Unschooling?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM
foxfire_ga79
What do you ladies think of unschooling?

Do you think it meets all kids' needs, or are there some gaps to fill?

Does it only work with some kids, or can any kid be unschooled and end up successful?

Unschooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, IMO, people can't learn everything they need to know to ADVANCE in life just by going along and learning only what amuses them at the moment. If kids are going to grow up with a trade, such as farming or carpentry or something, then it could work out great. I don't know that I'd want a doctor who was "unschooled."
But of course that's JMO. What's everyone else think?
October 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are certain skills every person needs regardless of whether it interests them or not. Math is one such skill. Basic math skills are essential. What if the child chooses to never learn math? They're going to have a heck of a time managing their money as an adult, even if they never need it for anything else.

I also think that kids need to try different things that they might not have thought of themselves. Maybe they won't know how much they enjoy something, or how good they are at it if nobody else introduces it to them.

I think this could be done very well, if given some structure, but could also go very, very badly.

October 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amegra View Post
There are certain skills every person needs regardless of whether it interests them or not. Math is one such skill. Basic math skills are essential. What if the child chooses to never learn math? They're going to have a heck of a time managing their money as an adult, even if they never need it for anything else.

I also think that kids need to try different things that they might not have thought of themselves. Maybe they won't know how much they enjoy something, or how good they are at it if nobody else introduces it to them.

I think this could be done very well, if given some structure, but could also go very, very badly.
Agreed time a bazillion.

I think there could be a 'right' way to go about this type of learning and a 'wrong' way, just like with homeschooling. I'm sure some children do learn better this way, but there's still essentials that need to be taught like basic math, reading, and writing skills. I'd kick myself if my kid never learned those things.

This isn't something I'd ever be interest in, definitely wouldn't fit my lifestyle and I don't agree with the general concept. So, I don't care what other people do but it's not for me and my kids. They're going to learn some things whether they like it or not

October 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried looking but couldn't find any hard numbers for success rates with in the unschooling philosophy. I'm exhausted and the stats could e staring me in the face and I don't know if I'd see it at this point, maybe someone else will have more success.

There are many parts to it I just don't understand. As a PP mentioned what takes place if a child shows no interest in a particular area. For me personally I know I was introduced to things in school that were just not big within my family and if I had been taught that way I most likely would have.

How are the children taught to work within the confines of what is later expected of them within the work force. Jobs that allow for one to choose what tasks they want to work on are few and far between.

IDK, maybe I'll have a better answer once there are some hard stats and opposing opinions.

October 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I think it's irresponsible at best and neglectful at worst.

October 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly I'm going to need some cold hard numbers on this one. I know that seems to go against unschooling, but if I can legitimately provide stats that prove why education of some kind (homeschool curriculum, formal school) benefits a child over unschooling, then clearly the winner is a formalized education.

October 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Children have to understand that sometimes things aren't going to be laid back, fun, and interesting in their education. I hated history in school... But I appreciate that it was required to be taught. Children are becoming more and more spoiled compared to "olden" days--- basically I have noticed more permissive parenting styles rather than authoritative. I don't believe in letting my child decide what basic skills he wants to learn and when he wants to learn them--- there is plenty of time to do that when he goes to high school and college, where more freedom is granted to choose classes for his future.
October 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If my education were left up to me, I would have spent more time studying what I wanted to eat for lunch and how long I could make a pencil shaving before it broke.

October 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Depends on the child, depends on the family. I personally would have LOVED having the attention from a parent who gave a crap and was willing to help me learn about life. I would have also loved focused study on the things I was interested in learning - there were lots of things that fascinated me. In addition, my lovely public schooling factory-trained me for.. nothing. I don't do well in the workplace; I prefer to stick to myself and am nervous around other people.

In this day and age, the beauty is that if you have computer skills, you can make a living, regardless of method of schooling. You just can't do everything that requires a specific degree/diploma.. yet.

October 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
foxfire_ga79
OMG I used to do that with pencil shavings too!!!

If my education had been left entirely to me, it would have been all about horses, dogs, music/singing, art, and PE.
Had I had a choice in the matter, I would never have been traumatized by being forced to dissect a sentence. Dissecting a fetal pig was great, sentences, not so much.
October 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
OMG I used to do that with pencil shavings too!!!

If my education had been left entirely to me, it would have been all about horses, dogs, music/singing, art, and PE.
Had I had a choice in the matter, I would never have been traumatized by being forced to dissect a sentence. Dissecting a fetal pig was great, sentences, not so much.

But I would call that homeschool. Unschooling has zero rules from what I understand. You might have WANTED to learn about those things at home, but really had little guidance or mentoring in unschooling compared to homeschooling. I support homeschooling, and learning outside a classroom. I'm not sure I support leaving a child to their own devices to figure out how the world operates

October 25th, 2010, 04:13 AM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could you explain it then please?

October 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketInPeril View Post
Well, seeing as I'm probably the only unschooling parent thickskulled enough to represent here, I doubt this'll be a fair debate, LOL.

If anyone is actually interested in what unschooling really is, rather than just spouting their personal opinion based on Wikipedia and a 2 minute segment on Good Morning America, feel free to ask me questions respectfully, and try not to descend to character assassinations for at least a few pages, k?

Otherwise, I will just say this: what everyone here has spouted off so far is patently wrong, or the general idea, twisted to make it sound negative or negligent.
Can you school us then?
October 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyaztavsan View Post
Can you unschool us then?
I fixed it for you =)

October 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unschooling is a lot like homeschooling to be honest. The major difference is that homeschooling tends to have a schedule, and unschooling doesn't. Homeschooling learns from books and experiencing the real world, where unschooling leaves the books out. I have a few friends who do unschooling, and I do homeschooling, and our kids learn the same things, just in different ways.

It's not all about letting the child take the lead, but more of letting the child set the pace. They still learn the basic skills, like general math and all that. They learn what they need to to get a job, or go to college. My friends oldest is already preparing for college and has met most of the requirements (she's 16). Within a year she should be good to go.

Unschooling is different for each family, but as long as the children learn the essentials I have no problems with it.
October 25th, 2010, 06:00 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well, seeing as I'm probably the only unschooling parent thickskulled enough to represent here, I doubt this'll be a fair debate, LOL.

If anyone is actually interested in what unschooling really is, rather than just spouting their personal opinion based on Wikipedia and a 2 minute segment on Good Morning America, feel free to ask me questions respectfully, and try not to descend to character assassinations for at least a few pages, k?

Otherwise, I will just say this: what everyone here has spouted off so far is patently wrong, or the general idea, twisted to make it sound negative or negligent.
Wow, way to come out of the gate swinging

Hmmm, I think I mixed my metaphors there.... it's too early.

October 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Ok as Cricket has accepted responsibility of the initial burden of proof as to establishing validity towards the side of "Pro Unschoolong", I will wait to see the research and evidence from Cricket.

October 25th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I think it's irresponsible at best and neglectful at worst.
This. I've done a lot of reading about homeschooling and unschooling - I even worked with someone who's wife was home with their 3 boys unschooling and I asked him a billion questions because it fascinated me.

I think it is setting up a child for failure in life.

But yes, CricketinPeril... please (un)school us on the benefits. Everything that I've read and heard about it, seems like it is doing a child no favors. Please tell me how it benefits them, both as they grow and as adults.

October 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So then debate and argue your stance. Jumping into a martyr role at each debate is a waste of time you are most likely not going to get what it is you're going for here.

Quote:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search