Pets in Stores

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any time there is a service dog in a store, it has to be clearly marked. We have one customer at work that trains service dogs and she is in our store pretty frequently with her dogs. She always has a drape on the dog that says "service dog in training, please do not approach me". I don't know how it works in other states but here, the dog has to be marked or have some way to identify it as a service dog or the management can and will ask the person to leave the store with the dog.
September 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
Any time there is a service dog in a store, it has to be clearly marked. We have one customer at work that trains service dogs and she is in our store pretty frequently with her dogs. She always has a drape on the dog that says "service dog in training, please do not approach me". I don't know how it works in other states but here, the dog has to be marked or have some way to identify it as a service dog or the management can and will ask the person to leave the store with the dog.
It is a federal law that businesses cannot demand any proof of certification regarding service dogs.

Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

I don't know what stores in your area are making that demand, but they sure aren't allowed to.
September 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They aren't demanding it but pets are not allowed in our store, only service animals so there has to be some way to distinguish service animals from pets. Otherwise, I could take my Shepard shopping with me and no one could tell me to leave. They are allowed to ask if its a service animal and I'm sure thats how it works with non marked service animals.
September 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM
foxfire_ga79
They are allowed to ask if it's a service animal. They are not allowed to ask what disability the dog is helping with. They are allowed to ask what specific tasks the dog does for its owner. That's it.
But you're right, you could take your shepherd in a store with you and claim it's a service dog, and they do not have any grounds to ask you to leave. You do not have to do anything to prove your dog is a service animal. There are heavy fines for even so much as asking too many or the wrong questions to the person with the dog. Disabled people shouldn't have to be pestered everywhere they go. Yes this allows some fakers to slip through the cracks, but it's hugely beneficial to people who need that animal.
September 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I can't see how a service dog can be unmarked to be honest. I get that people don't want to advertise the fact they need the dog sometimes (like in the case of seizure sufferers), but I think that the animals should have to be showing their status in order to be allowed into regular stores. Other wise any joe could take their dog in and insist it's a service animal.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
September 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran
Ditto the PP that said it's the law that no business can demand proof that an animal is a service dog. Every time I go into Target they ask if my dog's a service dog, because it's their policy to ask, but beyond me saying yes, there's nothing else they can do. This law is in place for the people handling the dogs. It allows a few to slip through, but really, if someone walks into a business with a dog, and the owner/manager/whatever doesn't believe it's a service dog, all they have to do is observe it. Service dogs stay within 18in of their handler. They don't sniff, lick or approach other people. They don't jump, whine, bark, etc. They very much look "on a mission", not bothered by anything in their enviroment. Unless you have an extremely well trained dog, they wouldn't be able to pass as a service dog to anyone educated on them.

I myself don't make my dog wear his vest. He hates it and it makes him hot. But I do always have a collar and leash on that is red and says service dog all over it. I also have our ID card hanging on the leash, just in case I ever have a problem with someone.
September 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I never see people bring pets in any store around here, unless it is Pet Depot or Petco. Never Walmart or Target or the mall. Ever.

I have seen one lady that carries a small monkey around. He wears a diaper and she has scolded him for trying to grab items off the shelves. I swear. I don't know why she expects this monkey to not act like a wild animal. I stayed the hell away from them.

September 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I never see people bring pets in any store around here, unless it is Pet Depot or Petco. Never Walmart or Target or the mall. Ever.

I have seen one lady that carries a small monkey around. He wears a diaper and she has scolded him for trying to grab items off the shelves. I swear. I don't know why she expects this monkey to not act like a wild animal. I stayed the hell away from them.
yikes. I'd probably have left the store. Monkeys while cute, can be awfully scary.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search