Log In Sign Up

Benefit Concert PLanned for lesbian teen


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
June 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
[quote=yankeegirl88;20500434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
On her facebook a few months ago she posted on how the school board was going to host another prom for her. No one showed up. It was her, her date, and no one. Meanwhile, the actual prom was held at a secret location and she was not told about it or invited. A big FAT **** that!!! More power to her. And seriously, what's the alternative to going to college, financial aid?

quote]


All of the juniors and seniors did NOT attend the "real" prom.I'm sure not all of the kids were invited to the "real" prom,which btw was NOT school sponsored,it was sponsored by parents.I also heard there were other private functions that night as well.The "fake" prom was school sponsored and it was public knowledge.It was even in the newspaper.If the parents wanted to rent a place and have their own little thing,there is no law against that.I am sure that probably half of the kids didn't even go to any kind of prom or prom type event.

Constance got not only 1 prom,but 3 proms!
EXACTLY.
  #42  
June 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,509
She shouldn't be rewarded just because she claims to be a lesbian.

Maybe fat kids should be rewarded for being fat.
Maybe kids with behavior problems should be rewarded for rebelling.

Where do you draw the line?

Why not have a benefit for each and every person who is discriminated against in school?For whatever reason.
__________________

  #44  
June 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
[quote=yankeegirl88;20500434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSarah1 View Post
On her facebook a few months ago she posted on how the school board was going to host another prom for her. No one showed up. It was her, her date, and no one. Meanwhile, the actual prom was held at a secret location and she was not told about it or invited. A big FAT **** that!!! More power to her. And seriously, what's the alternative to going to college, financial aid?

quote]


All of the juniors and seniors did NOT attend the "real" prom.I'm sure not all of the kids were invited to the "real" prom,which btw was NOT school sponsored,it was sponsored by parents.I also heard there were other private functions that night as well.The "fake" prom was school sponsored and it was public knowledge.It was even in the newspaper.If the parents wanted to rent a place and have their own little thing,there is no law against that.I am sure that probably half of the kids didn't even go to any kind of prom or prom type event.

Constance got not only 1 prom,but 3 proms!

Your post is full of hearsay and opinions - can you back your assertions up?

You say that if parents want to rent a place and have their own little "thing," then that's ok - but it isn't ok for people to arrange their own little "thing" (concert) for Constance? That's a little hypocritical.



Lisa
__________________


  #46  
June 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,509
I'm not saying that we should hate her for that.

I give up.......
__________________

  #47  
June 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
She shouldn't be rewarded just because she claims to be a lesbian.

Maybe fat kids should be rewarded for being fat.
Maybe kids with behavior problems should be rewarded for rebelling.

Where do you draw the line?

Why not have a benefit for each and every person who is discriminated against in school?For whatever reason.

I've been trying not to be rude, but honestly each of your posts are reading more and more homophobic. Seriously, if you don't want to donate, dont. If you are tired of reading about it, don't. If you're tired of talking about it, don't. It's that simple. I get the feeling that you posted this topic looking for people to agree with you, and that just isn't going to happen.


Lisa
__________________


  #48  
June 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
She shouldn't be rewarded just because she claims to be a lesbian.

Maybe fat kids should be rewarded for being fat.
Maybe kids with behavior problems should be rewarded for rebelling.

Where do you draw the line?

Why not have a benefit for each and every person who is discriminated against in school?For whatever reason.
Then dont reward her.

If you want to reward them for being fat, go ahead.
If you want to reward them for rebelling, that is your right.

You draw the line wherever you choose to. You do NOT draw someone else's line for them.

Why not? Host benefits for them. No one is stopping you.


I dont understand. Who are you blaming for the things she has gotten? How has your life been (forcefully) negatively affected by this?
  #49  
June 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,288
You have rights even when you are overweight.

A rebellious hellion of a teen can still take who they want to prom.

Her "claim" to be a lesbian meant that her rights to go to the prom with the date of her choice were taken from her. Why is it even an issue that she got 3 proms??

Where do you draw the line??? You don't if it is a cause that is worthwhile to YOU.
__________________

















  #50  
June 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,509
[quote=Lisa*G;20500576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post


Your post is full of hearsay and opinions - can you back your assertions up?

You say that if parents want to rent a place and have their own little "thing," then that's ok - but it isn't ok for people to arrange their own little "thing" (concert) for Constance? That's a little hypocritical.



Lisa
I know that school sponsored prom was held for anyone to attend,including Constance and her girlfriend.

