should restaurants be allowed to accept food stamps?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
You never answered about the homeless.........
If hot prepared food were allowed then that would cover the homeless. That makes a lot more sense than restaurants.

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

September 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
So, you dont have to shop at walmart. give me a break, if you are on food stamps you dont need to use them at a restaurant. thats a luxury not a right.

tax payers work hard for their money and they shouldnt have to pay for me, or anyone else on food stamps, to use their money to go enjoy myself at a restaurant. the govt is giving money for NEEDS not wants.
The bolded part is one of the stupidest responses people give anytime a discussion about welfare comes up.

First, most people in this country don't actually fall in the tax bracket that actually pays very much in taxes. You get a great deal of them back(or if you're smart, get barely any of them taken out in the first place, and still get a lot of those you do pay, right back). Secondly, many people(I'd rather say most, but without actual stats to back that up, I can't really say that) who are on assistance, especially food stamps, ARE working. They're paying a lot of the same "taxes" those "hard working taxpayers" are paying (and yep, they get them back too).

Of course no one needs to go to a restaurant. The same applies to everyone else too. No one really needs to eat at a restaurant. People do it because they want to. A hot meal is not necessarily a need either. But it serves a pretty good purpose, I'd say.
But if the government isn't going to make the policies in place allow for hot prepared meals to be covered, being able to get them at some sort of restaurant is probably the next best thing-in their minds anyway.
Personally I'd rather see most of the unused, abandoned and such buildings be renovated and turned into places where someone can get a hot meal. It would kill so many birds with the same stone. It would hep make some areas of town more appealing, it would offer jobs(people doing the renovating, people running the buildings, people offering to assist). In fact they could even use this sort of thing in the work programs most states have. Doing this would also give people more options. Not just homeless people, but anyone who needs a good meal and for whatever reason cannot get it on their own. But this, unfortunately, is a pipe dream. I doubt the government would allow funding for such a thing. It's been proposed in many cities and states and the typical attitude of the local government is blah, at best. More like screw you approach. If I had the personal funding to do something like this, I gladly would.
Sadly, I'm not rich. I'm just a hard working welfare recipient
September 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you even get food stamps if you are homeless? You need proof of residence... proof of rent/mortgage, bills, etc. There are soup kitchens and shelters.

And I'm not even replying to your post Frackel because you are rude.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Keepin' it real!
Don't forget, restaurant food is prepared food, thus taxable.

Someone better tell me exactly WHAT you have to do to qualify. We're a frigging poor family and I haven't gotten a dime in WELFARE. I can't qualify to save my life. I'm reporting everything honestly, am UNDER the income bracket and yet have been denied over and over. Either they don't have the money in their budget, or because there is a husband, they feel that we don't need to eat. We manage anyhow, somehow. We don't get to go out to eat to do it. If I'm in the same bracket as ya'll, the working poor, it seems pretty crappy for everyone to be up in arms about whether or not they can go out to eat while me and mine and others like us who technically SHOULD qualify, but for some reason don't, can't even get that hand up when we really need it. That pisses me off, BIG TIME. It's irritating. What because I'm not a single mom? That's bull shi+. Single moms are NOT the only one's struggling. The husband works so much I might as WELL be a single mother. I don't see him, he doesn't do too much with the children because he works this crap job just to ensure we can keep our head up. And yet other people are b*%ching about not being able to eat out. What about us? What about those LIKE US that are married struggling families? I keep hearing/seeing single moms (not just on JM but EVERYWHERE). I'm tired of "single moms" excuses being shoved down my throat. And then the same single mothers who play the woe is me card are the SAME ones telling me that "not all single moms can't make it" WTHECK! I'm so confused by the contradiction. I do not believe ALL single mothers have it harder than married couples. I believe we all have many equal struggles. I tell my dh we should get divorced because then MAYBE I'll be able to get some help finding a job or getting the little bit we need for food. Or if I came in illegally, I'd get help that way, too.

I think I'd be darn grateful if I could get food stamps to help us, and I wouldn't give two shi+s about whether or not they included "fast food" in there. It's NICE (like I said before) to have a once-per-month stipend, but if they didn't have it, I sure would not be complaining because I'd be happy I got anything at all.

Homeless, and I mean those TRULY homeless and truly trying everything they can to better their lives is not even in the same realm as the working poor so I do not believe we can even compare our situations to theirs...at. all.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
tell us how you really feel.......

