Female sports and lack of airtime

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2010, 12:11 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
http://www.usc.edu/dept/cfr/html/documents/tvsports.pdf
Quote:
Last week, a study released by the University of Southern California entitled, “Gender in Televised Sports: News and Highlight Shows, 1989-2009” found that sports highlight shows give women’s sports barely 1 ½ percent of airtime. That means in an hour long show, female athletes get less than 1 minute of coverage. According to the study, before the inaction of Title IX in 1972, 294,000 high school girls played a varsity sport. In 2009 that number has increased exponentially to 3.1 million girls, and likewise, women’s sports and the number of female athletes across the country are rapidly growing. So why haven’t we seen a growth of stories on women’s sports? Something must be done.
ESPN argues that they choose what sports, athletes and events to cover according to the favorites among their fan-base. But how would their audience know if they are fans of women’s sports if they are never exposed to them?
Less Than 60 Seconds of Airtime for Women’s Sports – WMC Blog

Do you believe anything can be done to change this?
June 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
I can't think of a single woman's sport, besides tennis, that I would want to see a woman in. Oh I take that back, I do love to see target shooting/archery when the Olympics are on.

These stations are out to make money and time after time, women's sports do not have the draw that men's sports have.

June 11th, 2010, 07:24 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Yeah, I think it is all about the money and it makes sense. The fact is that not nearly as many people buy tickets to go and watch womens' sports in person thus it follows that not nearly as many people would watch them on TV. Women's sports don't sell like men's do and that is the bottom line.
June 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I just have hope that it will keep improving. At least there *are* women's professional sports now. In soccer, the women tend to be a bit more popular than the men. Most people know who Mia Hamm is but can't name a player on the U.S. men's team. And wasn't women's beach volleyball one of the most-watched events of the summer Olympics? We just need to give it some time. Men's sports have been around much longer.

June 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think there are women that enjoy sports and would love to watch a sport with a woman in it.. but I'm not one of them.

I like football if it's on, baseball if it's on, basketball during the finals, but woman/man/alien, I still barely like them, and only by marriage.
June 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
chlodoll
Only in the US do you care about female soccer. Everywhere else in the world is all about pro male soccer. Everyone is world cup crazy here right now!

Women Olympic sports are usually well received, its just leagues that people are not interested in. DH loves basketball and would watch every NBA game if I let him lol But he has no interest in watching the WNBA because they are not to the same caliber as men.
June 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
Only in the US do you care about female soccer. Everywhere else in the world is all about pro male soccer. Everyone is world cup crazy here right now!
Haha, what? Other countries care about women's soccer, much more than people do in the U.S. Just because everyone is excited for the Men's World Cup right now doesn't mean people won't also be excited next year for the Women's World Cup. Women's soccer is HUGE in Germany.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search