Log In Sign Up

CA Scholarships for Undocumented Students?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,810
California Considers Scholarships for Undocumented Students - TIME

Quote:
An estimated 20,000 undocumented students graduate from high school each year in California, about one-third of the nationwide total, according to the UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education. Only 5% to 10% of them continue on to college. That's because most are from poor families and can't afford it. Until last month, they were unable to receive scholarships of any kind, even if they qualified. That changed when Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill making undocumented students eligible for privately-funded grants. Now, a bill being dubbed the second round of the California Dream Act would allow these students to receive state-funded scholarships that draw from a larger and more reliable pool of money. (Dream stands for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors.) It could double the number of undocumented students who attend college
Thoughts on this? Good use of taxpayer $ or should scholarships be reserved for citizens and those here legally? Or is this actually a smart idea to help motivate/invest in what may be talented future U.S. citizens?
__________________
Lara

Savannah Stylin!





Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 31st, 2011, 09:56 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
How are people who are here illegally able to register for college let alone qualify for grants?

As far as the OP goes privately funded grants can set their own rules as to who is eligible for them.

for publicly funded grants a student should hold citizen status. I don't think public funds should go towards anyone who doesn't hold citizen status, including foreign nationals who hold proper student visa status as well as those who don't.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 31st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post

for publicly funded grants a student should hold citizen status.
I agree. There are plenty of citizens that need those scholarships. I don't see it as investing in our country's future at all

ETA I assumed that "undocumented" meant illegal as well. Legal students would have student visas something like that as documentation.
__________________
~Suzi

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!


Last edited by justarandomname47; September 1st, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 1st, 2011, 02:40 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,608
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I beg to differ. It will take me a minimum 5 years to obtain status as a citizen even though I will be a legal resident of the US by December. If I was bringing a child with me who was in high school, they should be able to qualify for scholarships and grants like anyone else who is here LEGALLY. Considering the fact anyone here legally has paid up to ten grand for a single person to be permitted to live here, grants and scholarships may be their ONLY way to go to college.

If they aren't legal, then no, they should not qualify.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
If you aren't here illegally, you should not get any of America's benefits.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 1st, 2011, 07:12 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: where chili has beans
Posts: 13,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
If you aren't here illegally, you should not get any of America's benefits.
I think you want to edit this! Cause I'm quite certain that's not what you meant to type.
__________________
Ashley, mommy to Mackenzie 01/01/08

Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
So you feel that students who are here on a student visa status should obtain benefits paid for by public funds? Part of your decision on making a huge move such as to another country is to research and ensure how it would effect your child and to ensure you have all bases covered prior to moving. It's not my responsibility to fund your choice to move and place your child into a higher education system, sorry.

Grants and scholarships are not the only way to attend college. There are private student loans available to assist with paying for school or working and paying as you go or delay starting school until you have saved enough. If you are unable to afford a higher cost school then go to a community college or in-state state school. There are a ton of alternate options out there that are not taxpayer dependent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
I beg to differ. It will take me a minimum 5 years to obtain status as a citizen even though I will be a legal resident of the US by December. If I was bringing a child with me who was in high school, they should be able to qualify for scholarships and grants like anyone else who is here LEGALLY. Considering the fact anyone here legally has paid up to ten grand for a single person to be permitted to live here, grants and scholarships may be their ONLY way to go to college.

If they aren't legal, then no, they should not qualify.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,129
What about investing in the future of our country with the people who are here legally? Why do they get the shaft?
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
I think it's great! So much scholarship money goes to waste each year... I would bet millions of dollars. So many kids around here piss and party around, don't give a fu ck about their education--- So I completely agree with giving it to kids who deserve it, even illegal immigrants. In fact, I know a kid who is here illegally and is able to go to a community college that he drives 2 hours each way. Now that's what I call dedication and a good example to lazy ***** kids these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
What about investing in the future of our country with the people who are here legally? Why do they get the shaft?
They get the shaft because they don't work hard enough to win scholarships or work hard enough to research and apply to any? Waa?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,608
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
So you feel that students who are here on a student visa status should obtain benefits paid for by public funds? Part of your decision on making a huge move such as to another country is to research and ensure how it would effect your child and to ensure you have all bases covered prior to moving. It's not my responsibility to fund your choice to move and place your child into a higher education system, sorry.

Grants and scholarships are not the only way to attend college. There are private student loans available to assist with paying for school or working and paying as you go or delay starting school until you have saved enough. If you are unable to afford a higher cost school then go to a community college or in-state state school. There are a ton of alternate options out there that are not taxpayer dependent.
Um, I will be also funding that program through taxes since I will be employed. Why should my (theoretical) child get the shaft for something their parents contribute towards because they haven't been here long enough to take the citizenship test?

