Smoking parents = Smoking children?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
My mom quit in 2000, my dad has never smoked. I smoke, my brother doesn't.

I'd be interested in seeing something more solid about a possible ADD/smoking correlation.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
August 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Does it = smoking children? No. Does it increase the chances of children smoking sometimes in their life? Sure.

I tried my first ciggy when I was 12, because it was accessible to me. I feel like children naturally look up to their parents, and are much more likely to act and do as their parents do.

I smoked for a few years in my late teens and early twenties. I have quit since then, but every once in a blue moon I crave one (like tonight, after Jace threw the biggest tantrum in public, evaaarrrr).
August 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran
I think this is another study that doesn't really conclude much of anything. I think those who become smokers, those who try, those who smoke for a short time, those who don't smoke, and those who are repulsed by it, pretty much cancel each other out.

My annecdotal evidence story...
My biological parents (who "raised" me), as well as my step-dad, were all life-long chain smokers. They were all out of my life by the time I was 16. I smoked for 1 year, from mid 2009 to mid 2010, in-between 2 pregnancies, at 21yrs old, 5 years after the only smokers in my life were out of it. It was just a coping mechanism for me. I had lost my daughters to stillbirth, had 3 miscarriages, and had left my abusive fiance. One of the guys from the moving company offered me a cigarette while we took a break, and that's where it started. I smoked for a year before developing asthma, which forced me to quit. I'm about to celebrate 1 year smoke free on Monday.

All that to say, my so-called "parents" having been smokers played no role in me smoking. Life circumstances and my addictive personality did.
August 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Do you think parents who smoke are more likely to have children who will be smokers?
Not necessarily.

Why or why not?

Well, my Aunt smokes, in the house and car, has all my life, my cousin smokes too......my Uncle drinks....my Cousin drinks.
My mom smokes, in house and car, but I never have, and wont. My dad has always been into partying, drugs, drinking, etc. My mom used to be........i am not, and will not ever. My sister and brother both drink. My other brother was heavy into drinking and drugs....and is now dead because of said drugs. Soooo I think if you do that stuff its possible your kids will, but its possible that they wont.

Last edited by tjsgirl; August 26th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
August 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
ka-chow's Avatar back again, again
Both parents smoked horribly. (both died in their 60's also)

Of the 4 kids, I'm the only one who is not a smoker, and has never even tried smoking.

I can see how statistically its true that they are MORE LIKELY to smoke, but it doesnt mean they WILL.

August 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM
mommabirdof4
Just from my own experience....

My father is and always has been a very heavy smoker...he was a single father so we were always around him...and neither me or my brother have ever smoked.

My husband's father,mother, and both grandparents smoke/d (his grandfather has passed) and he has also never smoked.
September 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
I have never been a smoker, but from my experience with friends it has done one of two things, either they ended up smoking, or they ended up being 10000% against smoking. It seems like there is no middle of the road, like I find there is with people I have known that are raised in non-smoking households and are more like "meh, whatever, not for me but do what you want."
I've found ^^^ to be true with most people I know. I've never encountered someone who was in the middle ground. Most of my friends/acquaintances who grew up around smokers, smoke, but a few of them are disgusted by it. Growing up around a LOT of smoking has made me 10000000000% against it. I hate everything about it. I've raised my daughter to automatically hold her breath and RUN away from someone who is smoking. LOL. I'm fairly confident that she will never smoke.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
September 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Regular
ive seen both sides. growing up [up until age 10 and 11], my brother and i HATED how our parents smoked. we would complain when they bought a pack at the store. complain when they lit up [never around us, thankfully]. we would always ask them to quit, etc etc. we both would absolutely never smoke.

but right next door is my aunt.. and her daughter smokes just like her.
September 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom smoked outside while I was growing up. I tried it and hated cigs. I did smoke Black and Milds for about a year. My sister and I do not smoke now.

I don't like it anymore, but I do not care who does it as long as it is outside.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search