Sailing around the world

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Exactly.
The decision that this girl and her family made is putting others at risk (ie. the people that have to save her, and costing outside companies/government tons of money).
Further, she is taking a different and more dangerous route than her brother or the other person did. I've also heard that the "experience" she had in rough waters was nothing like one would encounter on the Indian Ocean.
I can see letting her go if there was another boat with her, but completely by yourself with the nearest boat 40 hours away is ridiculous.
All of those things you listed have nothing to do with age. The risk is sailing solo and the costs would be incurred rescuing her whether she was 16 or 64. The point of sailing independently around the world would be lost if another boat trailed her.
I applaud her parents for giving her this opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I think the point she was making with the comparison was that we let 17-year-olds make a life or death decision to join the military, and then turn around and say this girl isn't old enough to make this decision, when she's just a few months away from being able to decide to join the military. At 17, they are either capable of making a decision of that nature or they aren't.
Thanks Kes, that was my point exactly. No one has refuted it.
June 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Just an update:
Quote:
"She's in the boat. The boat's seaworthy. It's not taking on water, and she's equipped for the conditions down there, we believe," said Mick Kinley of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.

"She's been dismasted. The rigging's over the side and in the water," Kinley told reporters Friday.

Sunderland's parents, Laurence and Marianne, wrote on her blog: "We have just heard from the Australian Search and Rescue. The plane arrived on the scene moments ago. Wild Eyes is upright but her rigging is down. The weather conditions are abating. Radio communication was made and Abby reports that she is fine!
Australian authorities contact missing American teen sailor - CNN.com
June 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I wonder if she's going to repair the boat and keep going, or if she's going to stop. I also wonder if it's repairable damage.. I know nothing about boats beyond "they float."
June 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
I think the point she was making with the comparison was that we let 17-year-olds make a life or death decision to join the military, and then turn around and say this girl isn't old enough to make this decision, when she's just a few months away from being able to decide to join the military. At 17, they are either capable of making a decision of that nature or they aren't.

This would be true even if she was 40. So are you suggesting that NO ONE should take on this adventure?
I'd say some things are sillier than others. I mean, if a 40 year old person who is strong and has prepared his/her entire life for it presents much less of a risk for needing those services. Sure, we can never totally avoid them, crap happens. But, on the risk meter, I'd say she was pretty high. Which to me says she shouldn't have been doing it. Further, I'd really say that no one regardless of age should be doing it totally alone.

June 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm not sure how long she's been out there, but this is the first time she's needed to be rescued, and the same problem could have happened to someone who was 40 and more experienced. I don't really think she's taking drastically more risk than someone significantly older.
June 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad they found her and that she's ok.

To answer the OP, no, I would not let my 16 year old sail around the world solo. As soon as they turn 18, have at it, but not until then.

Lisa

June 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure how long she's been out there, but this is the first time she's needed to be rescued, and the same problem could have happened to someone who was 40 and more experienced. I don't really think she's taking drastically more risk than someone significantly older.
She's already had to stop for repairs, she is taking a more dangerous route than the others who have done the journey, the time of year it is puts her at a greater risk (apparently the Indian ocean is even more dangerous at this time), and I've heard that she had very little true ocean experience (I'll try to find a link). The girl couldn't weigh more than 130 lbs. how on earth could someone that small navigate a boat in 30 foot waves? I'd say it'd be much more difficult for her than it would be a for a full grown man or women who have years of experience in rough waters.

