Log In Sign Up

US pastor calls for national registry for atheists…


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
September 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Its easy to get a point across without being condescending and rude. You know exactly what you were doing. You wanna hate religion? Go ahead but people like you are the reason that atheists are viewed the way they are. Don't come posting some smut like that and then blink your eyes all innocently and pretend you were simply trying to point out a parallel. I call bull just like everyone else is. Either own what you said and the intent behind it or go hide back under your bridge cuz nobody here wants you around anyway. I don't know what infuriates me more. Your play stupid act or that blinkie in your signature but both are pretty close to being equally repugnant.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #42  
September 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
You wanna hate religion? Go ahead but people like you are the reason that atheists are viewed the way they are.
Oh really, and what way is that, dear? Go ahead. Speak on behalf of an entire faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
Either own what you said and the intent behind it or go hide back under your bridge cuz nobody here wants you around anyway.
NOBODY??!!
Oh my word!! That just makes me sooo sad I can't help but wanting to... Go back to junior high, Alicia.
I did own what I said. I owned it three times in a row. The person who I was originally posting to hasn't even responded, yet still I repeat my same statement for "people like you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
I don't know what infuriates me more. Your play stupid act or that blinkie in your signature but both are pretty close to being equally repugnant.
Just knowing that I elicit any emotion from you makes it all worthwhile, sweetums. The blinkie is because I'm proud of who I am and if that bothers you then it's your problem, not mine.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #43  
September 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Can I ask: For those of you who are Athiests or Agnostic,

When people think you do hate God (or Allah or whoever) do you think it's because you (general) may not like religion in it of itself so they (Christians) feel like you are "downing" God? Because of things like hypocricy and holier than thou Christian behavior? Do you think part of the reason to be turned off by religion is because of some of these things?

And for those who are Christian: Do you dislike Athiests dislik them because you believe they must be sinning and are unworthy of Christian Love? Because even if an Athiest doesn't "believe" as you, are you not supposed to "love" them and support your fellow people anyway? If they did everything else "right" (never got in trouble, raise their kids right, live a wholesome life), then what is it to a Christian that someone else doesn't believe?

I'm Christian but don't want to keep searching for churches. I seem to get disappointed a LOT by those who are "supposed" to be good, nonjudging people. I think I'd rather worship at home.

Lilaculpepper- I bet most people do not find it "weird" if someone says "praise God" in public. I think that most people understand God is a "higher power" even those who do not believe. The Kirstie Allie thing is so different because people who worship God are worshipping something greater than themselves. Kirstie Allie is not greater than any one of us, so I doubt it's an equal comparison. Simply because YOU do not believe, it's still not an equal comparison. Kirstie Allie=Human being no better than us. God/Allah/Buddah/Jehovah=higher power.
Not being snarky, just explaining why I don't believe people would believe it's weird to worship their God and why I don't believe the analogy you used was accurate.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #44  
September 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: where chili has beans
Posts: 13,348
Shel, you can be proud of who you are and your beliefs without being rude about them. Strange concept for you, I know! But it IS possible! I promise! I can name half a dozen girls who are athiests on this board who manage it! THEY'RE the ones telling you that you are an embarassment, not the Christians! Do you really not see that? Ahh but of course you don't. You never do. You see and hear things exactly how you want to and are completely incapable of taking an objective look at your own behaviour. How sad. Pathetic, actually.

As for your blinkie. Would it be okay if someone posted the same blinkie with an anti-Islamic message? No? Huh. So why is it okay to hate on Christians? Besides which, not all Christians even believe the crap that your blinkie spews. Also, you could express yourself as an athiest without resorting to disrespecting religious symbols. Others have. But, you never do conduct yourself with much class so I don't know why we would expect you to now.
__________________
Ashley, mommy to Mackenzie 01/01/08

Reply With Quote
  #45  
September 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
I have respect for any person that can have a religion without using it as an excuse to hate others. I also am not fond of people that take their own free will out of the equation and give all the credit to god or blame the devil for their actions.

As an Atheist, I know I am fully responsible to be a good person. I'm not considerate or kind because I fear going to hell. I have morals because I know humans are supposed to love and take care of each other.