I get my work visa before I even have my 2 year green card. I can legally work in the US before I can legally live here. My children, and myself should be able to partake in ANY program as long as I have contributed to it.

So what you're saying is, an honor roll, ideal student should have to take out an interest based loan rather than accept a scholarship they obviously qualified for because they aren't an actual citizen. So rather than accept the money that is being awarded to them based on achievement, they should learn the other lesson of debt instead. That makes no sense to me. Legal is legal regardless of citizenship.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
The state of Georgia just had a major overhaul done on scholarship and grant awards. MANY legal citizens have been cut off right in the middle of their degrees. HOPE scholarships don't even allow anyone to go as far as an associates degree anymore. If you even qualify anymore, they'll get you "certified" in something, but you have to buy all your books on your own, pay all fees, and 10% of your tuition. And I'll be honest with you, tuition is the least of your concerns when you need a $200 algebra book and a $400 A&P book, then have to pay a $39 registration fee and a $55 "technology" fee. And that's just 1 semester. Repeat that 3 times a year, for 2 semesters and a summer quarter.
Sounds to me like the state of Georgia really REALLY needs to start funding illegals, since they obviously have enough to cover the college students that are citizens and ALREADY STARTED COLLEGE.
I like the idea of everyone who wants to go to college getting that chance. It shouldn't be so dam expensive to begin with. But if legal citizens are getting turned down in favor of illegals, that's just plain wrong. If scholarship money is not going to use, let anyone who wants to use it do so. Just don't brush American citizens aside to place a higher priority on someone who could end up being deported, then it's a total loss to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,608
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
The state of Georgia just had a major overhaul done on scholarship and grant awards. MANY legal citizens have been cut off right in the middle of their degrees. HOPE scholarships don't even allow anyone to go as far as an associates degree anymore. If you even qualify anymore, they'll get you "certified" in something, but you have to buy all your books on your own, pay all fees, and 10% of your tuition. And I'll be honest with you, tuition is the least of your concerns when you need a $200 algebra book and a $400 A&P book, then have to pay a $39 registration fee and a $55 "technology" fee. And that's just 1 semester. Repeat that 3 times a year, for 2 semesters and a summer quarter.
Sounds to me like the state of Georgia really REALLY needs to start funding illegals, since they obviously have enough to cover the college students that are citizens and ALREADY STARTED COLLEGE.
I like the idea of everyone who wants to go to college getting that chance. It shouldn't be so dam expensive to begin with. But if legal citizens are getting turned down in favor of illegals, that's just plain wrong. If scholarship money is not going to use, let anyone who wants to use it do so. Just don't brush American citizens aside to place a higher priority on someone who could end up being deported, then it's a total loss to everyone.
What does an average year cost in the US? It Varies widely in Canada and it's been causing controversy. To attend school in NS where I was born and raised, cost my parents over 15k in tuition for me for two years. To go one province over would have cost me just over $7000.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #13  
September 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
You can't partake in every program regardless of work status a sit stands now. There are many entitlements that citizenship affords a person. If you are unwilling to wait until you have the status then as I stated before use alternate means to attend college. Apply for PRIVATELY funded scholarships, work your way through school etc.

Those programs that are an "extra" should be for those who hold citizenship status and have a permanent vested interest to utilize those skills within the US. There will be no loss of life or safety if a person is expected to either pay their own way through college or wait until they have completed the citizenship process.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
Um, I will be also funding that program through taxes since I will be employed. Why should my (theoretical) child get the shaft for something their parents contribute towards because they haven't been here long enough to take the citizenship test?

I get my work visa before I even have my 2 year green card. I can legally work in the US before I can legally live here. My children, and myself should be able to partake in ANY program as long as I have contributed to it.

