Log In Sign Up

pageants


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #2  
February 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
I really am not okay with pageants, however do seem them as "okay" in some circumstances.

I really am not keen on the idea of judging a kids looks, but if someone must do it, I think the low-key, no makeup, no glitz wear is okay. I wouldn't do it, but at least it's little kids in regular kids clothes with no makeup.

As for glitz pageants... highly against them. I don't think sexualizing little boys and girls are okay. Wearing makeup to make them "better," with fake teeth just is not okay with me. It doesn't seem right. Plus... the money some parents spend on pageants and getting ready for them is NUTS! I think it's money better spent towards a college education or some sport/activity the kids like. That's just me though.
__________________
HTML Code:
<a href="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085"><img src="http://www.viravent.com/8/1085/cntdwn.png"/></a>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
February 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
It's whack. And if I ever tried to enter Jace in a beauty pageant... I hope he slaps me across the face.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
February 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mom of 2 boys!
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,085
If I had a girl, I would probably try some pageants. But, I wouldn't do a glitz one. I like the town pageants or the theme ones like Miss. Valentine or a Christmas one.
__________________





Last edited by RTMOM; February 28th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
February 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,028
I would not put Katie in pageants because I just know that it would not be a good fit for her. She is far too free spirited to wear big hair and fake teeth and big poofy dresses.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
February 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingston, NY
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
I really am not okay with pageants, however do seem them as "okay" in some circumstances.

I really am not keen on the idea of judging a kids looks, but if someone must do it, I think the low-key, no makeup, no glitz wear is okay. I wouldn't do it, but at least it's little kids in regular kids clothes with no makeup.

As for glitz pageants... highly against them. I don't think sexualizing little boys and girls are okay. Wearing makeup to make them "better," with fake teeth just is not okay with me. It doesn't seem right. Plus... the money some parents spend on pageants and getting ready for them is NUTS! I think it's money better spent towards a college education or some sport/activity the kids like. That's just me though.
Ditto.

If my daughter ever expressed interest, I would let her do some (not the glitz ones though). See how she likes it.
__________________

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!





Reply With Quote
  #8  
February 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,617
I'm completely against them. I think tournaments, talent shows or games are a great place for children and adults to compete and learn that win/lose lesson and team work lesson.

Beauty pagaents are awful IMO and I don't see a positive reason for them at all. (Except if it's for fun (no competition) and done for charity )
__________________
A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the
present, and the hope and promise of the future.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
March 1st, 2011, 03:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson, MA
Posts: 12,814
I think if a kid shows an interest, then ok once in awhile. But making a career out of it for a kid, doing multiple pageants, etc - you are installing an importance on appearance and competition. I can't see how you can "keep it fun" when your life revolves around the pageants.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #10  
March 1st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,283
I did pageants from the time I was born until I was a teen. I loved them and wouldn't hesitate to put my child in one.
__________________
Brandy(33)
DH-Jeremy(32)
DS-Noah(9)
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

Reply With Quote
  #11  
March 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
I'm against them. I don't think kids, or anyone for that matter, should be judged on their looks. There are far better things to compete in like dance, sports, etc.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #12  
March 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Let's start by clarifying that pageants aren't just about looks. Those girls are supposed to have a talent and they are also judged on interests and character. I know this because I have allowed my daughter to participate in natural pageants. I wouldn't in a million years go for the glitz insanity. Hair pieces? Flippers? A spray tan? More make up than a hooker? NOT acceptable.
But a nice dress, a cute hair style and some light make up to accentuate what's already there, I see as harmless fun as long as the girl is able to understand that even if she doesn't win she's still beautiful. If the girl would take it as a rejection then I would say don't set her up for a fall.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
March 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
If it's more than just looks, then why do they have to dress up? Can't they just judge them on their talent then no matter if they have a cute dress on or not?
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #14  
March 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
If it's more than just looks, then why do they have to dress up? Can't they just judge them on their talent then no matter if they have a cute dress on or not?
Exactly. As for the talent portion... It looks like they spend two seconds perfecting it but spend 204294949034893293839 hours perfecting their makeup, tan, teeth, hair, walking, smiling, and waving= a lot of wasted braincells.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
March 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,967
I wouldn't enter them unless my daughter wanted to but I don't have the $$ to afford what those people do on Toddlers and Tiaras. I don't have a problem with a parent that wants to...it's their choice.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
March 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Um, they only put on the dresses for the formal wear portion of the pageant. And no they won't be judged on just talent because it's not a talent show. It's a BEAUTY contest. Physical beauty isn't the only beauty they look at, but they're not looking for someone who can only do one thing.
And back to the issue of spending so much time on hair and make up, again, I only allowed my daughter to participate in natural pageants where hair pieces and flippers and obviously overdone make up were forbidden. I also enter her mainly in contests where all participants get a tiara and large trophy just for participating and they are announced as if they did win something.

As far as the glitz thing goes, I can't stand it what so ever. But natural pageants are a totally different ball game and I don't think they should be vilified like the glitz ones are.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
March 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Um, they only put on the dresses for the formal wear portion of the pageant. And no they won't be judged on just talent because it's not a talent show. It's a BEAUTY contest. Physical beauty isn't the only beauty they look at, but they're not looking for someone who can only do one thing.
And back to the issue of spending so much time on hair and make up, again, I only allowed my daughter to participate in natural pageants where hair pieces and flippers and obviously overdone make up were forbidden. I also enter her mainly in contests where all participants get a tiara and large trophy just for participating and they are announced as if they did win something.

As far as the glitz thing goes, I can't stand it what so ever. But natural pageants are a totally different ball game and I don't think they should be vilified like the glitz ones are.
Exactly, and I doubt they are saying at the judges table "well this little girl is beautiful on the inside". No, they're judging her on the curls her mom put in her hair that morning, and the dress she has on. Natural pagents are not better in my book. They are still judging a little girl, or boy, on their natural beauty. That is what a beauty pagent is. It's not a talent show, it's a pagent based on looks whether natural or all dolled up. I'm against both. I would rather children be in things like dance, sports, talent shows, etc. Things that are not based on beauty.

ETA: I have seen glitz and natural pagents. They are both still getting judged on their looks, and the talent portion is very short and not all have a talent portion anyways.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella

Last edited by HappyHippy; March 1st, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
March 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
It's a BEAUTY contest. Physical beauty isn't the only beauty they look at, but they're not looking for someone who can only do one thing.
Huh?
Beauty is indicative of external attractiveness. Whether you want to call intelligence, poise, etc, internal beauty, it is not. Beauty pageants measure external features. Unless your child is taking math tests or submitting her SAT scores in addition to being judged for her beauty, it is just a beauty pageant.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
March 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Whatever you ladies want to think is fine by me. My daughter and her friends have been doing pageants for years now and I know first hand what goes on there, not just what was edited for me to see on TV in the allotted time constraints. Obviously though, you must know more than I do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0