Public Schools

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would you support a public school system that taught less traditional academics and more hands on, real world applications? Like teaching children how to fix electronics, teaching kids how to fix cars, do plumbing, carpentry, etc. Obviously not every subject can be taught that way, like geography, but what about other studies like english or math?

Would our future generations benefit more by learning skills that they can apply to real life rather than the way they are taught now through text books, testing and lectures?
August 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
as long as it taught them the fundamentals to get into university should they choose to become a doctor or lawyer, then sure.

kids today seem to learn better hands on. I can stare at an electronic for a lifetime and I'm still not going to know how to fix it, give me a human body, and I'd fare much better.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
August 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a public school teacher. I teach HS French and Earth Science (nice combo right?) and I say "absolutely!" I think more of us (teachers) wish we had the means/funds/technology/equiment to make it happen.
August 12th, 2011, 07:32 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
We already have public high schools like that in NYC. But they're closing most of them now. I think it's good to have vocational schools for kids. It helps them learn some sort of trait if they don't want to take the college route.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not all teacher teach using testing, text books and lecture.

Is there way too much emphasis on The Test? Yes.
Do plenty of teachers teach focusing on the test? Yes. Unfortunately.

There are teachers out there who do actually teach how they know the kids will learn. There are quite a few teachers who do try to do more project based learning, and around here, there are whole schools that go toward that approach.

Do we need vocational electives back in schools? Yes. Absolutely.

Should they be in place of other academic classes? Nope.

One of the reasons vocational classes were taken out was because it ended up being minorities and low income students being pushed into these classes. Obviously, that was not ok. Then a huge push came to get everyone taking academic classes. It was good in some ways, but kids need more choice and more exposure to all different types of things.

August 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes
August 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say maybe do half and half? There are still some people who learn better reading than doing hands on stuff. There are names for each type of learning, I forget what they are and am too lazy to look em up.

I personally would love a few of my kids to have hands on learning. A couple do just fine so far with traditional learning though too.

August 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
I would whole heartedly support a school teaching kids those basics. In my county in Virginia, the high school kids had the option to go to a votech school their junior and senior years. My ex husband graduated high school already a certified arc and shield welder. Others graduated high school as mechanics and LPNs.
And I would love for more agriculture to be taught. Too many of us are too removed from the land. We need to get back to growing some basic things in a garden, or if you can't have a garden, put a few tomato plants in nice pots on your porch. Plant a fruit tree or blueberry bush somewhere in your yard. I'm learning all this homesteading stuff the hard way by trial and error. Luckily my kids are learning it along with me so they'll know when it's their turn.
Don't get me wrong, books are very important. They don't need to drop those all together. Just, bring some more hands on stuff for real life lessons. Sometime this school year I'm going to bring my incubator to the school my kids go to so all the kids there (it's a private school, only about 60 kids total this year) can watch them develop and then hatch. You can't get THAT from a book.
Anyhoo, off my soap box. lol
August 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Absolutely! I will support a school using a combination of any and all methods to help a child learn. I also don't have a problem with having separate schools for the college-bound and for those who would like to learn vocational skills, either.

August 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran
I think it would be great if Home Ec was required. (For boys too not just girls) So many people my age that I know do not know how to cook a simple meal and go out to fast food 4-5 times a week. They other days they are eating ramen noodles. It would be great if students were taught how to cook their own meals. I would include nutrition in with it. Some one in my apartment complex thinks fruit snacks are healthy >.< It would also be great to show kids a nutrition chart of fast food items. I think this could help with the obesity problem. Of course, there will still be students that do not care and will still continue to eat unhealthy.

Also part of it, or even another class, how to balance a check book, manage money, budget.

Maybe even include other simple things, like ironing, sowing (I had to go to work one time and a button fell off my khackie, I managed to do a hack job sowing it back on)

And it would be a nice easy fun class for most kids.

I've always thought that by your junior year you should be allowed to take classes that are geared towards what you would like to as a career. I know many kids have not idea at that point, but maybe they can use their last two years of high school to explore different options.

