Log In Sign Up

Babies at a baby shower?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #61  
June 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Ah, if it's a surprise that's a bit different. Maybe the hostess was just distracted by something when you were on the phone with her? Trying to be optimistic!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
June 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Ah, if it's a surprise that's a bit different. Maybe the hostess was just distracted by something when you were on the phone with her? Trying to be optimistic!

Maybe the girls was in the room mom was trying to play it cool??

as for mom throwing it.. my mom threw mine because ther person throwing mine called me 3 days before and asked if I minded it being a shower for me and her brothers wife. (I had never met her brother or his wife and I sure didn't know they were pregnant.) Now that I was offended by, but I would have done it.

Mom wouldn't stand for it and threw together a shower in 2 days.

hows that situation on the rude meter??
Reply With Quote
  #63  
June 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
What's wrong with your mom throwing a baby shower?

I have no social etiquette apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
June 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine-MA View Post
True, but the shower was a surprise, so I couldn't ask my friend. I can maybe see not wanting the baby at the restaurant? But my plan was to wear her, and I know she'd be fine for the 2 hours (okay, I can't be absolutely sure of course). Decisions made now, now I'll just try not to let it affect my attitude there! And hope ( in a way) there aren't other infants LOL

I"m sorry!! I think if I were you I would just bring my daughter! You know your bff and you know that she would love to see your daughter so who cares what the mom says?!? I hope it goes okay!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
June 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,258
I don't think anyone is entitled to any kind of shower, so if people are bringing you presents or giving you money, and they bring a child or baby with them, then you need to get over it. I think people are lucky they get showers at all.
__________________
Lauren




Reply With Quote
  #66  
June 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I'm only on Pg 1- but if babies detract from the attention of a shower, then I hope if someone does make the mistake of giving me a shower, that they bring a truckload of babies because I hate being the center of attention at functions like that

How "Western Culture" of us to proclaim that we can only celebrate one miracle of life at a time, only one person and only one life event at a time, instead of a community understanding.

Can you imagine this happening 150 years ago!
Can you really imagine women sitting around saying to each other "hey despite that war that is raging on, and despite the fact that we women all pull together in times of need, in food rationing and political upheaval, today Mary Sue has decided to forget all that and make this entire day all about her upcoming baby. So please, abandon your children at home and come lavish attention on one person at a time".
I laugh imagining invites going out on the prarie, around the American Indian reservation or a host of other circumstances.

My OH my how we women have "advanced"
LOL! I absolutely detest the mentality of some pregnant women, like she's the only woman to ever carry a child inside of her and life as we know it must stop. Seriously, its a baby; its been done. Get over yourself and be grateful for the fact that others choose to share in your joy.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
June 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stavanger, NORWAY.
Posts: 6,428
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I don't think it is rude unless it specifically says "adults only".
__________________
Anniken - 20 years - Mama to 4 year old -student - Norway


Reply With Quote
  #68  
June 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
LOL! I absolutely detest the mentality of some pregnant women, like she's the only woman to ever carry a child inside of her and life as we know it must stop. Seriously, its a baby; its been done. Get over yourself and be grateful for the fact that others choose to share in your joy.
I agree.
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #69  
June 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
What's wrong with your mom throwing a baby shower?

I have no social etiquette apparently.
Personally I have no issue with it, but I had always heard the etiquette was that the mom shouldn't throw it because then it looks like she's asking for gifts? I don't see how it's any different if a friend/sister throws it.

In hindsight, I should have just responded yes, plus child on the evite...but I didn't even notice that option before I called!

It would have been fine if she was there. I pretty much sat in the back with a group of other girls. Even if she had been fussy I could have just walked her a little bit out of the function room.

Her mom didn't really say anything to me. At one point before a lot of others got there she said "Are we missing someone? Did you bring Addison" and I just told her I had gotten a babysitter. A couple other people said "No baby?!" like they were disappointed (guest of honor included). But oh well! It was a nice shower and my baby is safe in bed now
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #70  
June 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine-MA View Post
Personally I have no issue with it, but I had always heard the etiquette was that the mom shouldn't throw it because then it looks like she's asking for gifts? I don't see how it's any different if a friend/sister throws it.

In hindsight, I should have just responded yes, plus child on the evite...but I didn't even notice that option before I called!

It would have been fine if she was there. I pretty much sat in the back with a group of other girls. Even if she had been fussy I could have just walked her a little bit out of the function room.

Her mom didn't really say anything to me. At one point before a lot of others got there she said "Are we missing someone? Did you bring Addison" and I just told her I had gotten a babysitter. A couple other people said "No baby?!" like they were disappointed (guest of honor included). But oh well! It was a nice shower and my baby is safe in bed now

Actually thats the mom as in the expectent mother I can see how that would look tacky
Reply With Quote
  #71  
June 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
Actually thats the mom as in the expectent mother I can see how that would look tacky
You know....I was thinking BRIDAL shower etiquette. I had always heard the mother or sister of the bride shouldn't throw a bridal shower.

Way to bring confusion to my first thread here haha
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #72  
June 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Confusion is unforgivable. You are BANISHED.

Kidding!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
June 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
I went to a baby shower yesterday and no little ones were invited and to be honest, I wished that I had a tiny baby so that I could have declined. It was a shower thrown by the grandmother-to-be and it was fancy appetizers, fancy lunch, & desert with champagne and wine (the mom-to-be and I both had water). Don't get me wrong, the food was delicious but everything was so fancy(plates, sliverware, glassware) and gram-to-be was enjoying being the center of attention while her dd acted like she was hoping a hole would open in the floor and swallow her. Definitely not what I'm used to so I was VERY uncomfortable and couldn't wait to get home.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0