Benefit Concert PLanned for lesbian teen

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Benefit concert planned for lesbian teen in NY

The Associated Press • June 10, 2010 A benefit concert is planned this month in Woodstock, N.Y., for Constance McMillen, the lesbian teenager who sued her school district over its policy banning same-sex prom dates.
Rock singer Ronnie Spector will headline the June 25 concert at Bearsville Theater in Woodstock, and all proceeds will go to McMillen’s college education fund and the ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and AIDS Project.

Spector said in a news release that she knows how it feels to grow up as an outsider.

McMillen filed suit in March against the Itawamba County School District when a school prom was canceled after she asked to bring her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.

Oh my gosh!!!!!!WTH?WHY are they giving her a benefit concert?JUST because she is a lesbian and all the proma drama crap?
If I was discriminated against because I was fat would they give me a big benefit concert?I think not.

Last edited by The Kimber; June 11th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
June 11th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think someone is trying to further their own agenda here...I mean I'm not against having the concert, I just think it's kinda dumb. Let it go and move on.

June 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post

Oh my gosh!!!!!!WTH?WHY are they giving her a benefit concert?JUST because she is a lesbian and all the proma drama crap?
If I was discriminated against because I was fat would they give me a big benefit concert?I think not.
Because they want to...? Who cares. It's a privately organized fundraiser and it's not costing taxpayers any money. Anyone can host a benefit concert for any reason they want. If you don't agree with it, then don't attend. It's that simple.

June 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree.Let it go and move on...

If they want to give the money to the ACLU or AIDS research or whatever,thats fine.But if you give her money then you should give money to all the others that have been discriminated against....

June 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally support a concert to raise awareness. I don't think that "letting it go and move on" is the attitude that we need to have. Turning a blind eye to discrimination and prejudice is not a good response and not what got us women's rights, African American rights, etc.

I don't think that giving to her college fund is a good idea, I wish that all the money went to Aids research or something. But, whatever, as stated, it's not taxpayers money so I really have no say-so in it.

Yes, it was just a prom, but Constance is a symbol and an example of how we are still, in 2010, prejudice and hateful to people that live a different lifestyle. She became the face of every American teen that has ever been discriminated against in school because of her alternative lifestyle. I hope that the media doesn't let it go, and we don't turn a blind eye and we continue to fight for their rights. They are our children, brothers, sisters, friends.. we need to fight for them.
June 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about the kids with special needs who were not invited to the "real" prom?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yes
and what about the fat unpopular kids and the gothic kids and the "freaks" who were not invited to the "real" prom.....

From the pictures that I saw of the "real" prom, there were not alot of kids there.I'm sure the only ones there were the popular ones and the "in" crowd......

June 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Then throw them a benefit concert. Whoever is organizing this is obviously very involved in the GLBT community and is trying to raise money and awareness for his/her particular cause. No one is stopping anyone from organizing an event to benefit the other special communities who were discriminated against.

I am completely baffled by the strong response to this. There are fundraisers and benefits all.the.time that benefit an individual or a specific cause, and people don't throw their hands up and protest, "She's getting a benefit concert JUST because she has breast cancer? They need to give money to EVERYONE who has cancer, not just her." It's no different. If I wanted to host a benefit concert for my cat, I'm well within my rights to do so.

June 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
They even threw her a prom in Memphis. Mississippi lesbian student to attend 'prom for all' in Memphis The Commercial Appeal

I hope she is not making a profit off this ordeal. I am fine with all the awareness, I just hope she doesn't get used or use people because of what happened to her.

June 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
It's kinda lame. Benefit concerts are supposed to be for people who are dying of a tragic illness, or victims of some horrible natural disaster. This doesn't fit the bill on the scale of human suffering. But it's also their business, not mine. I am in no way affected, so why should I be bothered by it?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
It's kinda lame. Benefit concerts are supposed to be for people who are dying of a tragic illness, or victims of some horrible natural disaster. This doesn't fit the bill on the scale of human suffering. But it's also their business, not mine. I am in no way affected, so why should I be bothered by it?
Says who...? I've heard of people throwing benefits to raise money for a boob job. All "benefit" means is that the profit goes toward something specific.

I am seriously disturbed by some of the responses in this thread. Because the beneficiary is a lesbian teen, this concert is regarded with animosity, or at the very least, apathy. No one would blink an eye if this was a sports team organizing a concert to raise money to travel to a tournament. No one sneers at Girl Scouts selling cookies to raise money for their troops. It's the exact.same.thing. Someone wants to contribute to her college fund and raise money for the ACLU. Why is that a big deal?

