13 yr old girl says the c word on Today show

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Meredith Vieira was interviewing Kayla Manson, a 13-year-old Florida girl embroiled in a brutal teen beating case, when the slip-up occurred.
Manson is accused of being an accomplice to attempted murder after her 15-year-old boyfriend, Wayne Treacy, attacked her best friend, Josie Ratley, on March 17th.
Vieira asked Kayla about disturbing text messages that were exchanged between the teens at school, where Wayne allegedly threatened to kill Josie.
Kayla replied that she only saw two text messages: “The one where she calls him a rapist, and she calls him a c**t, I mean the one where he calls her a c**t.”

Was she wrong for saying the word on national tv?What are your views on this?

June 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't get offended by words, so I wouldn't care if I heard it. I personally would have censored it (if I worked for the Today show), and if I was the girl I just would have said "the c word" instead of the actual word because I'm aware that the majority of people are or can get offended by that word. I'm sensitive to that. But I've said it, my friends say it, and we don't care. But I wouldn't say it on TV. My mom would kill me. haha.

June 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would have censored it, but in the context (relating facts of the case) rather than actually calling someone the name on TV it feels different. I still don't like the word though.

June 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I dislike the word, but in context I don't think it's awful that she said it. I'm surprised it wasn't censored though.
June 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Eh it's a word. Is it the nicest word in the world? No. If someone called me that, would I be ticked off? Yes and no. To me saying that word just shows that you are classless. It isn't a word that is part of my vocabulary.

June 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
She was referring to another using the word, so int hat context I'd side on her not being wrong for using it. I agree it would have been better for her to say "the c word" instead.

June 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjoys View Post
Eh it's a word. Is it the nicest word in the world? No. If someone called me that, would I be ticked off? Yes and no. To me saying that word just shows that you are classless. It isn't a word that is part of my vocabulary.
Ditto. I cuss A LOT and I don't even use that word. I agree within the context it was used that it's okay; although the "c word" would have been preferable. Also, I suck at using : and ; so I'm not sure I used it right.

June 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
LOL...really it should have been censored.
June 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Will the Today Show get a fine from the FCC about that?

June 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Would they have preferred vagina, kitty cat, ***** cat, hoo ha or what? She said what the text said. How is that any worse than the f-word or any other supposed profanity used on tv? I guess vulgar words are supposed to be rated now? Some are safe for tv whereas others are not?

June 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Would they have preferred vagina, kitty cat, ***** cat, hoo ha or what? She said what the text said. How is that any worse than the f-word or any other supposed profanity used on tv? I guess vulgar words are supposed to be rated now? Some are safe for tv whereas others are not?
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
Word never bothers me. I use it on nearly a daily basis. Just not in front of people and i'd have common sense not to say it on TV during an interview. I can understand why she was saying it though just to relay the text she read. It's not like she was in the middle of some random conversation and just blurted it out which would be awkward.

still waters run deep

How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response.
Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us
-Thrall

*FaceBook*
*Myspace*
June 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I hate I missed that.

June 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
She's also 13. It's been a while since I was 13, but looking back I don't really see myself thinking about proper manners and censoring myself.
June 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
She's also 13. It's been a while since I was 13, but looking back I don't really see myself thinking about proper manners and censoring myself.
Oh, they are PERFECTLY capable of censoring themselves. They do it all the time. Anyway, was this live tv?? If it wasn't, that would be weird to not censor it. The girl probably doesn't see any swear word as "bad". But I could be wrong.

When I ask my middle schoolers about something another person said they say "he called her the 'c-word'" or whatever.

June 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl88 View Post
Meredith Vieira was interviewing Kayla Manson, a 13-year-old Florida girl embroiled in a brutal teen beating case, when the slip-up occurred.
Manson is accused of being an accomplice to attempted murder after her 15-year-old boyfriend, Wayne Treacy, attacked her best friend, Josie Ratley, on March 17th.
Vieira asked Kayla about disturbing text messages that were exchanged between the teens at school, where Wayne allegedly threatened to kill Josie.
Kayla replied that she only saw two text messages: “The one where she calls him a rapist, and she calls him a c**t, I mean the one where he calls her a c**t.”

Was she wrong for saying the word on national tv?What are your views on this?
A 13 year old possibly being involved in a beating is a little higher on my What The $#%^ radar than her using the C-word on TV. If she really is involved in this beating, that sounds like was an attempted murder, then I'm guessing her own morals may not really include whether not she should be curbing her swearing on tv interviews. If she is trying to gain sympathy, someone maybe should have mentioned it sooner than the interview. I'm assuming that her link to someone's failed beating death might be a red flag she doesn't have someone to guide her on how to carry herself on tv.

The station has the responsibility to bleep out words already ruled as not ok to say on tv. I'm with Gina wondering if they will be fined.
June 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
A 13 year old possibly being involved in a beating is a little higher on my What The $#%^ radar than her using the C-word on TV. If she really is involved in this beating, that sounds like was an attempted murder, then I'm guessing her own morals may not really include whether not she should be curbing her swearing on tv interviews. If she is trying to gain sympathy, someone maybe should have mentioned it sooner than the interview. I'm assuming that her link to someone's failed beating death might be a red flag she doesn't have someone to guide her on how to carry herself on tv.

The station has the responsibility to bleep out words already ruled as not ok to say on tv. I'm with Gina wondering if they will be fined.
You took the words right out of my mouth. What made me raise an eyebrow in this situation isn't the use of the c-word, it's what she's suspected of doing. This is horrible.

Lisa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search