Is this punishment ever appropiate???

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lawsuit accuses security guard of handcuffing first-graders for talking in class - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
In an email to the Tribune, attorney Michael Carin said school officials at Carver Primary School on the Far South Side authorized the on-campus security guard in March 2010 to discipline some first-graders who were being disruptive.

Giving details not disclosed in the lawsuit filed Monday in Cook County Circuit Court, Carin said the school's security officer removed the students from class and held them in another office on campus where there were no other adults present. Carin said the students were handcuffed for hours and told that "they were going to prison and would never see their parents again."

Assuming the basis for this lawsuit is true, what would be your reaction if this was your child?
Is this punishment ever appropiate?
Could this effect the children negatively?

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
My reaction would likely be the same as the parents in this case.
No, it would never be appropriate.
Yes, it would likely effect them. At the very least they would be very untrusting of security personnel. They may also suffer separation issues as a result.

TTC our Rainbow Baby to complete our family.
September 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ditto that. Completely over the top.

September 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
foxfire_ga79
Team Leslie. NOT acceptable in any way what so ever.
September 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto Leslie

September 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto Leslie. MAYBE I could understand temporarily handcuffing them to restrain them if they were very violent but it would only be to keep them from hurting themselves/others. It certainly wouldn't be for hours while telling them they'd never see their parents again. That is extremely harming to a child's psyche.

September 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, that is not in ANY way ok. What could a first grader have been doing that was heinous enough to be handcuffed and threatened that he would never see his parents again?

September 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Keepin' it real!
I don't know why they don't call the parents to come get the kids if they are that unruly. I wouldn't put up with any nonsense, but have never thought to handcuff a kid before. Seems quite bizarre!

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I don't know why they don't call the parents to come get the kids if they are that unruly. I wouldn't put up with any nonsense, but have never thought to handcuff a kid before. Seems quite bizarre!
I think we are only getting one exaggerated side of the story.
September 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
The only way it would be appropriate to handcuff, is if the child was clearly going to harm him/herself or others. Telling a child they cannot see their parents for a long time is absolutely horrible. If someone said that to me, I would have had a panic attack.
September 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
femketje's Avatar Crazed Country Rebel
The media only wants to show one side of a story but I definitely don't think that was exaggerated. I mean, under what circumstances is it right to handcuff a 5-7 year old??? Ditto to what Leslie said..
September 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. It may be exaggerated, but I do not think it is appropiate unless the child was trying to do bodily harm on themself or others.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
going strictly by the article, nope, not appropriate.

If the child was going to harm themselves or someone else, I think the child should be taken to a hospital via ambulance once the parents are notified. No security guard has the right to hold and threaten small children. I'd question that teachers ability to control her classroom.

DSS should be a 1st grader.. I think (he's 6, that's 1st grade right?) he's unruly, inattentive and downright irritating to people. That doesn't give anyone the right to handcuff him and tell him he can't see his parents. They'd have a hysterical unruly inattentive irritating child on their hands now, one who gasps for breath, turns ghostly white and has a heart rate that approaches 200.... And I'd bet his parents would be suing.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
September 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Keepin' it real!
^ I restrained (without cuffs) a child once. He was special needs (not just a little brat, in which case, I would have quit on them!) and he was dangerous at the time since I had little ones and he was throwing chairs, biting, kicking, etc.

I never thought about using cuffs, seems extreme. Even though this kid was very strong, I still maintained control and it all worked out. I can't imagine anything worse than what he'd done, from a child, but maybe age is a factor? He was 4 years old at the time of the incident. Still, 5-6 yrs old seems quite young for cuffs. Even if they wanted to "scare" the kids straight, thats still over the top.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Team Leslie

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search