Last edited by Rinchan; August 14th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
August 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it should be an option but not the only option. Some kids are meant for vocations will others are meant for a full college experience. My high school had both. My sister went through a CNA program, was certified and got a job right after high school. I took a 2 hour block class for accounting & computer programming. My 1st 2 years of college were a breeze because I had already learned everything in high school.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I'm all for it, tactile learning is very beneficial especially for some people. I almost went to a technical HS.
August 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchan View Post
I think it would be great if Home Ec was required. (For boys too not just girls) So many people my age that I know do not know how to cook a simple meal and go out to fast food 4-5 times a week. They other days they are eating ramen noodles. It would be great if students were taught how to cook their own meals. I would include nutrition in with it. Some one in my apartment complex thinks fruit snacks are healthy >.< It would also be great to show kids a nutrition chart of fast food items. I think this could help with the obesity problem. Of course, there will still be students that do not care and will still continue to eat unhealthy.

Also part of it, or even another class, how to balance a check book, manage money, budget.

Maybe even include other simple things, like ironing, sowing (I had to go to work one time and a button fell off my khackie, I managed to do a hack job sowing it back on)

And it would be a nice easy fun class for most kids.

I've always thought that by your junior year you should be allowed to take classes that are geared towards what you would like to as a career. I know many kids have not idea at that point, but maybe they can use their last two years of high school to explore different options.
Home ec is mandatory where I grew up, but in 7th grade, not high school.

to be honest, you can teach them to cook, doesn't mean they CAN cook. Both my brothers took home ec in high school for 2 years. One can cook meat and potatoes, the other can bake. But they cannot do the other despite the course. In fact, they're likely to burn the house down if they try.

So I do not think it should be mandatory to learn to cook, and clean and sew. It should be optional. call it sexist if you will, my DF doesn't need to know how to sew, because I do. and even if he did know (I've seen his attempts) I'd still do it because I am good at it, and enjoy it. He doesn't need to know how to cook either, the kitchen is my domain and I like being there. Cleaning, is a necessity. I sit down to pee, I refuse to clean pee off the floor around the toilet, that's his job. In the house I grew up in, Dad did the sewing because mom was awful at it, dad was also the better cook, but did it less because he wasn't home as much.

We also had a mandatory course where we learned the basics like nutrition, budget, how to balance a check book, sex ed, and phys ed in high school, it was called PAL/CALM Physically Active Lifestyles and Career and Life Management. You took one half of the year of each in 10th grade.

Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

August 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Since you all know I had an exclusive, private school education and that makes me the smartest of all I would like to comment. Yes, this is a fantastic idea. Most of my school days were filled with memorization. We repeated the same facts, history dates and math equations over and over until the test after which we promptly forgot them all. Definitely a ridiculous way to "learn".
When it comes to multiplication tables memorization is key but wouldn't it have been awesome if someone had painted the entire table on the playground in a hopscotch fashion? Maybe even the periodic table? Making something monotonous into something fun would be a novel concept for children and badly needed.
The lessons I learned that either came from real life experiences or hands-on examples I still remember to this day. I could not, however, tell you when Napoleon invaded Russia.

August 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Since you all know I had an exclusive, private school education and that makes me the smartest of all I would like to comment. Yes, this is a fantastic idea. Most of my school days were filled with memorization. We repeated the same facts, history dates and math equations over and over until the test after which we promptly forgot them all. Definitely a ridiculous way to "learn".
When it comes to multiplication tables memorization is key but wouldn't it have been awesome if someone had painted the entire table on the playground in a hopscotch fashion? Maybe even the periodic table? Making something monotonous into something fun would be a novel concept for children and badly needed.
The lessons I learned that either came from real life experiences or hands-on examples I still remember to this day. I could not, however, tell you when Napoleon invaded Russia.

Oh that sounds like fun!
August 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
I never memorized the tables. Not as a child. I was taught to multiply with my fingers. That's about as hands on as you can get I think!

for any one curious:

Finger systems

I've never used the top way, just the 6-9 way...

and ftr.. i didn't even know Napoleon invaded Russia, not sure I ever once studied him. lol.

August 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
foxfire_ga79
The 69 way, huh?
August 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
The 69 way, huh?

August 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM
rotflmao! hahaha... noooo.. the 6 to 9 there's a - in there!

August 15th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I am all for having as many options as possible when it comes to education. There are 3 options in Maine - your local public school (if you don't like it you can move) - private or home school.

It seems unreasonable to me that most kids are taught in the same fashion whether they want to become a welder or a brain surgeon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search