So what you're saying is, an honor roll, ideal student should have to take out an interest based loan rather than accept a scholarship they obviously qualified for because they aren't an actual citizen. So rather than accept the money that is being awarded to them based on achievement, they should learn the other lesson of debt instead. That makes no sense to me. Legal is legal regardless of citizenship.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #14  
September 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
Not directed at me but I'll answer anyway. It varies from school to school. Community college, 2 year degrees, is probably the lowest cost option and has discounted rates for those who live within the county it serves and is generally from what I've seen a few hundred dollars per 3 credit course. State schools offer discounted rates to in state students and a for the most part lower cost than their private counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
What does an average year cost in the US? It Varies widely in Canada and it's been causing controversy. To attend school in NS where I was born and raised, cost my parents over 15k in tuition for me for two years. To go one province over would have cost me just over $7000.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #15  
September 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Oh yea, there's such a wide range of costs. With my in state tuition rates, if I go for an associate's degree, I and the state of Georgia will have paid just over $14,000. This is a technical college, nobody goes higher than an associates here. I don't think.
After this I might take a bridge course at the women's college and beg for a private scholarship based on the merit of my GPA. I'm not willing to take out loans so if that doesn't happen I'll have to drag along one course at a time. The sudden price change for me was a shock so I had to drop the 2 courses I was going to take this semester, and I'll be able to save up just enough to take 1 course next semester. This is going to take me a while.....
Yea but anyway, when you start talking major universities like UGA, you're looking and probably $25,000 per YEAR. Then there's the military college here where you can get your schooling paid for in various aspects depending on if you're going to join ROTC, or commission to the army upon graduation. It really just depends on where you go and what you decide you want to be when you grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
September 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
If you aren't here illegally, you should not get any of America's benefits.
I completely disagree.

Im with Jaime. Unfortunately, I dont have much more to say..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
September 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
If you aren't here illegally, you should not get any of America's benefits.
I'm going with this, without the edit
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #18  
September 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
The state of Georgia just had a major overhaul done on scholarship and grant awards. MANY legal citizens have been cut off right in the middle of their degrees. HOPE scholarships don't even allow anyone to go as far as an associates degree anymore. If you even qualify anymore, they'll get you "certified" in something, but you have to buy all your books on your own, pay all fees, and 10% of your tuition. And I'll be honest with you, tuition is the least of your concerns when you need a $200 algebra book and a $400 A&P book, then have to pay a $39 registration fee and a $55 "technology" fee. And that's just 1 semester. Repeat that 3 times a year, for 2 semesters and a summer quarter.
Sounds to me like the state of Georgia really REALLY needs to start funding illegals, since they obviously have enough to cover the college students that are citizens and ALREADY STARTED COLLEGE.
I like the idea of everyone who wants to go to college getting that chance. It shouldn't be so dam expensive to begin with. But if legal citizens are getting turned down in favor of illegals, that's just plain wrong. If scholarship money is not going to use, let anyone who wants to use it do so. Just don't brush American citizens aside to place a higher priority on someone who could end up being deported, then it's a total loss to everyone.
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
September 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,810
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this since I started it, work was crazy yesterday.

When i saw the article my first reaction was kind of WTH? but then I sort of saw the logic in what they're trying to do (invest in what they assume will eventually be citizens and taxpayers)....part of me feels like scholarships should go to the best candidate, regardless of whether they're a citizen because the college itself is better off having the best students it can recruit there, and all the students benefit by being challenged & surrounded by similarly excellent students.

Private scholarships going to non-citizens doesn't bother me...but I'm struggling a little bit with the public funded ones b/c I do think taxpayers ultimately should benefit from the taxes they're contributing into the govt coffers...but I do acknowledge that some people that are here illegally work and pay taxes too (albeit indirectly or under fake names/actual SSNs), so there's an argument to be made that they have contributed too.

Does anyone think this idea will spread beyond CA (and I think the article mentioned Ill. was also dealing with a similar issue) to be addressed at Federal level or with other states?
__________________
Lara

Savannah Stylin!





Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
September 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
I think it's great! So much scholarship money goes to waste each year... I would bet millions of dollars. So many kids around here piss and party around, don't give a fu ck about their education--- So I completely agree with giving it to kids who deserve it, even illegal immigrants. In fact, I know a kid who is here illegally and is able to go to a community college that he drives 2 hours each way. Now that's what I call dedication and a good example to lazy ***** kids these days.



They get the shaft because they don't work hard enough to win scholarships or work hard enough to research and apply to any? Waa?
Where are your statistics on this?

I personal think your view of today's kids is very jaded and may be accurate for you area but it sure it's what I experience where I am. From my experience, you only get scholarships for sports. If you aren't a star athlete forget it. My friend's niece is a straight A honor student - got nothing for college but her roommate got a full ride for jumping hurdles Yeah there's value to society.

In this country if your parents make "too much money" (which isn't a lot btw), you don't qualify for anything even though they work hard & pay taxes.

My niece is a straight A student in gifted classes who is a high school senior. Both of her parents are teachers (so yeah you know how little they make). She isn't lazy. Along with full-time school, she volunteers at a hospital, does charity drives etc. She's researched & applied for everything & can't get anything. She wants to be a doctor - great value to society unfortunately she'll have to go to a medicore school & rack up so many student loans that she'll be in debt for the rest of her life.

Yeah so let the illegal alien get it all for doing nothing.
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; September 2nd, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0