I don't practice this with arrogance. There are people of ALL religions that are conditioned to believe their way is the only way. This is nonsense to me. How can that possibly be? Usually people don't have the answers and they try to say there is no right answer. I just don't buy it.

So if there is a wonderful place for an afterlife, then I deserve it. I know I do and I refuse to live with guilt or worry, because I really do think we have one life to live. I appreciate mine to the fullest every single day.
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #46  
September 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
Shel, you can be proud of who you are and your beliefs without being rude about them. Strange concept for you, I know! But it IS possible! I promise! I can name half a dozen girls who are athiests on this board who manage it! THEY'RE the ones telling you that you are an embarassment, not the Christians! Do you really not see that? Ahh but of course you don't. You never do. You see and hear things exactly how you want to and are completely incapable of taking an objective look at your own behaviour. How sad. Pathetic, actually.
Rude, ok let's dissect that word. What, exactly, am I doing that's "rude"? Am I discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way? Am I rough, harsh or ungentle? Yes, I likely am. The disrespect comes from passion. The way I see it, respect is not freely given, it is earned. I am under no obligation to show respect for your religious beliefs just as you are under no obligation to show respect for my lack of them.
Very simply, I am fed up. I'm sick to death of all the horrible things being done in the name of Christianity and I'm speaking up with the contents of what's in my heart. I am not one of "those atheists" that will nod, smile and agree calmly with whatever gibberish comes out of someone's mouth. I know this upsets a great many people but I have stayed silent for FAR too long and can stay silent no longer. I know my own behavior and how I'm coming across. I am fully aware of how unpopular I am and am sure many of you would like nothing more than for me to shut up and blend in. I'm sorry but that's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
As for your blinkie. Would it be okay if someone posted the same blinkie with an anti-Islamic message? No? Huh. So why is it okay to hate on Christians? Besides which, not all Christians even believe the crap that your blinkie spews. Also, you could express yourself as an athiest without resorting to disrespecting religious symbols. Others have. But, you never do conduct yourself with much class so I don't know why we would expect you to now.
I changed the blinkie to see if anyone will have a problem with the new one. To the contrary, I'm betting new members join and praise me for being "saved" and posting a scene from a long, gruesome and painful death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
Lilaculpepper- I bet most people do not find it "weird" if someone says "praise God" in public. I think that most people understand God is a "higher power" even those who do not believe. The Kirstie Allie thing is so different because people who worship God are worshipping something greater than themselves. Kirstie Allie is not greater than any one of us, so I doubt it's an equal comparison. Simply because YOU do not believe, it's still not an equal comparison. Kirstie Allie=Human being no better than us. God/Allah/Buddah/Jehovah=higher power.
Not being snarky, just explaining why I don't believe people would believe it's weird to worship their God and why I don't believe the analogy you used was accurate.
Ok, Lynn, good points there. I see what you're saying about Kirstie Alley being human and not divine and, to be honest, I hadn't thought of it from that POV. I guess what I'm trying to demonstrate is what I think/feel when people praise Jesus loudly and in public. The very idea that someone would credit his imaginary friend for real, tangible money just screams of lunacy to me. I would really rather help this person than mock him, since he clearly is in need of a reality check.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #47  
September 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Shel, you make my head spin. First you say you aren't being what people are saying, then you point out that you are being disrespectful. I just don't get you sometimes/most of the time. You can be passionate and not be rude. Your blinkie was rude and offensive. Never in a million years would I post an upside down cross. I have many people in my life that I love dearly, and I would never mock them or their beliefs in such a way.
You talk about how you don't speak for all atheists, but then go on to lump all Christians in to these acts that you speak of. See how that works?
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #48  
September 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Shel, you make my head spin. First you say you aren't being what people are saying, then you point out that you are being disrespectful. I just don't get you sometimes/most of the time. You can be passionate and not be rude. Your blinkie was rude and offensive. Never in a million years would I post an upside down cross. I have many people in my life that I love dearly, and I would never mock them or their beliefs in such a way.
Yeah, I get that a lot. My decision to "come out" of the atheist closet has been fairly recent and I'm still having trouble getting my message across in an organized fashion. As I said, my passion is interpreted as disrespect and that's a tough nut to crack. I didn't create the blinkie but loved the message that stated, "I'm not one of god's children and I'm **** proud." The upside down crosses didn't really seem all that big a deal to me. Why would you never post something like that? I've seen people fly the American flag upside down plenty of times but it, too, never bothered me. Their message came through loud and clear and what they represented was widely understood. Disagreeable or not I want to clearly express just how disgusted I am with the religious community as a whole. Does this include every Christian person I know IRL or from this board? Of course not. But to cherry-pick what and who exactly I have issue with would take quite a long time. It's easier to just make blanket statements like my old blinky made for me.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #49  
September 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Okay,
I am Christian and have respect for ALL people (who aren't jerks, like killers, rapists, people who are rude, condscending, or just plain nasty) regardless of religion they have. I respect that they believe in something different than me and do not think that athiests are "crazy" just for believing that no God exists, I don't make fun of agnostics who are just on the "I really don't know" fence, and I don't make fun of Christians who are not my religion. The way I believe is that there are MANY paths to God. If you (Shelly) told a person that "praising God" in the store was "weird, crazy, lunacy, etc..." they might bi**hslap you because you're disrespecting THEIR right to praise whomever they want. Everyone always talks about their rights when it comes to the government stepping on their toes; well how the heck do we get them OFF our toes when WE, regular people are judging everyone else? Freedom of religion means that you have the right to believe, not to believe, or simply not know. FREEDOM to practice or not practice.

