Taking an infant horseback riding

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post

vs.

That poor, poor child =( I can smell the danger from here!
If that horse even so much as twitched, that mother could pull the baby off of it and move to safety. That isn't as easy when an infant is strapped into a carrier or being held while the mother is ALSO on the back of a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie View Post
Well, since we are going this route, how is taking your baby for a ride different than riding in a car? As long as no one decides to drive crazy and nothing freaky happens, and you keep your eyes on the road you should be fine.

Benefits would be a new experience, new sights, new smells, new sounds, new textures, and more for his little brain to process and think about.
It wouldn't be different from an infant riding in a car, if the infant was sitting in the front seat in it's mother's lap. I am pretty sure that was said earlier. If there was a specific safety device created to keep an infant safe and restrianed on the back of a horse, it would be comparable but there isn't so it's not even an argument.

Your son can't get those benefits by just being near the horses? He has to be on the back of one in order to see the sights, smell the smells, feel the horses hair and experience the beauty of a horse?

December 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Even if she was on the horse (a bigger one obviously) with that baby and had someone leading the horse or walking along side of it, that extra person could pull the baby off just as fast and easily as mom could in this picture.

I was under the assumption that you believed it was irresponsible to put a baby on a horse no matter what. You pretty much said 'irresponsible' to all of the scenario's posed to you.

December 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Because all of the scenarios had the mother on the back of the horse with the child. I was also under the impression that a carrier would be used which would mean the child was strapped to the mother and could not be pulled off of the horse if something were to happen. Even IF a person leading the horse was able to grab the baby, they would have to go from the front of the horse to the side if the horse to grab that child and if the horse was spooked, it would already have it's front legs in the air at that point, especially if the person guiding it's head moved elsewhere.

December 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, I'll never say it's safe. I have been skiing since age 5. I'm really pretty good at it, and can usually predict how I'll do on a slope. But I would never, ever consider holding a child in my arms and skiing down a mountain, even a bunny hill. I view this as pretty much the same thing.
December 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post

vs.

That poor, poor child =( I can smell the danger from here!
That's not even a horse. That's a pony. Much much smaller than the horses i was referring too. That's like comparing putting a child in a car and putting them on a power wheels lol. That child is also bigger than a child i was referring too.

I think i should have posted the video that sparked the debate for me.

Ep. 17 | Sneak Peek | Video | MTV

You can see the very clear difference between holding a baby close to the age of a toddler on the back of a pony and actually having a newborn on the top of a full grown horse and riding yourself. The risks are substantially different which is why the level of irresponsibility is different.

If a child was severely injured or killed in a horseback riding incident, do you not think the parent should be held responsible? What about in a motorcycle accident involving an infant?

It's not about refusing to take risks in life. There is a risk with everything you do. There is a risk when walking down the stairs. But there is a difference between the small risk of doing everyday tasks and the substantial risk of putting your newborn in a dangerous (possibly fatal) situation for no other benefit besides your enjoyment. That's the very definition of child endangerment...putting a child in a substantially risky situation.

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by DramaFreeMama; December 9th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
December 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Yea, I'm not too comfortable with what happened in that clip. It looked like she almost squished her baby when she was mounting. The horse was way too spirited to be riding with the baby, and she kept jerking the reins up, which she was holding a bit too loose, causing the horse to throw his head and making him frustrated. I personally would NOT go on a trail ride with my baby, I don't think that is anywhere near safe.

What she did, and what I proposed and what I plan on doing are very different scenarios. What was shown in the vid fits just about right along with my irresponsible scenario I outlined in another post. While I still don't think it's quite child endangerment, it made me go "Wow, really?".

Last edited by Linzie; December 9th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
December 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yea, I'm not too comfortable with what happened in that clip. It looked like she almost squished her baby when she was mounting. The horse was way too spirited to be riding with the baby, and she kept jerking the reins up, which she was holding a bit too loose, causing the horse to throw his head and making him frustrated. I personally would NOT go on a trail ride with my baby, I don't think that is anywhere near safe.

