"Asian Kiss" - Glee

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought it was just funny, but when they said it, I was secretly hoping I would be learning a new type of kissing, like butterfly or eskimo kisses. That show is a bit politically incorrect, having one character call a gay character "lady" or "porcelein" for example. But they also are doing a lot to try to promote acceptance of differences, so I don't think you can read a lot into it.
December 31st, 2010, 02:51 AM
I created an account just to explain the "Asian Kiss" confusion to you guys. I'm Asian. An Asian kiss refers to a unique type of kiss that can only physically occur between 2 Asians. When Caucasians kiss, they must each tilt their head in opposite directions. This is to avoid the noses bumping. Because our noses don't protrude much from our faces, we can kiss head-on, without tilting our head. That is what an "Asian Kiss" is. It is not racist or politically incorrect - it's just a matter of fact thing.
December 31st, 2010, 02:00 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
? I don't turn my head to the side when I kiss. I guess I have an abnormally small nose.
December 31st, 2010, 02:00 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Okay, I had to Google after reading that last post. Urban Dictionary has an entry for Asian kiss but it is definitely not what is described in the above post.

December 31st, 2010, 02:39 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Badfish** View Post
Okay, I had to Google after reading that last post. Urban Dictionary has an entry for Asian kiss but it is definitely not what is described in the above post.
you made me curious yes, definitely not the same thing!
December 31st, 2010, 03:10 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Ahahaha..
December 31st, 2010, 03:38 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I'm going to see if I can work "Asian Kiss" into my conversations at my New Year's party tonight. The Urban Dictionary version, of course.

January 1st, 2011, 09:40 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersh View Post
Ok, I understand from the replies that people don't think it's a big deal. I'm asking what you thought the point of it was? What is the point of prefacing an action with "race/religion/cultural idetifier"? What purpose does it serve? No purpose? Then why do it? To reinforce that they are Asian? To what end? We know they are Asian. We know that when they kiss it will be two Asians kissing, but I never would have thought about it that way had they not said. I would have thought "two people in a relationship kissing."

To me, putting a cultural/religious/race identity on an action highlights that culture/religion/race. I'm wondering what the purpose of doing that in that scene is since it went no further than that. I am wondering what Jenna Ushkowitz and Harry Shrum thought of that line when they realized they were to say it?

Ah, good point. I never saw that episode!

I think it is done probably mostly to draw attention to it. There are almost zero Asians on tv- especially prime time. And forget about seeing 2 Asians kiss! SO I think it is a good thing, and it is to draw attention to that breaking the norms are being done.

I've said this in other debates. We don't say "white kiss" or whatever because whites are in the majority- the ones in power. When things are prefaced "asian" or "latino" it is from the groups that are not the majority- not in power. It is done to call attention to something different being done.

January 1st, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm sad to report that I got inebriated last night and forgot about using "Asian kiss" in conversation.

January 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
^ I tried to have your back.

January 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Badfish** View Post
^ I tried to have your back.
You did. There is always tonight. I'm going to say semi-sober and remember. Promise!

September 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I can't believe I, a 26 year old guy, had to make an account on a website called "just mommies", but I needed to answer this, so here we are.
They didn't call it an Asian kiss just cause the two people were Asian, it's a type of kissing style. It may come as a surprise to most people in the world, but Asians, especially East Asians, do not kiss the way we do in the west. I know the first time I kissed a Japanese girl my instant thought was... "what the fu** is this girl doing with her mouth!?" Anyone in an interracial relationship with an Asian has had this same thought.(Unless they don't know how to kiss). Asians tend to awkwardly press their lips together without much movement and often without tilting their heads because of tiny noses. People have started referring to this as the Asian kiss. It's difficult to explain, if you want to understand, fly to Asia and kiss an Asian, I guarantee you will notice the difference.
So there was absolutely nothing racist or inappropriate about this Glee scene.
Oh and the Urban dictionary definition is just insane, ignore that.
September 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, how I love the pointlessly resurrected thread.

September 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by how did I get here View Post
I can't believe I, a 26 year old guy, had to make an account on a website called "just mommies", but I needed to answer this, so here we are.
I can't believe it either, but the fact that a 26 year old single guy felt compelled to take time out of his life visit a mommy site to set a bunch of "mommies" straight on something they talked about 9 months ago is hysterical to me and made my whole day.

And ps, where do you live that you have to "fly to Asia" in order to encounter an Asian? I see them every day, right here in the US.
September 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Geesh get a life dude, seriously.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran
I was wondering why the heck Jillian was going to a new year's party in September and getting inebriated while pregnant
September 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Keepin' it real!
I think that the fact that cultures ARE different and some things come from very specific cultures means every culture is DIFFERENT; that's what makes things beautiful. I don't see how it's racist to embrace your own culture #1 and #2 to portray the fact you embrace your own culture. It's a KISS, FFS. Not a big deal AT. ALL. unless you make it one. Who cares if they call it an Asian Kiss or a French Kiss. I cannot understand why anyone really cares that much or would ever be offended by these things. They really don't matter in the grand scheme of life.

Edited: I didnt notice the date! SORRY!

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
I was wondering why the heck Jillian was going to a new year's party in September and getting inebriated while pregnant
AHAHA! That's how I roll

September 16th, 2011, 02:05 PM
KimberlyD0
I think to much is being read into it personally.
September 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I think to much is being read into it personally.
I agree. I have zero problem with Jillian throwing a New Year's party in September. All the people reading into it that she's a lush should back the heck off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search