I don't think anyone's weird simply because they do or don't praise God or whomever. I don't think Wiccans are weird. What I DO think is weird is people thinking they're the only right ones, that they are better than everyone else, and those who commit acts that are criminal in nature, especially when it hurts someone.

The lady in front of you praising God for finding change in her purse was happy. How does that affect you in any way? How does it hurt you? Don't you prefer people are happy, even if they are doing things in a way you wouldn't?

I didn't notice the siggy, I'm blind to stuff like that. But you would hurt that lady's feelings if she saw it (or you said it to her), even when she did NOTHING TO you. How is it hurting you or yours by her praising God? She's not asking YOU to do it, not saying to you that you're weird because you do not believe or condemning you. Not all Christians do that. If she HAD then I could understand the outrage against Christians. I understand that the things done "In the name of Christianity" is upsetting...HOWEVER remember that is MAN (or woman) making HIS/HER own "reasons" for doing things, rather than realizing some things God would never do.

God wouldn't "murder, rape, molest, or otherwise hurt someone" PEOPLE do that to each other. So, in essence, people are basically at fault for all the bad things (not natural disasters...) that happen to them. Because of PEOPLE being jerks, bad things sometimes happen to the innocent (i.e. decent people who do have morals and try to do right by others.)
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Last edited by GSLynn; September 6th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
September 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Yeah, I get that a lot. My decision to "come out" of the atheist closet has been fairly recent and I'm still having trouble getting my message across in an organized fashion. As I said, my passion is interpreted as disrespect and that's a tough nut to crack. I didn't create the blinkie but loved the message that stated, "I'm not one of god's children and I'm **** proud." The upside down crosses didn't really seem all that big a deal to me. Why would you never post something like that? I've seen people fly the American flag upside down plenty of times but it, too, never bothered me. Their message came through loud and clear and what they represented was widely understood. Disagreeable or not I want to clearly express just how disgusted I am with the religious community as a whole. Does this include every Christian person I know IRL or from this board? Of course not. But to cherry-pick what and who exactly I have issue with would take quite a long time. It's easier to just make blanket statements like my old blinky made for me.
It's not a "tough nut to crack" if you have some insight and are willing to admit when you are wrong in the way you are acting, and do things to correct it.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #51  
September 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Ahh so now I get a big part of the chip. Geeesh it's like all I've been seeing is then the icing on the cake is telling others to go back to junior high school. I just don't understand the it's OK for me to insult, berate, be rude but it's not OK for others. Another thing I don't get is why all the anger and resentment? It's one thing to voice an opinion, it's another to look for things to tick you off that aren't there. Who are you trying to convince here? The world or yourself?
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0