What she did, and what I proposed and what I plan on doing are very different scenarios. What was shown in the vid fits just about right along with my irresponsible scenario I outlined in another post. While I still don't think it's quite child endangerment, it made me go "Wow, really?".
How is what you're doing so different? She had multiple people standing around and while she wasn't in a corrall (or maybe she was, IDK) you could see a fence the entire time. She didn't go on some long trail ride and she likely thought she was skilled enough and the horse would be calm enough for it to be safe. Once she got on the horse, she realized it was an unsafe situation, tried to control the horse and handed her baby off to her BF.

December 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear4 View Post
How is what you're doing so different? She had multiple people standing around and while she wasn't in a corrall (or maybe she was, IDK) you could see a fence the entire time. She didn't go on some long trail ride and she likely thought she was skilled enough and the horse would be calm enough for it to be safe. Once she got on the horse, she realized it was an unsafe situation, tried to control the horse and handed her baby off to her BF.
#1. I wouldn't be riding a spirited horse.
#2. My baby wouldn't be that young
#3. She had the full intention of going on a full trail ride, as you can see by how they rode off.
#4. There was no one at the head of the horse, as I have stipulated several times.

She did do the right thing by realizing she was riding under unsafe conditions and hand the baby off, I agree with you. The two scenarios are still completely different even though they both pertain to a baby on horseback. It's like riding in a rodeo show and riding on the kiddie ride at the fair. Those two are completely different scenarios, but still pertain to the same thing.

December 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
The video made me a little uncomfortable, but I'm not gonna say she was irresponsible. She didn't anticipate it would be a problem, and when it was she stopped it. I'm sure we've all done things like that - think it'll be fine and realize it's not after we start. The important thing is that she stopped, not that she started. *shrug*
May 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
And another thing. Horseback riding is all about balance. The horse balances the rider, the rider balances the horse. How else could you explain riding bareback? But even with a saddle, the saddle doesn't hold you on. Balance balance balance.
Having a baby strapped to you in a sling or carrier changes your center of balance. If the baby is on your back, that means the baby is sticking out behind the seat of the saddle, which the saddle is not balanced for. Now you AND the saddle are out of balance. With those two things out of balance, the horse will be out of balance. An unbalanced horse is an uncomfortable horse, and an uncomfortable horse is less likely to be on his best behavior. And even if the horse would behave perfectly because it's such a wonderful horse, why would you deliberately make your horse uncomfortable? That's not fair at all.
Do you ride horses? If so have you ever been on a trail ride where you needed to bring a few extra things and maybe wore a backpack or attached saddle pads? How is that any different then having a baby strapped onto you! You make it sound like riding a horse is similar to walking a tight rope! The majority of riders have no idea how to keep their bodies perfectly balanced on a horse, I have been riding since I was 3 years old and consider myself an experienced rider and there are still some days that my balance is off and need to adjust in the saddle, it happens! Horses are sensitive but not to the point that a baby being strapped to you will effect their behavior.
I am currently pregnant and would never ride while pregnant because of the pressure it puts on your cervix. I do however plan to ride with my baby once he or she is old enough to support their own head.
My main concern with riding with a baby would be that the sound of a baby crying could spook the horse, my mare is as bomb proof as they come and I plan to do extensive training with her around the baby before ever attempting to ride with it.
May 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Keepin' it real!
Oh, my oh my...
What did people do in olden times when there were no cars and their only options were to walk or to ride horses?

They'd wrap their infants with them, and they'd ride to their destination. I haven't read many stories where infants were endangered by being on top of a horse with their parent.

I have read thousands of stories where people have died in car accidents, even where carseats were used.

So while it may "SEEM" that it's more dangerous to put a baby on horseback with mom or dad, the truth is that car accidents are one of the leading causes of death, at least in the US.

Yes, we risk our lives just getting up in the morning. Or even sleeping or sitting (as you could get a blood clot). But to tell someone they are irresponsible for putting the baby on a horse when you yourself probably drive a car every day is pretty silly. YOUR babies are more at risk than this woman's baby; no kidding, every single time you put them in your vehicle and back out of your driveway.

