Children's Princess Books

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Thoughts on these types of books? Spin off from Richard Scarry thread. I'm curious to see Courtney's armor and swords!

June 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had some when Kacie went through her princess stage and I didn't have a problem with them. It was much more fun than her older sisters Barney phase.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think people read too into the stories and get really flustered and upset over nothing. They're just books.

June 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I loved princess stories when I was child and didn't grow up thinking I needed a man to save me etc. I think they are just stories and if my kids like them I'm not going to tell them they can't read/watch them.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think people read too much into it. I do have problems with the typical princess stories. But my girls, especially Sofia, still like princesses! I DO LOVE The Paperbag Princess and Princess Smartypants. 2 not typical princess stories I think those balanced with others is fine.

June 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
A steady diet of only one subject isn't really healthy. We had a lot of other books that the kids liked as well. Some by Eric Carle, Jan Brett, Mary Englbreit(sp), David Shannon (No, David! & How I Became A Pirate), etc... We had tons of books that we just wore out. My favorite was Bunny, My Honey and I can't remember the author but I loved the artwork. We did borrow Paperbag Princess from the library and although it was cute, dd wasn't overly excited by it. I liked it better than she did.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; June 10th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
June 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally get annoyed with the whole princess thing. Kids dressing up occasionally is one thing, but when they become so obsessed with it that it affects their attitude/behavior, I can't stand it.

Our neighbors have friends who have 3 boys and 1 girl. They barely acknowledge the boys (2 of them have special needs too) and adore the daughter, call her a princes, treat her like she can do no wrong, etc. She is NOT a princess, she is a BRAT!
June 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Veteran
I think people get way too wound up over the whole princess stories thing.

June 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM
We have Bear Snores On too and Jacob really likes If You Take A Mouse To School. We used to have the other Mouse, Moose, Pig, books but we wore them out. The Napping House is fun too. I love children's books.

June 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Oh lord, I have Bear Snores On memorized.

"An itty-bitty mouse, pitter-pat tip-toe, creep-crawls in the cave from the fluff-cold snow..."

June 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM
chlodoll
I have two boys so I am not to well versed on princess books, although we do have some of the Disney stories. I think as long as you keep things varied its fine. My niece does have one book that talks and it says crap like I cant wait to be married. I think thats a bit ridiculous lol
June 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm.. not a fan really. I'm not anti-princess, but if we had to choose a princess book over another book, I would try to pick the other book.

I just don't like how the girls are all portrayed as damsels in distress. Where are the president girls? The police officer girls? That's all.

I do hate it when girls wear clothes that say "princess" on them. :/
June 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I do have to say that I would much rather buy/read books that are not about tv/movies. Dora, Diego, Barbie, Wiggles, Disney anything, and especially Winnie The Pooh. We have some and I've read them to the kids but I like the others better. Like Harry the Dirty Dog and I do love the Llama Llama books.

June 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
chlodoll
Llama Llama ones are cute. I have to read all the words just right or DS gets on me since he has them memorized! The most books we have are Berenstain Bears. Its a show now but it was books first. We have almost the whole collection. We have lots of Franklin and some Arthur as well but again they were books first.
June 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I love Harry the Dirty Dog! At the moment my girls are more interested in stories about animlas than people. I wont completely ban princess books but I wont encourage them either.
June 12th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Veteran
Disney = Princess is a weird argument. Not all princess books have Disney movies attatched and not all Disney movies are about princesses.

Beauty And The Beast is kind of an opposite one, the woman comes along and saves the cursed male.

June 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved princess books and movies as a child, and I still love them and adore that now I'm reading them to my kids (or watching them with them).
June 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
chlodoll
Beauty and the Beast does have Belle save the man but I don't know if it promotes a good way. Kind of like if a guy is a real jerk you can change him with persistence? lol We know this isn't true.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search