Log In Sign Up

Benefit Concert PLanned for lesbian teen


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
June 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm not ditching the conversation, we're about to hit the road and head home so I'll be off for a while. Sorry it looks like I did a post-n-run!
  #22  
June 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
For once I completely and totally agree with Jess here. I was reading some of these responses and my eyes were practically falling out of my head.

Anyone can host a benefit concert for any reason they want. I could hold a "Help Susan Afford a Cleaning Lady" benefit if I wanted to!

The best thing about these benefits is that if you don't agree or don't want to support it then you don't go and you don't contribute your money towards it.

Who cares if this girl ends up profiting from the discrimination she faced? If people want to donate money to her for college then so be it.

If you feel there are other people who deserve the money more then by all means go organize a benefit for that cause.
__________________





  #23  
June 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Hahahaha. C'mon, now. You agree with me all the time as long as we're not talking about the media.

Rebecca, I was thinking more along the lines of raising awareness of bullying and violence within the Hawaiian school system.
__________________





  #24  
June 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Team Jess. The only ones giving the girl money.. are the ones who choose to give her money. If you (general) think you deserve something for being discriminated against, hold a benefit for yourself. I do not understand why she is having her college paid for, but OH WELL! I dont understand why a lot of people do a lot of things, but they are within their rights to do it.
These are INDIVIDUALS giving THEIR money. No one is being forced to give. No one is being tricked into giving.. as I assume anyone attending would know the story. The government has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I'll be ****** if someone thinks they can tell me what should be important TO ME.. I'll be ****** if someone tries to tell me which cause I can give my money to.
If I want to hold a Save the Worms Benefit in which all proceeds go to my potting soil fund.. I'm free to do so... and you are free to not give me your money.

Should the benefit be held? (If someone wants to hold a benefit, yes.. it should be held) Is the cause worthy? (It is to those attending) Does she deserve a benefit? (Again, she does according to those attending) Should all those who are discriminated against get their own benefit? (If someone wants to hold one for each person, sure) Should people be giving their money? (IF THEY CHOOSE TO)
What is there to debate?
  #25  
June 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Maybe I said something wrong in my first posts but I don't think the benefit is inherintly *wrong.* I just don't understand how her troubles have turned into such a frenzie. My point isn't that I think I deserve a benefit, I was trying to say that I made it through all that without one.
But whatever, I'm not wording it the right way so I'm going to stop digging my hole.
I really am going now.
  #26  
June 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: G.R.I.T.S.~Girl Raised In The South
Posts: 10,125
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
People can do as they please with their money, time, and heart strings. If they want to give money to her, attend a concert for her benefit, and feel sorry for her that is their prerogative-their wallet, their time and their heart strings.

We all have things that we feel passionately for, so we support and fund those things, even when other people think it's crazy. So I say more power to her.
__________________

  #27  
June 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,524
Constance has gotten so much attention since March.She was given a 2010 Lexxus from I am assuming Ellen DeGeneres but she only had it 2 or 3 days because she withdrew from school here and went to another school over 4 hours away so she wouldn't have to deal with her peers......
She also got a scholarship from some company but I don't know if they took it away or not....
And NOW she is getting money towards college from this "benefit"............
AND she is sure to get a settlement from the Ita. Co. School Board ...........

It's all about the money and attention..........Plain and Simple..........
__________________

  #28  
June 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
Constance has gotten so much attention since March.She was given a 2010 Lexxus from I am assuming Ellen DeGeneres but she only had it 2 or 3 days because she withdrew from school here and went to another school over 4 hours away so she wouldn't have to deal with her peers......
She also got a scholarship from some company but I don't know if they took it away or not....
And NOW she is getting money towards college from this "benefit"............
AND she is sure to get a settlement from the Ita. Co. School Board ...........

It's all about the money and attention..........Plain and Simple..........
Money and attention that they (the people who are giving it).. CHOOSE TO GIVE. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Undomesticated Housewife; June 11th, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: To clarify
  #29  
June 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,524
I always thought a benefit was for people that actually NEED help.
Such as those with cancer or other serious medical issues,hurricane and other natural disaster victims and such.....

Why don't these celebs hold a benefit for the gulf coast?Now THATS a good reason to have a benefit.......
__________________

  #31  
June 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Says who...? I've heard of people throwing benefits to raise money for a boob job. All "benefit" means is that the profit goes toward something specific.

I am seriously disturbed by some of the responses in this thread. Because the beneficiary is a lesbian teen, this concert is regarded with animosity, or at the very least, apathy. No one would blink an eye if this was a sports team organizing a concert to raise money to travel to a tournament. No one sneers at Girl Scouts selling cookies to raise money for their troops. It's the exact.same.thing. Someone wants to contribute to her college fund and raise money for the ACLU. Why is that a big deal?

If the concert were for one of the disabled students who was excluded, I really REALLY doubt these type of comments would be made. We don't get to dictate how people donate their time and money.
BIG FAT DITTO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
Constance has gotten so much attention since March.She was given a 2010 Lexxus from I am assuming Ellen DeGeneres but she only had it 2 or 3 days because she withdrew from school here and went to another school over 4 hours away so she wouldn't have to deal with her peers......
She also got a scholarship from some company but I don't know if they took it away or not....
And NOW she is getting money towards college from this "benefit"............
AND she is sure to get a settlement from the Ita. Co. School Board ...........

