Log In Sign Up

Expectant Mother Parking Spots


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
June 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
The spots here are wider, like handicap spots. Makes for loading kids in and out easier. If you do not have a child with you when you get in or out of the vehicle, you can get a ticket ($10 for first offense). They are enforced, just not as often as handicap spots.

Best thing ever... noticed one of our stores has ELDERLY PARKING signs. Means the elderly no longer warrant handicap because of their age. If they dont walk with an aid they do not get to use the handicap spots.

What? That's ridiculous. My dad has severe health problems. He walks with a very bad limp and wears braces on his ankles and hands 24 hours a day. He doesn't walk with an "aid".. would he not be allowed to park in the handicap even though he has a placard? If my dad had to walk the entire length of the parking lot I know that he would fall down out of pain and exhaustion.
__________________
A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the
present, and the hope and promise of the future.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
June 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 12,545
They need to have an Expecting Multiples spot. Seriously. Pregnant with one? You need all the exercise you can get.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
June 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
What? That's ridiculous. My dad has severe health problems. He walks with a very bad limp and wears braces on his ankles and hands 24 hours a day. He doesn't walk with an "aid".. would he not be allowed to park in the handicap even though he has a placard? If my dad had to walk the entire length of the parking lot I know that he would fall down out of pain and exhaustion.
I would personally assume that the braces would count as an aid. I think she meant that just turning 75, 80, 85 or whatever doesn't qualify someone for an immediate handicap spot, but they actually have to BE physically disabled in some form - not just old and tired/sore.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
June 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I would personally assume that the braces would count as an aid. I think she meant that just turning 75, 80, 85 or whatever doesn't qualify someone for an immediate handicap spot, but they actually have to BE physically disabled in some form - not just old and tired/sore.
I have alot of respect for the elderly. My grandparents are in their 90's, don't walk with an aid but are very old and tired and have fallen and broken many bones by just walking. They deserve a parking spot closer to the store just as much as an expectant mother in my opinion.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #45  
June 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 12,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I would personally assume that the braces would count as an aid. I think she meant that just turning 75, 80, 85 or whatever doesn't qualify someone for an immediate handicap spot, but they actually have to BE physically disabled in some form - not just old and tired/sore.
Do they actually grant placards to people just because of age right now?? If so, I had no clue and I disagree with it. I think you need to be disabled to get one. I think everyone- older people included- need to be physically active. I think the US is probably one of the only countries where you drive everywhere and can park really close- with or without a placard.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #46  
June 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,258
I feel really old and tired sometimes. I would like a parking spot for that.
__________________
Lauren




Reply With Quote
  #47  
June 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket Master View Post
I have alot of respect for the elderly. My grandparents are in their 90's, don't walk with an aid but are very old and tired and have fallen and broken many bones by just walking. They deserve a parking spot closer to the store just as much as an expectant mother in my opinion.
I never said they didn't, I was just explaining the function of the permit/parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
Do they actually grant placards to people just because of age right now?? If so, I had no clue and I disagree with it. I think you need to be disabled to get one. I think everyone- older people included- need to be physically active. I think the US is probably one of the only countries where you drive everywhere and can park really close- with or without a placard.
Tithen is in Canada, so I was assuming they used to give them out based on age by the way she worded her response.. but I don't really know.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
June 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,600
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
What? That's ridiculous. My dad has severe health problems. He walks with a very bad limp and wears braces on his ankles and hands 24 hours a day. He doesn't walk with an "aid".. would he not be allowed to park in the handicap even though he has a placard? If my dad had to walk the entire length of the parking lot I know that he would fall down out of pain and exhaustion.
Your dad has a legitimate handicap. My reply didn't say he woudln't qualify. it said that eldery people with no placecard or would be able to use the handicap spots. They do think they're entitled, that their age is a handicap (until you try and force em to retire, then they cry foul *rolls eyes*)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I would personally assume that the braces would count as an aid. I think she meant that just turning 75, 80, 85 or whatever doesn't qualify someone for an immediate handicap spot, but they actually have to BE physically disabled in some form - not just old and tired/sore.
Yes. currently elderly of any fitness seem to think that just because they've paid their dues to society they get to use the handicap spots. Nothing like seeing a 65 year old woman in 4" heels trot out of a vehicle in a handicap spot while the guy in the wheelchair can't find one to get out of his vehicle in. And if you say anything to the elderly they can literally flip out.



My grandparents have one. My grandmother has a problem with her legs. They ONLY use the placecard if she is in the vehicle and can't get a slot close to the front. My grandfather will never use it if he's out by himself, because he doesnt need it. My aunt has one due to a broken foot that will never properly heal and she can't walk long distances (even once around a grocery store can't always happen for her). She will ALWAYS use it, even if she's not in pain, or going to be walking a good distance.

People will always abuse the system. These new spots here are to try and weed out the people who dont need the handicap spots, but could use less of a walk to the store. So we have PREGNANT WOMEN/MOTHERS OF NEWBORNS (signs state, for women nearing the end of pregnancy or carrying a newborn in a carseat), SMALL CHILDREN (the requirements are single parent occupancy in the vehicle and a child under 3), Handicap (needs permit) and Elderly (65 or older, valid identification may be requested).

I think it's a step in the right direction honestly, will keep people who think they're owed something due to age out of the spots for people who really do need them.


PS: We will soon have 1 spot per parking lot reserved for injuried people. Walking aid users only (cane, crutches etc)
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #49  
June 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Where do they PUT all these spots? There are only so many spots that are close enough to the front door to bother reserving, and a certain number of them are legally required to be Handicapped Parking.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
June 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,600
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Iv'e tried to figure this out. the 8 closest to the store are always handicap. usually one expectant mother slot is bunched with them, and now one elderly. the injury one is taking the place of what we call our taxi slots (to prevent taxis from illegially idling waiting for a passenger).

it works... someone drew me a picture. Plus this is a city, most ppl take transit and walk.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0