Stuffed Animals

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Since we're on animals, what about stuffed animals? Yes or no to stuffed animals in a baby's crib while he/she is in it? Or does the size of the stuffed animal matter? Are smaller sized stuffed animals safer to have in cribs than larger sized stuffed animals?

June 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
I got this bear for my son when I was in the military. He has slept with it forever. My daughter has now taken possession of it ( son is away and doesn't know). It's almost a foot tall and she has been sleeping with it, kissing it, and carrying it around. I don't know what I am going to tell my son It's name is Hero.

June 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
My kids don't get anything in their crib until they're 2 (no toys, no blankets, no bumpers, no nothing), after age 2 they may have a couple stuffed animals.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
June 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
My kids don't get anything in their crib until they're 2 (no toys, no blankets, no bumpers, no nothing), after age 2 they may have a couple stuffed animals.
I'm this except I do give my kids a blanket. Nothing else though, no toys, nothing.
June 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm not opposed to it, but I've never looked into the safety aspect.
June 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
my girls have always had toys/stuffed toys in their cribs/beds… well not when they were newborns in the bassinet, so I say from 4 months+ they did.

June 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Well, I do not like stuffed animals. They just take up space. They collect dirt and germs. The add to clutter - I HATE CLUTTER. We would not have a single stuffed animal in our home except for my MIL thinks the kids never have enough and DH won't let me flat out throw them away or take them to Good Will. So, yes, Elias is 16 months old and he has a teddy bear in his crib. He usually also has a couple books in there. I'm not worried about it.
June 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
chlodoll
No stuffed animals. They are just dust magnets. I hate when people buy them for my kids! Do kids actually play with stuffed animals?
June 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I've never seen a kid play with a stuffed animal. My kids won't.
June 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
No stuffed animals. They are just dust magnets. I hate when people buy them for my kids! Do kids actually play with stuffed animals?
Both of my girls play with stuffed animals like crazy, they bring them to show and tell, they have tea parties with them etc.

As for the crib....well I mostly co-slept with my girls, but I didn't put anything but blankets in the crib when they would nap etc.
June 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My kids play with stuffed animals. But I think the point of putting them in a crib, like for bed time, is more as a Lovey than as a toy. It's something soft to cuddle and hold. DS has a blanket that he won't sleep without, but so far DD is only attached to her bottle.
June 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing in the crib until one year. At a year I allowed Avery to have a crocheted blanket, and she does sleep with a nuunuu now, or what ever those headed blankets are called.

June 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I'm not sure about the safety aspects either, but Kaley started with 1 small baby doll and 1 crocheted blanket when she was about 6 months old. Now she is almost 3 and has a collection of 2 babies and 4 blankets. She will NOT sleep if she is missing ANY of them.

June 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Nothing ever stayed in the crib long enough He would throw everything out!!

He is a full size bed now and he falls alseep on there with all kinds of toys on the bed with him..lol

June 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
My 16 month old does, lol. She carries them around and kisses them and calls them her 'babies'.

June 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
My kids have so many stuffed animals that I need to be rescued!

There is no convincing them to give them up even though they just sit there like a lump of... teddy. If someone pops a seam though, life is over and I'm handed some fuzzy creature along with a needle & thread.

I don't fight it.. I just live with it

June 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mackenzie started sleeping with her stuffed monkey at about a year old.

June 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My girls didn't have ANYTHING in the crib until they were about 20 months. Then they had 1 stuffed animal. I'm super paranoid though.

June 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I'm not stating an opinion either way on the following info. I just thought I'd post it since some people stated that they didn't know of any issues with having stuffed animals in a baby's crib.

Quote:
Baby Crib Safety

Once you choose your baby's crib, put it together correctly and use it properly to make sure your baby is safe, including ensuring that:

# The crib doesn't have any cutouts in the headboard or footboard, in which the baby's head could get trapped, and doesn't have decorative knobs or cornerposts that are higher than 1/16 inch.
# The crib is not near a window or window blind cords.
# You do not put any stuffed toys, stuffed animals, pillows, heavy blankets, or other soft bedding in the crib with your baby, which can all be suffocation hazards.
# You don't let a blanket cover your baby's face or head. A thin blanket tucked under one end of the mattress, with your baby's feet near that end, and letting the blanket only reach up to your baby's chest is safer. Even safer though is not using a blanket at all and just dressing him in a sleeper.
Baby Cribs

And another:
Quote:
Stuffed Animals
Choose stuffed toys that do not have small hard parts, like buttons, eyes, or wheels, which could come off the toy when your baby chews on it. A variety of stuffed animals are available that are made specifically for your baby. These have sewn eyes and are created out of hygienic materials. Remove all stuffed toys from the crib when your child is sleeping. Once your child is old enough to roll over on their own you can leave one stuffed animal in the crib. For children over one year of age, one or two stuffed toys are acceptable. Try to avoid putting piles of stuffed animals in your baby's crib. Older babies can use piles of toys as steppingstones to climb out of the crib.

Follow these tips to give your baby a happy and safe crib playtime. Pick safe toys that will stimulate your child's senses, always observe your baby when playing in the crib, and remove toys after your baby
How to choose toys for a baby's crib

Last one, I promise! Don't wanna be accused of making another mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote:
Because of the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) and death from suffocation, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says not to let your baby sleep with any soft objects until he's 12 months old. This includes stuffed animals, dolls, blankets, quilts, and other bedding. Many experts suggest waiting until your baby is at least 2 years old to let him sleep with a pillow.

Though it may seem unlikely, there is a chance that a doll or stuffed toy could cover your baby's face and suffocate him. "Some 2,000 babies die each year from suffocation," says Mark A. Brandenburg, a practicing emergency physician at the Trauma Emergency Center (TEC) of St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and author of Child Safe: A Practical Guide for Preventing Childhood Injuries. The safest option is to keep your baby's crib free of clutter, including stuffed toys.

After his first birthday, your baby's risk of dying from SIDS goes down significantly. The likelihood of suffocation also diminishes because most 12-month-olds are able to roll over, sit up, and move objects away from their faces.
When can my baby sleep with a stuffed animal or doll? | BabyCenter

Last edited by BonitaAppleBomb; June 10th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
June 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
No crib in this family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search