It's all about the money and attention..........Plain and Simple..........
That's your opinion, not fact. Honestly, you say that you are sick of hearing about it, but you keep reading, thinking, and debating about it. If you're tired of it, ignore it. No one is forcing anyone to donate time or money to the concert. If you don't like the cause, don't donate.


Lisa
__________________


  #32  
June 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
I think she deserves whatever people want to do for her. She put herself out there to be judged at ridiculed. That is a pretty big deal for a teenager when life as a teen is already difficult. People recognize that awareness of this cause is important if we ever want to move forward in this society.

I don't understand how people are mad about a benefit for someone. Sounds like jealousy.

The Gulf Coast will get a benefit and I am sure there won't be anyone that says, "Well, I gave Constance my money so I can't help the coast." There is plenty of charity and good will to go around.
__________________

















  #34  
June 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,524
I have been trying to ignore it but we had protesting going on in our town on the day of graduation(when she wasn't even here anymore) and now in one of the local papers this story about the "benefit" for her.

Shouldn't ALL kids in high school get all the media attention for being discriminated against????

There will always be discrimination in this world.And not just because of your lifestyle either.....Race,sex,popular,unpopular,pretty,ugly. .................

The list goes on and on.....

When Katrina hit,who got all the media attention????New Orleans.
The MS guld coast was wiped out!

Has Nashville,TN gotten any help when they had serious flooding? Nope
__________________

  #35  
June 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
I have been trying to ignore it but we had protesting going on in our town on the day of graduation(when she wasn't even here anymore) and now in one of the local papers this story about the "benefit" for her.

Shouldn't ALL kids in high school get all the media attention for being discriminated against????

There will always be discrimination in this world.And not just because of your lifestyle either.....Race,sex,popular,unpopular,pretty,ugly. .................

The list goes on and on.....

No one is forcing you to read the story or post a topic about it on JM.


Lisa
__________________


  #36  
June 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 331
I find it kind of weird they are giving her some of the money for her college fund but kudos to them for at least donating it to something that can at least make a difference with the ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and AIDS Project.
I'm for almost anything that raises acceptance in the LGBT community being apart of it myself and having friends and family who are.
__________________


still waters run deep


How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response.
Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us
-Thrall


*FaceBook*
*Myspace*
  #37  
June 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
I have been trying to ignore it but we had protesting going on in our town on the day of graduation(when she wasn't even here anymore) and now in one of the local papers this story about the "benefit" for her.

Shouldn't ALL kids in high school get all the media attention for being discriminated against????

There will always be discrimination in this world.And not just because of your lifestyle either.....Race,sex,popular,unpopular,pretty,ugly. .................

The list goes on and on.....

When Katrina hit,who got all the media attention????New Orleans.
The MS guld coast was wiped out!

Has Nashville,TN gotten any help when they had serious flooding? Nope
Then go host benefits for those people YOU feel deserve them. Let everyone else host/attend benefits for those that THEY choose to host/attend benefits for. I dont get to choose what everyone else feels is a worthy cause, thankfully. You dont get to choose what anyone else feels is a worthy cause, thankfully. We choose for ourselves. We support causes and attend benefits that we choose to, THANKFULLY!
  #38  
June 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,617
On her facebook a few months ago she posted on how the school board was going to host another prom for her. No one showed up. It was her, her date, and no one. Meanwhile, the actual prom was held at a secret location and she was not told about it or invited. A big FAT **** that!!! More power to her. And seriously, what's the alternative to going to college, financial aid?

May LGBT rights constantly get the front page of the paper and constantly fight for their rights so one day.... we can ALL be treated equally.
__________________
A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the
present, and the hope and promise of the future.
  #39  
June 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
There will always be discrimination in this world.And not just because of your lifestyle either.....Race,sex,popular,unpopular,pretty,ugly. .................
None of those things get you banned from prom...well actually the race one does in a school in Mississippi. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
The list goes on and on.....

When Katrina hit,who got all the media attention????New Orleans.
The MS guld coast was wiped out!
Are you mad about that too? I saw coverage of it and I am sure they received FEMA money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
Has Nashville,TN gotten any help when they had serious flooding? Nope
What? They have gotten help, but I agree it wasn't as public as it should be. However the oil spill occurred just a few weeks later and it took some attention away...I can understand.
__________________


















Last edited by *Jillian*; June 11th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
  #40  
June 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,524
[quote=MrsSarah1;20500190]On her facebook a few months ago she posted on how the school board was going to host another prom for her. No one showed up. It was her, her date, and no one. Meanwhile, the actual prom was held at a secret location and she was not told about it or invited. A big FAT **** that!!! More power to her. And seriously, what's the alternative to going to college, financial aid?

quote]


All of the juniors and seniors did NOT attend the "real" prom.I'm sure not all of the kids were invited to the "real" prom,which btw was NOT school sponsored,it was sponsored by parents.I also heard there were other private functions that night as well.The "fake" prom was school sponsored and it was public knowledge.It was even in the newspaper.If the parents wanted to rent a place and have their own little thing,there is no law against that.I am sure that probably half of the kids didn't even go to any kind of prom or prom type event.

Constance got not only 1 prom,but 3 proms!
__________________

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0