commenting on children's physical appearance

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
When in a public location with other parents you don't know very well (such as a park or a playground), is it or is it not acceptable to casually make a comment about their children's physical appearance? I'm talking about totally neutral comments like "Wow, he's so big!" or "She's so tiny!" or even "His hair is so curly!" or "Look how many teeth she has!" Elsewhere on this board and IRL, I've seen women grow quite upset over being on the receiving end of comments such as this. Personally, it doesn't bother me if someone tells me that my son is tall (I know he is), but I'm never sure whether or not it's okay to make comments such as this to other moms, because I think there are many women who find them offensive. What are your thoughts?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
If someone finds it offensive that I tell them their kid is tall or whatever, they have issues. People are always commenting on my kids and it doesn't bother me. It's not a personal attack, just mere observation.
June 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I know people in real life that comment on how "unattractive" some kids are by using words such as "ugly child or ugly baby". I would NEVER in a million years comment on any child in such a negative way and it bothers me to hear other people talk negatively about the outer appearance of kids. Maybe it's just one of my personal pet peeves.

June 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
I know people in real life that comment on how "unattractive" some kids are by using words such as "ugly child or ugly baby". I would NEVER in a million years comment on any child in such a negative way and it bothers me to hear other people talk negatively about the outer appearance of kids. Maybe it's just one of my personal pet peeves.
Not to their parents I hope?
June 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I think it's all in how it's said. I'm not automatically offended if someone says that Luke is big for his age, or Lauren is petite, but if their tone suggests that by "big for his age" they really meant "dang, your kid is a porker" then I would be kind of upset. I can't imagine how anyone would be offended at someone saying their child's hair is curly or that they have teeth, but I can see weight or size being a potential offense.

So I don't normally mention size or weight, but I will mention eye color or hair color, etc. Strangers stop me all the time in the grocery store to tell me how blue my kids' eyes are.
June 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Only time I got mad was when my pretty fat (lol) baby was asked if his Mummy fed him steak. I would never comment on a kid being 'too skinny' or 'too fat' because babies come in all shapes and sizes and it doesn't mean they'll be obese or anorexic when they're older.
June 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it okay as long as it's not a derogotory comment like...wow he's fat, or ugly, or he's too skinny etc (I think the tone may do the same thing). My daughter is very big for her age, wears size 10 and is just 5 (not even in school till the fall) so I get comments all the time, since she is bi-racial I also get the more interesting comments like "is she adopted?" which I hate when someone asks, especially when they are with me.
June 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
chlodoll
I guess we probably shouldn't comment at all on how kids look although I know I am guilty. My 4 year old is short for his age and it really upsets him when people comment on how small he is.
June 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not think it is ever appropriate or nice to make comments about a kids physical appearance without knowing them first, at least not in their or their parent's presence. I mean we all observe people and make observations all the time but there is no need to point things out to the intended party. Here's an example as to why I've come to this belief:

I had a photographer one time at a birthday party comment on how "poor" my daughter looked because she had holes in her knees. The photographer did not know that she was mine. I calmly smiled and left it alone but later on said something about using tact when speaking with someone whom you've never met because you never know who that person may very well be.

June 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
I guess we probably shouldn't comment at all on how kids look although I know I am guilty. My 4 year old is short for his age and it really upsets him when people comment on how small he is.
Why shouldn't we tell a child they have pretty eyes or lovely curls?
June 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
The only one that's ever bothered me is, "she's so cute!" I am constantly told how big he is for his age, which is weird because he's on the small side of average.

June 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dayna~ View Post
Not to their parents I hope?
No, not to their faces.

June 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
KimberlyD0
as long as its not said in a malice way then I don't see any issue with it.

DD#1 I always hear how big she is
DD#2 how small
its not insulting to me because they are and I would say the same.
June 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I might be emotionally sensitive to this topic, but hot the **** (that is my new catch phrase, please feel free to use it lol), it is not necessary to make commentaries about something that is obvious. If a kid is tall, the parent KNOWS a kid is tall. I KNOW my kid's skin is red. Or maybe I'm just one who is not partial to idle conversation, I dunno.
June 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I might be emotionally sensitive to this topic, but hot the **** (that is my new catch phrase, please feel free to use it lol), it is not necessary to make commentaries about something that is obvious. If a kid is tall, the parent KNOWS a kid is tall. I KNOW my kid's skin is red. Or maybe I'm just one who is not partial to idle conversation, I dunno.
I remember a previous post about your daughter. No one needs to comment on her skin, that's terrible.
June 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm kind of tired of hearing that my kids have blue eyes, but it's not the same as me being offended by it. I usually just say "yep, they do!" because what else do you say?

I always want to say something snarky..

"Wow, she has blue eyes!"
"REALLY?! OH MY GOSH! They were brown just yesterday!!"
June 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
I know what you mean. I get coments about DD#2's leg markings and how she walks funny because of the LLD. I don't see that as the same as a casual "she's such a big/small girl" I suppose because, like you I am emotionally sensitive to it as well.

I'll often hear "she looks just like you" "she looks like your DH" or with DD#2 "wow, where did she get the blond hair and blue eyes" (DH and I have brown, and so does DD#1) They just don't bother me in the same way.
June 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a problem with it if it's not done to be rude...

When Tarin was a baby I used to hear all the time how he was so chubby, which that didn't offend me b/c he was a chubby baby. Now one time someone did make rude comment about him being fat, that did tick me off, he was a big baby but not fat by any means, just chubby...

I have made comments about other people's kids before but nothing rude... Things such as pretty curls, cute dimples, etc...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

June 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
I am sitting here trying to figure out the proper swear word for that catch phrase. Help me out. Give me different scenarios where I can use this, because it sounds super fun to say.

I need something to replace "that's what she said."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search