CDC - Motor Vehicle Safety

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
May 11th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Have you not been reading my posts? I've already outlined situations where I would feel a person is being responsible in taking an infant on the back of a horse, and where they would be highly irresponsible in taking an infant on the back of a horse. Also, I never said there were any spook-free horses. There are horses with very low risk of shying/spooking. Lots of people have dogs around their infants and children, even though there is still a risk the dog could snap and bite. Are they being irresponsible by having a dog around their children even though there is still a chance the dog could bite and injure one of them?

Responsible situation #1:
-Being in an enclosed, controlled space such as a corral or small area
-Having the horse on a lead with someone at its head, and/or having more people at the sides of the horse.
-Using a trusted, desensitized, low-spook horse
-Not going faster than a walk

Responsible Situation #2:
-Staying very close to the barn/house
-Being in a wide, open area to minimize risk of something popping up and scaring the horse
-Riding with multiple people around you.
-Again, using a calm, trusted, desensitized horse.
-Not going faster than a walk

Irresponsible Situation:
- Using your high-spirited, high-energy horse
- Going faster than a walk
-Going through woods/far away from the house/barn

My mom has pictures somewhere of me and all my siblings on the back of a horse with her. I love looking at those pictures. My aunt has all the pictures from her children, my family, and all my other aunts/uncles who have participated. Infants can't really enjoy going trick-or-treating, but people still do it to make memories. I'm not so quick to call abuse/child endangerment/parental irresponsibility as some, and I'm perfectly ok with that. I won't stop something innocent and fun the whole family will enjoy because of a possible risk of injury. If I did, we wouldn't go to playgrounds, or drive the car, and I wouldn't let my children help me cook, and we wouldn't have animals.
AGREE. ESPECIALLY TO THE BOLDED. I'd like to hear what the dog lovers say....I know for a fact family dogs, even trained ones, have potential to bite. Probably MORE often than horses will buck off their riders.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
May 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I didn't read anything other than the original post. I have ridden for 16 years. It doesn't matter how dead broke the horse is. Until my child is large enough to control the animal on their own they have no business being on a horse. Well, except to snap a quick picture. I did that once. I had my husband hold her on my horse bareback, for 2 seconds and he never let go and I took my pic and then she was off in an instant. But they are just too unpredictable. It's not worth the risk IMO.

June 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have taken my son (4 1/2 months) riding 4 times with me. The first time he was about 3 months old and I was using a sling inside our local arena, the second and third time i had him sitting on my lap with his feet over the saddle, and the fourth time he was on my back in a sling on a trail ride...he loved everytime and my horse did amazing. I feel as though many people talking about this topic have no horse experience and are just reacting to that video (which I haven't seen). I have been riding for 17 years and have had my horse for 13 years that I do rodeo on. He is a great horse but can be hott at times- however, never to the point where i felt uncomfortable putting my son on the horse with me. If anything, a child (in my opinion) would be more safe on the horse with an experienced riding as opposed to being held up their. Usually when horses spook they jump sideways not rare up (with their feet in the air), and holding on to a baby in your lap is much easier than trying to hold the baby on a horse that is taller than you and moving away from you quickly. They are flight animals, but most just move sideways when they spook and look to see what it was and then go from their...they dont just dart away. Also, having someone lead a rider and a baby is a good idea, but not necessarily having many people around the horse- that will just make the horse nervous and increase the likelyhood of the horse spooking. If your calm the horse is calm. If you dont have experience with riding or your horse is new or just a spooky horse in general, then yea, taking your infant riding is NOT good idea- but for experienced riders with good horses, i think it is completely fine! Also, like anything, getting the horse exposed to a baby is aid in their desensitization just like getting the baby used to horses. the more your do it the more comfortable they will be.

Also- the bit on staying balanced...what a joke! something that small and close to you will not necessarily make you off balance- as long as your walking and not trying to do some speed or agility event then i don't think that really comes into play. I agree that many riders are not balanced riders and sure the horse can become uncomfortable- but not with a small baby- how do you think trick riding horses manage the rider? they adjust just like the rider does.

I am all for taking your baby riding, as long as it is in a safe environment and the rider and horse as experienced.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search