I know that the second chance prom was held in May and she was said to attend it as well as the one in Memphis.

I know that she was also the grand Marshall in a parade in NY .

and maybe I am being a little hypocritical.But aren't we all at times?Nobody is perfect.
__________________

  #52  
June 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NE MS
Posts: 9,509
I am not jealous of her.

I just wonder if she did this for the money and attention or if she just wanted to be able to take her girlfriend to the prom.
__________________

  #53  
June 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Joining in late:

Constance is getting an awful lot of media attention. It would appear that some people (namely those close to her in location) think she's milking the prom incident in order to get freebies. Perhaps they think she doesn't care about GLTB rights, but just cares about getting attention and a free ride to college. Maybe she's not even really a lesbian. Maybe she's milking it for fame and the "drama factor" - I actually wouldn't doubt that she is, given her age and the affinity teenagers have for riding that drama llama.

But the real question is.. who really gives a rat's behind? Assuming that she's actually straight, and is sitting back soaking up all the attention she's getting and counting her piles of money as she drives her wicked cool new car.. does it really matter? Does it really effect anyone who doesn't WANT to be effected by it?

I understand the idea behind advocating that the other people who were discriminated against get a benefit concert.. but if they actually WANT one, if they actually CARE, then perhaps they should speak up and ask for a benefit concert.
  #54  
June 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Personally, I think she just wanted to go to prom. The people CHOSE to give her whatever she has received. She hasnt forced anyone to do or give her anything. Even if she did it just to get money.. she wasnt guaranteed money. If I go to the media with something totally bogus, like.. I deserve money because my second toe is longer than my first, Im not going to get money unless people choose to give it to me. She has a legitimate issue with the school and only ASKED to be able to take the date of her choice to prom. The end. The rest was GIVEN to her by others' choice.
  #55  
June 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
I am not jealous of her.

I just wonder if she did this for the money and attention or if she just wanted to be able to take her girlfriend to the prom.
Even if she did just do it for money and attention (which I HIGHLY doubt,) I'd say it wasn't a terrible thing in the end because it has brought much needed attention to gay rights in this country. Just because there are other causes in this world doesn't mean hers is invalid. It's been brought up several times - if you don't want to further her cause, then just don't. But I really don't see the point in complaining that others want to donate time and money.


Lisa
__________________


  #56  
June 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Well Kes, if that's what she's doing then it will end up hurting GLBT rights in the long run because people would feel bitter about being taken for a ride. The main problem with milking things for attention comes when it's gone so far that people get fed up with hearing about it.
(Ya'll thought you were rid of me for the rest of the day, but I just remembered DH's computer has mobile WiFi! )
  #58  
June 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiex2 View Post
All of the "she may not really be a lesbian" is heresay, and to be honest, it's just another way to discriminate against her because she stuck up for herself.

Until you can actually prove these ridiculous allegations, why are you spreading false rumors about a teenager?
Exactly this.
__________________


  #59  
June 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
I think it's sooooo awesome that Constance has this crystal ball that let her see into the future so she knew that if she asked to bring her girlfriend to prom, that would lead to free cars and a college tuition and lots of attention and being buddies with Ellen Degeneres. I wonder if she'll let me borrow it.

I don't think any teenager would want this. Seriously. She may have the (most of) the nation's support, but it's pretty clear what she has to deal with in her hometown. Who *wants* to be the poster child for discrimination? Constance had to put on a brave face when the ENTIRE NATION found out she got snubbed and humiliated by her classmates. This poor girl is being bullied (even now) because she's "different."

I am so glad I don't live in her hometown.
__________________





  #60  
June 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I think it's sooooo awesome that Constance has this crystal ball that let her see into the future so she knew that if she asked to bring her girlfriend to prom, that would lead to free cars and a college tuition and lots of attention and being buddies with Ellen Degeneres. I wonder if she'll let me borrow it.

I don't think any teenager would want this. Seriously. She may have the (most of) the nation's support, but it's pretty clear what she has to deal with in her hometown. Who *wants* to be the poster child for discrimination? Constance had to put on a brave face when the ENTIRE NATION found out she got snubbed and humiliated by her classmates. This poor girl is being bullied (even now) because she's "different."

I am so glad I don't live in her hometown.

Me too! A teenager that would say she's lesbian and face all of this discrimination and intolerance is probably pretty few and far between.

It really sounds like the people in this town need to "let it go," not Constance. She just wants to be accepted for who she is. Everything else is a perk. Apparently this town still hasn't learned it's lesson from this and continues to crucify her.


Lisa
__________________


Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0