If the concert were for one of the disabled students who was excluded, I really REALLY doubt these type of comments would be made. We don't get to dictate how people donate their time and money.

June 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I only asked about the kids with special needs because they were excluded as well and I thought the whole issue with the prom in the first place was because of exclusion. I'm ok with anyone throwing a benefit concert for whatever they want though.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
No one would blink an eye if this was a sports team organizing a concert to raise money to travel to a tournament. No one sneers at Girl Scouts selling cookies to raise money for their troops. It's the exact.same.thing.
It's not the exact same thing. Those are events that the teams organize themselves. Other people don't go out of their way to put on benefit concerts for them.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
It's not the exact same thing. Those are events that the teams organize themselves. Other people don't go out of their way to put on benefit concerts for them.
What difference does that make? Are fundraisers less legitimate depending on who organizes them? Teams don't typically organize their own fundraisers, anyway. That usually falls under the responsibility of a booster club.

June 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Seriously, anytime someone comes out (heh) and says negative things about this girl I can't help but want to fight for her more. The fact is, she, like many others before and sadly after her, was discriminated against. The difference is that she was brave enough to stand up for herself, make some noise and her story caught on. Too bad for the school and town that they were made to look like the bigots they are.

I think Candace deserves all the help and championing she is getting. She is a brave young woman who is not just going to "let it go already".

June 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM
foxfire_ga79
I'm just not seeing the connection. Because she didn't get to go to the prom she deserves to have other people pay her way through college? What am I missing?

When I lived in Hawaii for 3 years I spend those years on the receiving end of violent racism. A lot of people over there hate whites, particularly military whites. I got into 13 fights in the first semester of 7th grade alone. I was always having to defend myself not only against words, but physically. For 3. miserable. years.
Nobody decided to have a benefit for me and pay my way to college. I didn't get to be on the news, poor poor me my life is so tough. I'm not a hero because I stood up against the teachers when I was 12 who did nothing to stop the bullying, in fact, I got suspended for standing up to the adults.

It's not the thought of someone having a benefit for her that bothers me, it's when people milk the benefits of being victims. She didn't get to go to prom, she got discriminated against, life. goes. on.

That said, let them have the benefit if it makes them feel better. It's their time and it's their money, and instead of gaining more sympathy for her it's obviously pissing even more people off.

By the way, her name is Constance, not Candace. Her supporters should at least learn her name.
June 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I'm just not seeing the connection. Because she didn't get to go to the prom she deserves to have other people pay her way through college? What am I missing?

When I lived in Hawaii for 3 years I spend those years on the receiving end of violent racism. A lot of people over there hate whites, particularly military whites. I got into 13 fights in the first semester of 7th grade alone. I was always having to defend myself not only against words, but physically. For 3. miserable. years.
Nobody decided to have a benefit for me and pay my way to college. I didn't get to be on the news, poor poor me my life is so tough. I'm not a hero because I stood up against the teachers when I was 12 who did nothing to stop the bullying, in fact, I got suspended for standing up to the adults.

It's not the thought of someone having a benefit for her that bothers me, it's when people milk the benefits of being victims. She didn't get to go to prom, she got discriminated against, life. goes. on.

That said, let them have the benefit if it makes them feel better. It's their time and it's their money, and instead of gaining more sympathy for her it's obviously pissing even more people off.

By the way, her name is Constance, not Candace. Her supporters should at least learn her name.
Then do something to raise awareness to that issue and to make sure no kid has to go through what you went through. Get on the news and advocate for those who are going what you went through. Organize fundraisers to help them go to college.

That's what this is. People who have faced similar discrimination and are rallying around this girl in hope of enacting change. No one is stopping you from doing the same thing.

Instead of looking at our own lives and feeling sorry for ourselves because we went through something similar and no one helped us, we should be using our experiences to fuel us into making the world better.

June 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
foxfire_ga79
But that's the thing Jess, I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I don't NEED anyone to sing to me and give me money because what didn't kill me made me stronger. Strong enough to do things on my own.

And FWIW, nobody gives a crap about whites receiving racism. Whites haven't suffered historically as bad as other races so when we speak of racism against us most people think we're just being over dramatic and whiney. If I tried to have a benefit singing because of whites being discriminated against I'd be laughed off the planet.
June 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Constance, not Candace
Ooops,,,,totally missed that Foxfire already posted that

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search