and I think they are all for the money. Promoting a product like this is so different than anything else. Most babies cannot tolerate formula because of the milk and casein in it, and soya formula is really bad for babies. Although it's not their job to tell women that breastmilk is better for their babies, I think it would be best if they did remind women that it is better for babies to have breastmilk.

This has always bothered me when someone says this. Can you show any cases in Canada, the US, or any other 1st world country where properly regulated, domestic formula has directly caused the death of a child when used properly??
Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Do you mean a developed country? First, second and third-world are actually terms from the Cold War, and first-world countries simply refers to capitalist countries that were allied with the US. Anyway, several babies died in China in 2008 and thousands more were sickened by tainted formula. Their parents prepared the formula correctly, and we can't really point a finger at lack of regulations because the melamine was added to get the protein count in the milk up to regulation standards. In fact, while the milk brokers were slipping melamine into the milk, China's government was on a rampage to increase product safety across the board. It could just as easily happen in North America, and we did see something similar when the CDC found rocket fuel in formula. The EPA deemed the level of rocket fuel safe for consumption, but would you want your newborn ingesting that?

Bottom line, there is always going to be the potential for lethal contaminants, regardless of regulation and proper preparation.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm just going come right out and say it: I'm glad formula companies are working at making better baby formula. It would be awesome if every mother nursed her babies, but that's just not reality, so I'm really glad to see them adding probiotics because its incredibly healthy for baby's gut flora, and can help prevent some of the tummy troubles that formula can trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I was at a distinct disadvantage when I was unable to provide BM to my first child because there are no adds for formula and because of that I got the wrong stuff, I got 6+ month formula and didn't even know it wasn't untill after I already needed formula that I had to learn about it.
What is there to learn about that isn't printed on the can?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
June 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Do you mean a developed country? First, second and third-world are actually terms from the Cold War, and first-world countries simply refers to capitalist countries that were allied with the US. Anyway, several babies died in China in 2008 and thousands more were sickened by tainted formula. Their parents prepared the formula correctly, and we can't really point a finger at lack of regulations because the melamine was added to get the protein count in the milk up to regulation standards. In fact, while the milk brokers were slipping melamine into the milk, China's government was on a rampage to increase product safety across the board. It could just as easily happen in North America, and we did see something similar when the CDC found rocket fuel in formula. The EPA deemed the level of rocket fuel safe for consumption, but would you want your newborn ingesting that?

Bottom line, there is always going to be the potential for lethal contaminants, regardless of regulation and proper preparation.
Thats not Canada or the US China doesn't have the same standards as the US.

Again can you show a direct link in Canada or the US where a baby has died from domestic formula? Thats been both made correctly by the parents AND also made with proper regulations and safty measures?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post


What is there to learn about that isn't printed on the can?
True, but 5 days PP after a c-section and in so much pain you can't function, is really not the best time to try and read and figure things out Before that I was one of those "everyone should breastfeed, if they don't they're selfish/lazy.. insert any stereotype you like" Boy did I come crashing down to reality LOL I knew nothing about formula.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
June 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
Still not sure what there is to figure out that advertisement would provide
Reply With Quote
  #15  
June 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 16,621
Newsy | Study Says Breastfeeding Saves Money, Lives | Multisource Video News Analysis

Formula and Infant Deaths - The Baby Bond

Infant formula linked to deaths
__________________

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
June 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 7,832
I think that all companies should be held to a standard of honesty in advertising but at the end of the day every company - even those that make things that aren't great for us, like McDonald's and formula and pesticides etc - are still going to get as close to the line as they can to get your business. Corporations are also legally required to make as much money as they can for the stakeholder - that is their literal function. Not to teach people, or be "good" corporate citizens, but to make money.

From a "gut" perspective, of course I think it's dishonest to imply things that may or may not be true or to try ot convince people that something is a great or equal food source. But at the end of the day, it's not the company's job to ensure that message gets out, just as it is not the job of oil companies to make sure we know how bad it is to burn fossil fuels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I hate forumal companies, and I FF'd my first. They lie a lot, they mislead consumers, and formula does kill babies. I'm reading The Politics of Breastfeeding and it's a real eye opener for me about formula companies. I don't believe they really care much about the health of babies, and I think they are all for the money. Promoting a product like this is so different than anything else. Most babies cannot tolerate formula because of the milk and casein in it, and soya formula is really bad for babies. Although it's not their job to tell women that breastmilk is better for their babies, I think it would be best if they did remind women that it is better for babies to have breastmilk.
They do. Although maybe more here than in the US? But every container of formula I've ever seen, and any literature I've ever seen, has the "it's best for you and baby to breastfeed" message on it. Some have it on the lid so that when you open the lid of powdered formula, that's what you see... of course, I'm sure they only do this because they are required to by law, but I can guarantee they DO do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
I'm just going come right out and say it: I'm glad formula companies are working at making better baby formula. It would be awesome if every mother nursed her babies, but that's just not reality, so I'm really glad to see them adding probiotics because its incredibly healthy for baby's gut flora, and can help prevent some of the tummy troubles that formula can trigger. ?
Ditto this. I've thought this before but not had the nerve to say it might be a good thing if they are "improving" formulas. So thanks for saying it
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #17  
June 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
Thats not Canada or the US China doesn't have the same standards as the US.

Again can you show a direct link in Canada or the US where a baby has died from domestic formula? Thats been both made correctly by the parents AND also made with proper regulations and safty measures?
You asked for a case of a baby dying from consuming formula in a developed country with regulations in place. China meets that criteria. The statement you were taking issue with was "formula kills babies." Well, formula killed babies in China in 2008, so exactly what part of her statement do you think is false? I saw that Laurel posted some links for you. I hope you find her information more valid than you found mine.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #18  
June 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a

Great.. now show me a single child who has in fact died directly from formula used and manufactured properly in Canada or the US so not from improper use, improper manufacturing (IE what happend in China) or doesn't involve a child who has an allergy, cause that of course can cause issues, but is usually able to be delt with by providing hypoallergenic formula.

Its all well and good to do the study and make the claim, but where are all these supposed babies who are dieing of formula in our countries??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
You asked for a case of a baby dying from consuming formula in a developed country with regulations in place. China meets that criteria. The statement you were taking issue with was "formula kills babies." Well, formula killed babies in China in 2008, so exactly what part of her statement do you think is false? I saw that Laurel posted some links for you. I hope you find her information more valid than you found mine.
First China does not have the same controls or standards as Canada and the US.

Second this was formula NOT made properly (which is a whole other ball game)

China doesn't have much I would trust. Food, Toy's Formula (which btw formula from china is not legally able to be distributed in Canada or the US since it doesn't meet the standards. Lets not forget foods. I would not buy foods from China either because they're usually filled with toxins.

So no China doesn't meet the criteria for what I am asking.

Last edited by KimberlyD0; June 8th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
June 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00028p1570.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #20  
June 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 16,621
Why are these sources not good enough for you? Why isn't the example Jess gave you about China good enough for you? What happened in China can just as easily happen in North America.
__________________

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0