Shared school supplies

Forum: Heated Debates

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
The more years I have multiple kids in school the more I wish we would do shared supplies. I would much rather be responsible for going out and buying 40 pkgs of crayons than having to do these silly individual lists for each of them.
It doesn't work that way here. Shared supplies means kids get an individual list(same list) and once you buy whats on the list, those supplies are shared.
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
August 13th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Fallen2Love View Post
Are shared school supplies fair to all students and families? Would you be upset about shared supplies? If so, how upset would you be on a scale of 1-10 (10 most upset, 1 just a little upset)?

DD's school does shared supplies for ALL grades, ALL supplies. Including items intended for personal use (homework folders, communication binders, daily folder). DD is having a *very* hard time understanding that she most likely will not be able to use the blue folders that she picked out. I'm very willing to donate extra supplies to the classroom, but I'm very upset that DD can't use the folders she picks out. I can't give her a good reason why she can't buy the graphic folders and binders (the dogs, cats, toy story, etc). And chances are she wont be able to use the solid colored ones she picks out either. Aside from that is the brand - quality issue. :/ Ya know - spend extra for plastic prong folders and have her come home with a paper prong folder that lasts a few weeks before looking like crap! On top of that, I've been told that teachers will CROSS OUT a child's name written on products and write another child's name on the supply. I can't even begin to explain how angry I would be to have that come home. I'd purchase a new product.
Crossing off a student’s name and putting another student’s name on private property is stealing. I would have a field day if anyone ever tried pulling that with my child's private property. Communal school supplies is ONLY acceptable when parents willing agree to participate or when the school supplies everything. Anything that parents buy is considered private property.
August 18th, 2015, 07:54 AM
BlueMoon82's Avatar Super Moderator
I have five children. My oldest starts college this year and my youngest will start K next year. Over the many years I have had children in school I have come to the conclusion that I do not like the shared school supplies.

I agree with many of the points already made. Off the top of my head, about buying quality supplies for your children and them coming home with cheaper items. That I didn't have the "best of" everything when I was in school and accepting that as a part of life. I also do not like how some children are full of destruction and will destroy those communal supplies for other children, let them destroy their own stuff, not everyone elses. Also, about things running out in the middle of the year and having to buy more stuff because other parents didn't provide those items at the beginning of the year. I agree that children should not be brought up with the mindset that they have a right to what belongs to someone else.

Contrary to what another posted said about Dollar Tree crayons harming the woman's son that bought Crayola, some parents prefer certain brands for their children and that's OK. Some parents are concerned with chemicals, environmental issues, etc. and choose to spend more money on their children's things to prevent or reduce risk or concerns. Using an example unrelated to school to try to put this in a perspective this poster will understand, I don't use disposable diapers or send my kids to daycare anymore but if I did I don't think it's be right or fair to buy Pampers brand diapers and wipes for my kid (for any or no reason at all but especially for reasons like sensitivity) but to see they were in Walmart brand diapers when I picked them up. Same with clothes...my children will be wearing name brand clothes to school, should we have to pool all their clothes together so no one feels jealous or left out? NO, that's ridiculous. I shopped sales and stacked discount codes or coupons, or shopped outlets and got a bunch of stuff for less money than shopping for clothes at Walmart. My boyfriend works his butt off for his state job, that he went to school for and tested for (getting highest in the state), and worked his way up the past 11-12 years to be in the regional "boss" position he's in. He does not like being told how to and who to spend the money on that he works so hard to earn. My children picked out the stuff they wanted to wear or they liked we spent the money on it, my children should be able to wear those clothes and use those supplies.

I do not mind donating supplies for classroom use (like tissues) because it's a lot easier to donate a couple boxes of tissues that I KNOW my children are also going to use. Or even the white board markers because I know they're expensive and the teachers don't have a lot of money and my children benefit from the teacher having those. Each year I buy extra supplies and ask the teachers if there are any children that are maybe having a hard time having the supplies they need and buy those for an anonymous donation, but being told I HAVE to provide supplies for other children ticks me off. I want my children to use the supplies we bought for them and/or they picked out.

I write my kids' names on everything, not because I think the teachers would "steal" it but because the kids lose stuff and at the beginning of year everything is new and things get confused. If they came home with their name on something else I'd be irritated and it would be something I'd discuss with the teachers.
JAMIE: Mama to five & one on the way. In love with a hero.
I love making a home for my man in uniform and my children.
Baby W: ~9PO Surprise BFP; ~20DPO HCG=4236, GS= ~7MM;
~24DPO GS 1.18CM, YS 0.23CM; Due 01/10/15!
07/22: It's a girl! 08/14: She's perfect & healthy! 09/04: She's 91%. DD moved to 01/5
My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice.
The views expressed in my posts have no relation to those of any institution with which I am affiliated

Last edited by BlueMoon82; August 18th, 2015 at 07:59 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search