ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder)

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son fits that description, all but the empty eyes part. He has empathy, but only sometimes, not all the time. He does have true ADHD, but we don't medicate him. DH has ADHD too and was medicated as a child and he said it was horrible.

This disorder is very real and its beyond being bratty, I don't think bratty and ODD is even on the same level.
September 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd also add the lack of empathy can come from other disorders as well (brain damage) and I could even possibly argue that someone with severe Aspergers could at times appear to have no empathy, merely because they cannot read and understand social cues and interaction.

September 16th, 2010, 07:27 AM
sunshine411's Avatar Let's go MAVS!!!!
I originally had the knee-jerk reaction to say they are just being bratty because they can and that it was probably a cop out. I'm glad I got to read this and learn that it was so much more than that.

Great info!
September 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't read much on ODD in a long time but I do believe its real.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
September 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
My son fits that description, all but the empty eyes part. He has empathy, but only sometimes, not all the time. He does have true ADHD, but we don't medicate him. DH has ADHD too and was medicated as a child and he said it was horrible.

This disorder is very real and its beyond being bratty, I don't think bratty and ODD is even on the same level.
Since you do not medicate is there alternative things you do for your son. I would not be surprised if Jay has ADHD along with his Autism. I will not medicate unless its a last resort. Jay's tss was medicated for ADD and he hated the medicine and stopped taking it when he got older.

Lash thanks for sharing this. I to honestly thought it was just parents who could not handle there children as well but now I see its much more then that.
September 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I'd also add the lack of empathy can come from other disorders as well (brain damage) and I could even possibly argue that someone with severe Aspergers could at times appear to have no empathy, merely because they cannot read and understand social cues and interaction.
I was going to say something like this. I thought one of the symptoms of Asberger's was a lack of empathy, or at least the appearance of such.

Lauren, is ODD ever misdiagnosed as ADHD? I have to wonder if my brother has ODD. I know he was diagnosed with ADD back in the day, but that's all I remember (I was just a kid, and my family doesn't really discuss health issues with each other, not even now). I can tell you that he definitely lacks empathy for living creatures.
September 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep totallly Kes. 70-80% of ODD patients also have ADHD so it gets diagnosed and others overlooked or excused as ADHD

September 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm just gonna PM you.
September 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lash you ruined my debate with all your smartness and information, lol.

September 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
My friends daughter was recently diagnosed with this. She doesn't have the empty eyes though, but she's wild. I babysat her once and I wouldn't ever again.
September 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Great post. I've seen that "empty look" and you can't put that in a diagnostic manual, because it's so intangible, but you know it when you see it!!
Great info, Lauren! I have worked with two ODD children in community mental health. One was 5 and the other was 10. In my experience it is VERY clear the diffference between "just a bratty kid" and a true child with ODD. I mean, VERY clear. You can just see it. I felt like a huge failure to those kids, because honestly my time with them helped in no way what.so.ever. But, really, nothing much is going to help and it is incredibly sad. Both of these children had killed more than one animal and was violent towards their younger siblings. Both have been removed from the home more than one time and their behavior was the same when out of the negative environments. Unfortunately, as you said, most of these kids will grow into Anti-Social personalities who we could very likely see on the news one day for multiple, serious, violent crimes against others.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

September 20th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
ODD is very much a real disorder. When I was Seven I was Diagnosed as being oppositionally Defiant and Attention Deficient. My mom told me just a few weeks ago a story about how before I was diagnosed and on meds, I would always ask to go outside after it rained, because like any child, I loved the puddles. Every time my mom would repeat over and over "Amanda don't go in the mud, Amanda Don't go in the Puddles." As I was on my way out to play she would ask me what I wasn't supposed to do and in my tine little voice "Don't play in the mud and water". Well I wouldn't be out there ten minutes and she would check on me... Guess where I was? Yup I was in those lovely puddles! Later after I was diagnosed and mom found a support group for Single Parents, she was told that it was what I was hearing, I was focusing too much on the words "Mud, Water or Puddle" So that's what I would I would think about when I was out side. Think of it as a temptation. When mom changed how she worded it to me from "Amanda Don't go In the Puddles, Water or Mud" to Amanda Stay on the Sidewalk" I stayed on the side walk.After a while I was the Diagnosed as having ODD, ADHD and BiPolar Disorder and Learning disabilities. I have since grown out of the ODD but with the three diagnoses finding the right med combination was like looking for an needle in a field of hay... forget that stupid bale. Doctors still struggle to find the right meds when one stops working! Oh the Joys to be Me. But Yes. ODD is very real and very frustrating for the families with children who are diagnosed with it.

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

September 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
ODD is a real disorder. I have seen it first hand and the parents of this child were anything buy complacent. They were, honestly, physically and emotionally exhausted from their efforts to address the behavior resulting from this disorder.

I must say, though, it gets under my skin when people mention things like ADHD and, either, blatantly state or imply that medicating the disorder is a cop out or lazy. I have ADHD (non-hyperactive/inattentive form), as does my daughter. The adderall, for me, makes me a better wife and a better mother. I am not a zombie. I am not any different, other than I am more focused, I am more patient and I am more efficient. My daughter takes Focalin and it is the difference between A's and B's or D's and F's. She is the exact same child, she is just able to focus her attention in school.

May 31st, 2014, 12:34 PM
gmtejese's Avatar Expecting Number 4 :)
Send a message via AIM to gmtejese Send a message via Yahoo to gmtejese
I know this is an old post but coming from a mother who HAS a child with ODD, this is not just a case of a 'bratty child'

My 5 year old Jaxon was just diagnosed with ODD and CD along with ADHD and it is an incredibly tough job! He is currently on Risperdal which is a pretty heavy antipsychotic medication. He is also on Remeron at night for sleep.

Jaxon has been a danger to himself and others more than once and a normal, bratty child who doesn't want to listen would not behave in this way. He has done some pretty severe things (thankfully no one, including himself, have been hurt) but these children need CONSTANT monitoring. Jaxon will take things apart no matter what they are. Just two weeks ago he took apart his little brother's nebulizer. Snipped the cords inside the nebulizer and then tried to take the motor apart when my mother noticed. She thought he was upstairs in his room asleep.

The best way to put it is imagine a normal two year old. Now multiply that by 10 and you have a child with ODD that has to be constantly monitored.

Like Lash said, doctor's hate dealing with these cases because they are so difficult to diagnose.
July 6th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Good info to know. Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search