sex selection

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
MummyTo2Boys&1Girl's Avatar Loving my baby boy
i was watching a programme on IVF and choosing the sex of the embro that they implant back in to the lady, do you agree they should be able to choose??

there were 2 couple:

the first had had 4 boy a and wanted a girl, so they went to a country where they were allowed to choose the sex that was implanted back into the lady (not allowed to choose her in the UK, not sure about anywhere else)

the second had lost 5 pregnancies which were all grils and they lady had had testing and it was determind that she couldnt carry girls, and therefore had paid to find out the sex of the embryo and ha a boy implanted back inside

opionions????

Jack Anthony Richard White

December 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it's for medical reasons I don't really have a problem with it. For personal preference reasons.... I think it's a slippery slope issue.

December 22nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For medical reasons, I'm fine w/ it. The other... well, I guess if you have enough money. It's hard to imagine anyone going through IVF just to get a certain gender though.

December 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
foxfire_ga79
I'm totally Ok with it in a society like ours, that doesn't seem to put generalized preference to one gender over the other. (As opposed to a country like China where only one child is preferred and that one child is preferred to be male....)
I don't think in America it would mess up our population because I haven't noticed that we put emphasis on one gender being more desired than the other.
I can totally understand having 3 or 4 of one gender and wishing to have just 1 of the other gender. I'd want a guarantee for that too.
December 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It doesn't bother me at all that people want to choose the gender of their kids.

December 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't have chosen that unless with had genetic factors that would effect one gender verses another. It's a costly process that not all clinics are willing and able to provide for their patients. I also wouldn't judge someone who chooses this for themselves. IVF is a very costly process and for many they may have saved up and this is their only shot to have children (there is no we'll try again later for the boy/girl) they may think it would be best to try to transfer one of each gender in the hopes that both will make it or to transfer only boys if they are the last of a family line.

December 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's something we should be determining. You have the gender baby you have for a reason.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
foxfire_ga79
And what reason is that?
December 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
^ That's what I was wondering, too.

December 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
If someone else wanted to do it...oh well, it doesn't bother me.

Personally, I would never do it. Whatever gender we have is meant to be..even if we have 5 boys. We plan on having more kids and even though, I would love a girl at some point, I will leave it up to what is meant to be.

December 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
foxfire_ga79
How does anybody know "what's meant to be?"
December 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
As a lovely heathen atheist, I have no problem with it on the embryonic level. I'm just not a fan of interrupting a progressing pregnancy (or baby's life) for that reason.

The "just wanted a girl" one should be able to do it if someone's willing to negotiate a price. The "can't carry girls" one should have it covered by health insurance if it covers infertility.

If you have IVF done, you already "tempting fate" with regard to what events are meant to be.

Unless the technology becomes inexpensive enough for the common person to easily gain access to it, it's not likely to mess with necessary male to female ratios.

Last edited by Jintana; December 22nd, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
December 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Whats meant to be is whats meant to be... plain and simple. We dont know the reason for everything, so thats a silly question.

December 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In this day and age of medical advances and technology, the door was opened to possibilities and options. In a society where a particular gender isn't prefered over the other, I see no harm. It's no different than doing genetic testing to make sure the embryo is healthy in terms of knowing something in advance. It's not like it's available to everybody and the cost alone will deter many, but there are so many reasons why people may prefer a specific gender over another. What if you carry the genes for a disease specific to a gender (i.e. hemophilia, Fragile X, etc) and want to ensure that you don't have a son that can be affected by the disease?

Personal choice and to each their own.
December 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
Whats meant to be is whats meant to be... plain and simple. We dont know the reason for everything, so thats a silly question.
How do you know the couple wasn't meant to choose the gender of their child?

December 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know. I do know that sperm implanting in the egg and creating a specific gender is natural, and in my eyes, meant to be.

December 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't do it but if you want to do it go ahead.

December 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
Um, no Sweetie. It's not plain and simple. You don't just shrug your shoulders and say "oh it's not meant to be." If those people have the money and the doctors have the skills to provide them with a baby of the gender of their choice then obviously it IS meant to be.
And if we're going to do the medical interventions are bad song and dance, then I hope you apply that to every last aspect of your life. If you develop high blood pressure, do NOT take medication for it because what's meant to be will be. If your husband has a heart attack do NOT do CPR, let him die because what's meant to be is meant to be. If your child gets leukemia don't you dare get any treatment for it because what's meant to be will be. Do those situations sound stupid to you?

We were given brains to think with and free will to make choices. So obviously the things we've learned how to do and are choosing to do were meant to be. Plain and simple, silly for anyone else to think otherwise.

Last edited by foxfire_ga79; December 23rd, 2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Grammer, sheesh. lol
December 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteys*wife View Post

there were 2 couple:

the first had had 4 boy a and wanted a girl, so they went to a country where they were allowed to choose the sex that was implanted back into the lady (not allowed to choose her in the UK, not sure about anywhere else)

NO

the second had lost 5 pregnancies which were all grils and they lady had had testing and it was determind that she couldnt carry girls, and therefore had paid to find out the sex of the embryo and ha a boy implanted back inside

YES

opionions????
No to the 1st because while someone might think they prefer a certain gender, they may end up being very happy with whatever they end up with, I don't know anyone who regrets any of their children, whether they are the sex they hoped for or not. Babies are babies. Yes to the 2nd because I think everyone deserves to have children if they really want and have the ability to care for them. For this 2nd couple it may be their only chance for children.
December 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I'm totally Ok with it in a society like ours, that doesn't seem to put generalized preference to one gender over the other. (As opposed to a country like China where only one child is preferred and that one child is preferred to be male....)
I don't think in America it would mess up our population because I haven't noticed that we put emphasis on one gender being more desired than the other.
I can totally understand having 3 or 4 of one gender and wishing to have just 1 of the other gender. I'd want a guarantee for that too.
It is interesting that you say that... This is purely anecdotal, but I've been researching adoption for several years now and you would be surprised how many people want baby girls (American and Canadian adoption) whether it's domestic or international.

And actually, though in the past, boys have been more numerous than girls in the world, I've heard very recently, even on the radio, that overall the world is welcoming more and more female babies (more than male) and that eventually it will be an issue. No one is certain why this is happening, but it is. Hey, maybe the beach boys were onto something when they sang "2 girls for every boy"

Last edited by MindyRambo; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search