Expectant Mother Parking Spots

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
chlodoll
Most places around here now have these Expectant Mother parking spots. Now some of them only say Expectant Mother and some will say for people with kids or new mothers.

What do you think the rules are on these? If it only says Expectant Mother do you assume they mean for people with children as well? And when it says New Mother does that mean I am only supposed to have a baby and not use it with older children?

Do you use these spots?
June 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
The only ones I've ever seen are labels something like "family parking" or "reserved for families with small children." I would assume that if you're children are big enough that you don't need to carry them or worry that they will sprint in front of a moving car, don't park there (unless you're pregnant).

But there's no way to enforce who parks there, just like there's no way to force that single, fit guy to give you his parking space by the door instead of making you waddle from the back of the parking lot begging for mercy.

I usually leave the spaces for people who actually need it. If I'm capable of carrying my child or walking without too much difficulty, I won't park there.
June 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to brittbratt Send a message via Yahoo to brittbratt
I think they are kind of stupid. If a pregnant mother can walk around a store and shop then she can walk from the parking lot to the store.

June 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM
KimberlyD0
DH's work has these. They're called expectent mother/new mother spots. They're ment for expectent mothers, and for moms of new babies. They enforce it the same way they do handy capped spots. I think they're a great idea.
June 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittbratt View Post
I think they are kind of stupid. If a pregnant mother can walk around a store and shop then she can walk from the parking lot to the store.
LOL I do agree but perhaps its more about having to carry items out?

See at the drugstore here they say for Expectant Mothers, and then in the same plaza at the grocery store they say Parent and Child parking. I don't think anyone actually enforces it.
June 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
We have them and some say "Pregnant Mother's Parking", others say "Pregnant women and new mothers" and some say "family parking". I think they are all the same thing, all for families with small children. People are usually really good about only using them while pregnant or small children (usually still in car seats).

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
DH's work has these. They're called expectent mother/new mother spots. They're ment for expectent mothers, and for moms of new babies. They enforce it the same way they do handy capped spots. I think they're a great idea.
In the states, you can be fined up to $250 for parking in a handicapped spot without a permit, not to mention get your car towed. They REALLY do that for expecting/new mothers? Wouldn't it be easier to give them handicapped parking permits?

Quote:
Walking from the back of a large parking lot to the store and THEN around the store and BACK to your car is significantly different than being dropped off at the door, or parking in the closest spot. Plus, when you're just running in to get one or two things, having to huff and puff through the parking lot for three times as long as you're inside just sucks.

Of course, perhaps I'm biased, considering my current whale status.
June 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:

I don't really see it as any different than handicap parking spaces, the same thing can be said for people in wheel chairs.

I've never used an expectant mom parking space. However, after having Ivy, I DID use the electric scooter thingies at WalMart. And when Timmy was with me I let him right with me. You would not believe the glares I got from cranky old ladies. No doubt they thought I was just being a pig and indulging a spoiled child, and I just felt like telling them "a human being came hurdling out my hoo-hoo 5 days ago, cut me some slack." I STILL had to get groceries, it's not like life stops when mini-humans fall out of your bodily openings.

I think the parking spaces and scooters are totally legit. If you feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck but still have to get things done, use what's availible to you.
June 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't seen these anywhere around here. I wish we did have them, I would use it .
Trust me, walking(waddling) from the back of the parking lot in 90+ degree heat while 8 months pregnant is ALOT different than walking around an air-conditioned grocery store with a cart to lean on... And I have longingly eyed those scooters several times in the last month or so and probably should have used one a few times, but I havent yet...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

June 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My second pregnancy was extremely difficult. I actually had to stop working because I was beginning to get symptoms of seizures, which I get from being too tired and hot. Standing in line at the grocery store was enough to make me faint, and walking more than 100 feet brought me to tears. But.. you still need diapers for the older child, or milk for dinner.

We have a few of the parking spots around town and when I was younger I was like whatever.. But after two pregnancies, one of them being very difficult, I TOTALLY see them being valid, as well as pregnant women using an electric scooter. I passed out in the middle of costco once because I walked for about 15 minutes.

I think too often women think "My pregnancy was easy, so all the other women are complaining just because they want to hear themselves talk." but that's not true at all. Many women are deathly sick while pregnant.. and again... you need milk for dinner, diapers for the baby, whatever it is, you have to suck it up and go.. and thank god that parking spot is close to the door. If only the grocery store was a drive-thru .
June 10th, 2010, 03:56 AM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
In the states, you can be fined up to $250 for parking in a handicapped spot without a permit, not to mention get your car towed. They REALLY do that for expecting/new mothers? Wouldn't it be easier to give them handicapped parking permits?
They sure do. Although I don't know what the fine is here. They don't worry about it for families of small kids, fathers with smaller children, that kind of thing. But if you have someone who is perfictly healthy and capable of walking, but they're just too lazy then they'll enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I don't really see it as any different than handicap parking spaces, the same thing can be said for people in wheel chairs.

I've never used an expectant mom parking space. However, after having Ivy, I DID use the electric scooter thingies at WalMart. And when Timmy was with me I let him right with me. You would not believe the glares I got from cranky old ladies. No doubt they thought I was just being a pig and indulging a spoiled child, and I just felt like telling them "a human being came hurdling out my hoo-hoo 5 days ago, cut me some slack." I STILL had to get groceries, it's not like life stops when mini-humans fall out of your bodily openings.

I think the parking spaces and scooters are totally legit. If you feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck but still have to get things done, use what's availible to you.
I know what you mean. I used on of thoss skooters when I broke my leg a few years ago. Cast up to the top of my knee, couldn't really walk well so I used the mall skooter and man did I get some durty looks
June 10th, 2010, 04:32 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I Did use the electric scooter thingies at WalMart.
I had to use one of those with my last pregnancy at Costco. I was so embarrassed but I couldn't walk and this was because I was pregnant.

And I never used the handicap/expectant mother's parking spaces even though I did see a few men use them

My mom told me never do that or you might really need them one day.

June 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used them a few times when I was pg. I was HUGE at the end with the girls and had a tremendous amount of pressure on my cervix.

June 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
They sure do. Although I don't know what the fine is here. They don't worry about it for families of small kids, fathers with smaller children, that kind of thing. But if you have someone who is perfictly healthy and capable of walking, but they're just too lazy then they'll enforce it.
I doubt that they are enforcing it legally with a fine and points on your license in the same manner that they enforce the handicap parking spots. Handicap parking is an ADA requirement where there is no such rule for pregnancy spots. Also, there is no way to validate pregnancy in the early stages for such enforcement. It would be just opening themselves up for tons of issues.
June 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM
chlodoll
So true, I could park there at 5 weeks pregnant and no one would know I was expecting. I think the only person they could ever ticket would be a man by himself. And if they do enforce it the ticket wouldn't be going to the city, it would have to be private which means you don't really have to pay it.
June 10th, 2010, 07:29 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
well, I definitely agree with the above ladies. When I was so exhausted (and blood deprived) that I could barely get out of bed, I still had to feed my kids, which meant getting groceries, which meant going to the store. Just because someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean they should do it. Walking at five days PP isn't (typically) going to cause you any injury, but it still sucks.
June 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't recall seeing any around here and probably wouldn't have used them when I was pregnant anyway as I never felt the need.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 10th, 2010, 07:39 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I used them here but at the end of my pregnancy only when I thought the baby was going to fall out of my vagina at any given second.
June 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
The only place in my area that has them is the mall. WTB them at Walmart.
June 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM
chlodoll
They are really popular here. You see them in almost all parking lots!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search