June 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
She's already had to stop for repairs, she is taking a more dangerous route than the others who have done the journey, the time of year it is puts her at a greater risk (apparently the Indian ocean is even more dangerous at this time), and I've heard that she had very little true ocean experience (I'll try to find a link). The girl couldn't weigh more than 130 lbs. how on earth could someone that small navigate a boat in 30 foot waves? I'd say it'd be much more difficult for her than it would be a for a full grown man or women who have years of experience in rough waters.
From a sailing standpoint, her reason for being stranded had nothing to do with age, experience or the route she took. It had to do with malfunctioning equipment. A 50 year old sailor would be in the same position.
June 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I would never let my children do this. I am going to agree with all the experienced sailors who have had a lifetime of experience that I have read saying that her age, combined with her course and the time of year she was leaving was very foolish. I actually think it is pretty irresponsible for her parents to even allow her to do this. It seems they are putting fame seeking above their childrens' safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
It's also not just the dangers of the actual sailing that would worry me. I'd worry about her having to stop in some strange country all alone where she doesn't know the language or anything. It would be very easy for someone to take advantage of her in that situation. Not to mention the trouble that there has been with pirates lately. Her story has been heard world wide. How do her parents know that none of those men aren't searching her out? I'd be afraid she'd be attacked and/or raped. It's just not a risk I'd be willing to let my child take at that age.
This crossed my mind too, especially considering she was blogging frequently and posting her exact whereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eashley View Post
From a sailing standpoint, her reason for being stranded had nothing to do with age, experience or the route she took. It had to do with malfunctioning equipment. A 50 year old sailor would be in the same position.
She is actually blaming it on the storm, not malfunctioning equipment. Who is to say that a more experienced sailor couldn't have handled the boat in the storm better?
June 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
No, I would never let my children do this. I am going to agree with all the experienced sailors who have had a lifetime of experience that I have read saying that her age, combined with her course and the time of year she was leaving was very foolish. I actually think it is pretty irresponsible for her parents to even allow her to do this. It seems they are putting fame seeking above their childrens' safety.

This crossed my mind too, especially considering she was blogging frequently and posting her exact whereabouts.

She is actually blaming it on the storm, not malfunctioning equipment. Who is to say that a more experienced sailor couldn't have handled the boat in the storm better?
Yeah, she is blaming it on the storm . Didn't hear anything about the equipment malfunctioning, but rather that the waves were too much for her to handle the mast. I also find it incredibly weird that her dad will not give details of what happened. I think I read somewhere that he doesn't want to report that information. Why in the heck not? Tons of money was used to go rescue this girl and people risked their lives (the captain of the boat even fell in), I think people deserve answers. When people crash planes, wreck cars, etc. they are held accountable if they caused the accident, if not, everyone at least knows the cause. Why is she any different?

She also said this: As for age, since when does age create gigantic waves and storms?
She just isn't getting it. It's not the number in regards to age it's wisdom, strength, ability, that comes with it.

Last edited by *Leslie*; June 13th, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
June 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Yeah, she is blaming it on the storm . Didn't hear anything about the equipment malfunctioning, but rather that the waves were too much for her to handle the mast. I also find it incredibly weird that her dad will not give details of what happened. I think I read somewhere that he doesn't want to report that information. Why in the heck not? Tons of money was used to go rescue this girl and people risked their lives (the captain of the boat even fell in), I think people deserve answers. When people crash planes, wreck cars, etc. they are held accountable if they caused the accident, if not, everyone at least knows the cause. Why is she any different?

She also said this: As for age, since when does age create gigantic waves and storms?
She just isn't getting it. It's not the number in regards to age it's wisdom, strength, ability, that comes with it.
I know you suggested that she is not being held accountable and implying it's partly because of her age. I think you're placing high expectations on her and her family here because of her age.

I live by the Rocky Mtns. We have skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, rock climbing and even scuba diving in our mountains and mountain lakes. (And everything in between.) We have accidents, avalanches, bear/animal attacks and deaths ALL THE TIME with non-experienced and experienced recreational adventurers. Lots of people, money, resources and time goes into these rescues and more. It's just part of the legalities and nature of the game that we can't have all the answers we wish we could whether it's a school bus of teens or a group of hunters/snowmobilers that get into these situations. I guess overall, I do disagree that people who caused accidents are held accountable because I don't see that. Many accidents are written off through insurance.

I know many of you feel that the parents are being irresponsible here and especially pointing out her lack of sailing experience.. I just have to disagree. I grew up on a lake with boats. I wasn't in Navy League but I was in Sea Cadets. We spent weekends sailing, summer in sailing school and I didn't even have parents that owned a sail boat like this girl does. Just because she is 16 doesn't mean she doesn't have the knowledge and ability to carry herself at sea. ANY parent would NOT send their little girl on a round-the-world sailing adventure if they didn't have the confidence she could do this. I actually applaud her parents for having the strength and courage to let her do this because as much I hope I could, and as much as I would want my own dd to achieve a goal like this, I just know push come to shove, I don't know if I would have that strength and courage to let her go. (I just hope I do.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search