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Keepin' it real!
lol I'm just irritable lately because everyone's so dang ungrateful these days. It makes me sick. People ought to be grateful and thankful for what they DO have instead of trying to milk more and more out of people. What's funny, the TRULY poor are not the ones advocating for this anyway...just sayin'.

September 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can get food stamps if you are homless. There is a section on the paperwork that says something like "if you're homeless right homless in the address section".

I would also like to see abandoned buildings be put to good use. Where we live we dont' even have a food pantry. Would be nice to have one where people donate food to so those who are going without can have some. We could also set up a place where those who are need hot meal assistance can have a place to eat. They could be on donations, like a soup kitchen, another thing my area doesn't have.
September 12th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
How do you even get food stamps if you are homeless? You need proof of residence... proof of rent/mortgage, bills, etc. There are soup kitchens and shelters.

And I'm not even replying to your post Frackel because you are rude.
You can receive food stamps if you're homeless. Not every area has soup kitchens or shelters, either. I'm guessing by your own posting that your actual knowledge on the subject is pretty darn limited. You're making one assumption right after another based on your own anecdotal(at best) evidence-or in this case, lack thereof.

I'm guessing you've never actually read any of the paperwork you were given when you applied for assistance.
September 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I think I'd be darn grateful if I could get food stamps to help us, and I wouldn't give two shi+s about whether or not they included "fast food" in there. It's NICE (like I said before) to have a once-per-month stipend, but if they didn't have it, I sure would not be complaining because I'd be happy I got anything at all.
Amen. I agree with everything you have said.

We were denied food stamps several times while I was pregnant because we both worked. We are getting them now but wont be able to soon. I am thankful we are getting the help now that we need. Im not complaining that I havent been out to eat for over 13 weeks. Big deal. I have food in my belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
You can receive food stamps if you're homeless. Not every area has soup kitchens or shelters, either. I'm guessing by your own posting that your actual knowledge on the subject is pretty darn limited. You're making one assumption right after another based on your own anecdotal(at best) evidence-or in this case, lack thereof.

I'm guessing you've never actually read any of the paperwork you were given when you applied for assistance.
You really cant debate with someone without being rude can you? Learn to debate with respect and I'll be happy to have a conversation with you but you just arent worth my time.

Last edited by angelsailor288; September 12th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
September 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
http://otda.ny.gov/programs/applications/4826.pdf

No where on here is anything about being homeless. Asks for your residence.

September 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
We were denied food stamps several times while I was pregnant because we both worked. We are getting them now but wont be able to soon. I am thankful we are getting the help now that we need. Im not complaining that I havent been out to eat for over 13 weeks. Big deal. I have food in my belly.
I that you (and some others) don't have an entitlement complex!
September 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY! VAGINA POWER!

We are entitled!

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
YAY! VAGINA POWER!

We are entitled!
Yup. I can see the homeless getting hot meals as they have no other way. It is fine if someone thinks it would be nice to go out to eat every once in awhile. But no one deserves it. When I was on assistance, I certainly didn't act entitled, either. People should be grateful for what they get instead of acting like brats.

Cheer on, cheer on.
September 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
You really cant debate with someone without being rude can you? Learn to debate with respect and I'll be happy to have a conversation with you but you just arent worth my time.
I'm not being rude. You are making repeated assumptions about people. You also clearly don't know that those who are homeless can get food stamps. Exactly how is pointing out the obvious(since you've stated it yourself) being rude? You may not like it, but it's certainly not rude in the least, lol.

Most debates require you to put your big girl panties on though. Especially around here. You shouldn't be too shocked when people refuse to sugar coat everything for you.
(and I think most people probably learn that lesson the hard way, lol)

Eta:

I think a great deal of those who are on assistance really do appreciate everything they receive and aren't acting like spoiled children. I know there are plenty out there with an entitlement attitude-but you'll find those people in all walks of life. I've run across a lot more people who aren't receiving assistance of any kind, who rarely appreciate anything they have, than I have those getting assistance and acting like they are owed the world.
I honestly believe that those who are working their butts off, still unable to make ends meet, who are able to get assistance that helps them barely get by day to day, truly appreciate what they have. The few bad apples who act like idiots, shouldn't sour one's opinion of people on assistance all across the country.
Personally, I would never look a gift horse in the mouth, and I don't believe most who are asking others to help them, would either.

