"Asian Kiss" - Glee

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Last night on Glee, Tina and Mike kissed and prefaced it with "Asian kiss." For those who don't watch, Tina and Mike are both Asian.

Do think this is acceptable and appropriate? Do you think it discourages or encourages racism? What message do you think it sends?

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

December 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
But it is/was an Asian kiss...'cause they're both Asian, right?. Just like there is the French kiss and an eskimo kiss, a butterfly kiss, etc. I don't really think it promotes racism.

December 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
But it is/was an Asian kiss...'cause they're both Asian, right?. Just like there is the French kiss and an eskimo kiss, a butterfly kiss, etc. I don't really think it promotes racism.
I guess I should have included my thought of what if Finn and Quinn kissed and prefaced it with "White Kiss" or Puck and Rachel kissed and prefaced it with "Jewish Kiss"?

ETA: Eskimo Kiss isn't really a kiss. It's a greeting/gesture loosely based on Inuit culture. Butterfly kiss isn't a kiss that is specific to butterflies. I'm just wondering what "Asian" has to do with it. It was a kiss, why make it an "insert cultural/race specifier here kiss"?

Last edited by Tersh; December 1st, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
December 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they were just trying to be funny, I dunno. I would take no offense to two people calling their kiss whatever they wanted to. We all know kissing is kissing, so them calling their kiss and Asian one doesn't make one bit of difference to me. I don't see the problem. They're not making fun of anyone or putting themselves or anyone else down, at least not in my eyes.

December 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
I don't think it sends any message. They're both Asians.... and they're kissing. An Asian kiss. I don't see what a big deal it could be.

December 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Things that are done on a TV program are done to
a) be funny or amusing
b) be thought provoking
c) to contribute to a story line
d) to send a message
e) to provide otherwise non specific entertainment.

I pulled those from my butt, but they are general reasons for things to be done/portrayed on a dramatic TV program.

I didn't see that line as fitting into any of those categories, except maybe to send a message or be thought-provoking. Otherwise, I really don't understand the point of it. It wasn't funny or entertaining, it didn't contribute to the story line (we know they are Asian).

Again, say Quinn and Finn were still together and they light-heartedly kissed and before it, said "Caucasian kiss" -- do you really think that would fly under the radar?

Last edited by Tersh; December 1st, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
December 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I normally watch Glee but missed it last night, so I didn't see it. But from what you're saying I have no problems with it. They're both Asian and they kissed, not really a big deal to me.
December 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you've watched the show previously, they hooked up while teaching at an Asian arts camp and in one episode, Tina gets annoyed because of all the "Asian" activities they do. Therefore, I think that Mike saying that is completely in character and not offensive at all.

December 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Ok, I understand from the replies that people don't think it's a big deal. I'm asking what you thought the point of it was? What is the point of prefacing an action with "race/religion/cultural idetifier"? What purpose does it serve? No purpose? Then why do it? To reinforce that they are Asian? To what end? We know they are Asian. We know that when they kiss it will be two Asians kissing, but I never would have thought about it that way had they not said. I would have thought "two people in a relationship kissing."

To me, putting a cultural/religious/race identity on an action highlights that culture/religion/race. I'm wondering what the purpose of doing that in that scene is since it went no further than that. I am wondering what Jenna Ushkowitz and Harry Shrum thought of that line when they realized they were to say it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjoys View Post
If you've watched the show previously, they hooked up while teaching at an Asian arts camp and in one episode, Tina gets annoyed because of all the "Asian" activities they do. Therefore, I think that Mike saying that is completely in character and not offensive at all.
Ah, good point. I never saw that episode!

Last edited by Tersh; December 1st, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
December 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersh View Post
Ok, I understand from the replies that people don't think it's a big deal. I'm asking what you thought the point of it was? What is the point of prefacing an action with "race/religion/cultural idetifier"? What purpose does it serve? No purpose? Then why do it? To reinforce that they are Asian? To what end? We know they are Asian. We know that when they kiss it will be two Asians kissing, but I never would have thought about it that way had they not said. I would have thought "two people in a relationship kissing."

To me, putting a cultual/religious/race identity on an action highlights that culture/religion/race. I'm wondering what the purpose of doing that in that scene is since it went no further than that. I am wondering what Jenna Ushkowitz and Harry Shrum thought of that line when they realized they were to say it?

Ah, good point. I never saw that episode!
To be funny. Just because you personally didn't find it amusing doesn't mean that wasn't the intent and doesn't mean no one else got a chuckle out of it.

December 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
It's a running joke between Mike and Tina. That was the purpose.

December 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it makes much more sense to me now that I know what I missed. It seemed so weird to throw it out there without that background.

December 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
PS - Can we now talk about Mike Chang's abs?

Did you know that Harry Shum Jr has been in a bunch of ipod commercials? YouTube - New iPod Nano Commercial

December 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I'm agreeing with everyone else. The "Asian couples counseling" was kind of funny. This seems to fit into the same vein, and I think it's pretty funny, because it is just a running joke between those two characters. Heck, they could hook up Rachel and Puck and make Jewish jokes between the two of them if they REALLY wanted to. I wouldn't be offended by that, either.
December 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
I thought it was funny, not controversial at all.

I loved the Time of your life song! Made me want to watch Dirty Dancing last night.

December 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Not a watcher of said show, but I think talking openly about race is the only way out of racism, and it sounds like that comment on the show opened doors for discussion.

December 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
They have really pushed the Jewish aspect of relationships on there as well. Rachel and Puck did date at some point, because they were both Jewish. From what I've seen, the "asian" theme has been a big part of their relationship, so I wouldn't have thought twice about it. (Have it dvr'd, but haven't watched yet.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

December 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We dvr'd it and just finished watching it. I wouldn't have thought anything of it had I not peeked at this thread earlier.

No, I don't think it was controversial at all(for the same reasons that the others stated) and am curious as to why you only pointed out the "Asian" comment but not the "Jew" comment by Puck.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004

December 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^lmao

And Sandyjoys, I agree: best abs on the show!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search