Last edited by Frackel; September 12th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
September 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This talks about food stamps (called SNAP now I guess) and homelessness. Nutrition Assistance Programs
September 12th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Keepin' it real!
Frackel- on your ETA. I agree for the most part. I just feel that going out to eat at a restaurant is a luxury. Sadly, you have to make money to be able to do it, but it is not a "right" it's a privilege. Sometimes we simply cannot have those luxuries, and even though we all feel like we are "deserving", we really aren't. Most people, even the NICEST people I know, can be ungrateful sometimes. People have MUCH LESS than us in many countries and do not get any aid. They drink filthy water and suffer from diysentery. They eat nasty, old, rotten food and they get salmonella and e. coli and many other diseases. People in our own country who ARE struggling and trying, end up eating from and feeding their kids from dumpsters or eating off people's plates at restaurants. We really should take a look at just giving them the basics: Clean water, food, etc. We could really reach out to so many more people if we did that rather than fight over whether or not the poor are "entitled" to eating out or other luxuries. Some just wanna take a bath or have some soup on a cold day.

Extending our money in the welfare program to reach out to MORE homeless and destitute would be a much better option. So would those ON assistance being required to reach out to the very community giving to them.

September 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A little OT but coincidentally people on my local craigslist R&R have been debating low income and talking about how 'poor people' don't deserve cars, cable tv, cell phones, computers, video games. Nothing. I don't think people understand that even what used to be middle class isn't enough to make it anymore.

I guess, the more I think about it, I don't really care if people on food stamps want to go out to eat once in a while. What some people don't understand is that it is a food SUPPLEMENT, I would be afraid that there would be that small group of people who use all their food stamps on fast food, in the beginning of the month then call up their case worker asking for emergency funds, because they can't afford anything for the rest of the month. Of course there are ALWAYS people that ruin things for everyone.

September 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
Frackel- on your ETA. I agree for the most part. I just feel that going out to eat at a restaurant is a luxury. Sadly, you have to make money to be able to do it, but it is not a "right" it's a privilege. Sometimes we simply cannot have those luxuries, and even though we all feel like we are "deserving", we really aren't.

Extending our money in the welfare program to reach out to MORE homeless and destitute would be a much better option. So would those ON assistance being required to reach out to the very community giving to them.
Sorry snipped the reply a bit, but I totally agree. I don't believe anyone needs to, or deserves to, eat at a restaurant, personally. I can understand how such a solution-if the powers that be came to it, could help out a bit in certain situations. But I can also think of at least a few other solutions that would work better. I just wish the powers that be would truly listen, for once. To be honest, I think those in charge of actually taking these ideas and seeing if they can(or should) be implemented ought to have to walk a mile(as the saying goes). I don't believe most politicians when they claim to have once lived a "poor" life. Maybe it's because their idea of poor and mine simply don't match up, lol.
There is a LOT that can be done to help the welfare system in this country. It's more a matter of implementing the ideas than anything. I don't believe for one second that the funding doesn't, or can't, exist. I think they just don't want to use it for that.
While I know a great many in this country simply cannot make it on their own, I will also agree that a great many(probably moreso even) could make it if they had the guidance and assistance of someone to help them find the way. Basically, as you said, a hand up, not a hand out. We offer plenty of handouts, not enough hands up and we don't tend to follow through, either. Most people in this country are far richer than people in many other countries, by far. We could all use a little lesson in humility, as far as I'm concerned. But we do still have an ever growing problem in this country and our welfare system, as it stands, needs a complete overhaul.
I hate charity(to an extent, and certain types), for that reason. People often look at it as a hand out, and not a hand up. I hate having to rely on others to make ends meet. But I still know, at this time, it's what my kids need, so I do what I need to. I wouldn't be on assistance of any sort if I didn't have children. I'd rather be homeless without a penny to me name, to be honest. Sometimes it's beyond humbling and a downright horrible feeling, when you know that without the aid of others, you wouldn't be able to make it. The whole looking down your nose at others simply because you know of a guy who has a brother whose cousin's first cousin's sister is a mooch. I mean, seriously, lol. We ALL know those people. We can ALL find those people, it doesn't matter where you look. Poor, rich, or in between, those people exist.
September 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
I that you (and some others) don't have an entitlement complex!
No, it's called "typing what people want to read." Everyone is entitled to basic needs, and that includes food - even hot food.

I bet you that she even buys junk food with those food stamps!!! I know I did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search