Log In Sign Up

Police sergeant gets caught in lie that resulted in his own shooting


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
September 7th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 427
When I read Leslie and Alicia's comments regarding the way they will raise their children regarding religion, I feel it is a truly un-biased, unconditional love type of thing. When I read Shel's comments, it feels like if her kids choose religion over Atheism, she would dis-own them or something. Just a weird feeling I get...

Also, to set the record straight. I have taught VBS, "Sunday School", and MDO/KDO. I currently teach 2yr olds on Sunday mornings. They have a bible story and verse to learn every day. We have activities, songs, and "worship"(songs) to reinforce those things. When the parents pick the kids up and ask the TWO year olds (some a bit younger) what they learned, many of them repeat something from the story or verse. They KNOW, they are NOT too young! While VBS and Sunday classes are more focused on Jesus, bible story learning, etc, than MDO is, the "Jesus content" of MDO is far from miniscule! They hear a bible story or verse EVERY DAY! They do activities, singing, etc. to reinforce the story/verse. I secretly hope she picks up her oldest from MDO one day and he says "Mommy, Jesus loves me!", just so she can see exactly how hypocritical she is!

Also, MDO/KDO is a pre-school environment. They learn their abc's, 123's, shapes, etc. People typically only use MDO either MWF or TTh, which are 2 of the 3 options for enrollment. It's usually SAHM's who use the time to work-out, go to appt's, etc.(which is where the name mother's day out came from). Rarely have I ever had kids enrolled M-F. The only kids enrolled M-F were the kids whose parents had a flexible work schedule, which enabled them to pick their kid up at 1pm, vs. 5-6pm like daycare is. MDO is only from 9am-1pm, at least that has been the schedule in the 3 churches I've taught it in.

Last edited by Squishy; September 7th, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spell check thinks it's smarter than I am
Reply With Quote
  #42  
September 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
How is Miles a couple years away from preschool? He's the same age as Mackenzie. She missed the cutoff for junior kindergarten by less than 12 hours...... Ohhhh right. You were either resorting to hyperbole to support your point, or you were talking out of your ***.
Hahaha! I didn't even catch that! Most kids do pre-school at 3 and 4yrs, kinder at 5yrs. At minimum they do pre-school at 4 and kinder at 5. Some kids may be 6 when they enter kinder because of the way their birthday fell, but you STILL do pre-school at 4!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
September 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
How is Miles a couple years away from preschool? He's the same age as Mackenzie. She missed the cutoff for junior kindergarten by less than 12 hours...... Ohhhh right. You were either resorting to hyperbole to support your point, or you were talking out of your ***.
Michelle talks out her ***? no wonder most everything she says is so sh!tty.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #44  
September 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
My son will go to prek next year and will be 5.

I wouldn't send my young child to VBS because I feel like it can indoctrinate him into something and he's too young to process it. When he's older he can go to anything he wants and I'll feel comfortable that fear won't rule his choices.

Thing is there is room to respect all people's choices. I don't understand all the judgment at all.
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #45  
September 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
You should probably be more careful about what you are saying then since you said that the "Jesus stuff" is minuscule enough to not make a difference and your kids are "too young" to understand all the religious stuff. You are sending your kids to a religious preschool, you can't explain it away to make the facts any different.
Like I said before, I trust the Christians to wipe my kids' *****, just not to fill their heads with lies. Again, and let me stress how very important this is to me, the director of the program was my kindergarten teacher. She is a wonderful educator and is very imaginative, gentle and kind. If it weren't for her being in charge of the school my children would not be in any local KDO program at all. I simply do not trust any other facility in town with the safety of my children, not to mention their education. She focuses primarily on music and play. The kids get at least 2 hours of music class and outdoor playtime each time they attend. Oh, and it isn't a 5 day a week thing - only twice a week for 5 hours a day, 1 hour of that including naptime.
In short, no, I'm not worried about my kids being indoctrinated. This is the only program, church or no church, I would trust with the lives of my precious little ones and I really don't care how it "looks" on the outside because I know what's going on within the four walls.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #46  
September 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Like I said before, I trust the Christians to wipe my kids' *****, just not to fill their heads with lies.

That is just an awful thing to say.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #47  
September 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
That is just an awful thing to say.
Sorry, but I feel that the bible is chock full of untruths and that's how it is. I'm not going to let my kids be deceived the way I was over years and years of Sunday School and bible study class.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #48  
September 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Sorry, but I feel that the bible is chock full of untruths and that's how it is. I'm not going to let my kids be deceived the way I was over years and years of Sunday School and bible study class.

I was more offended by "The Christian's" only being good enough to clean your kids *****. That is very demeaning to any person, religion, or race.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #49  
September 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
I was more offended by "The Christian's" only being good enough to clean your kids *****. That is very demeaning to any person, religion, or race.
Now you're just putting words into my mouth, Gina.
I never said the Christians are ONLY good enough to wipe my kids' ***. They are also great at teaching him manners, colors, numbers, letters, instruments, how to share and just generally how to be a great kid. They are paid to give him an education, not to instruct him in how to obliterate an entire city if it happens to be occupied by only one single non-believer.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #50  
September 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Now you're just putting words into my mouth, Gina.
I never said the Christians are ONLY good enough to wipe my kids' ***. They are also great at teaching him manners, colors, numbers, letters, instruments, how to share and just generally how to be a great kid. They are paid to give him an education, not to instruct him in how to obliterate an entire city if it happens to be occupied by only one single non-believer.
WOW!
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #51  
September 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
WOW!
WOW! is absolutely right.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #52  
September 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
WOW! is absolutely right.

You are an idiot. You just painted the whole Christian race as one that wants to obliterate a city. What did you apologize for? You are doing the same exact shel stuff.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #53  
September 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #54  
September 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
You are an idiot. You just painted the whole Christian race as one that wants to obliterate a city. What did you apologize for? You are doing the same exact shel stuff.
Gina, let me break this down for you.

First you said you were "offended" because I said Christians are only good to wipe my son's ***. I corrected you and informed you of all the great things these particular Christians do for my sons. These are the facts: if my sons continue their education at a church daycare program then the bible will eventually be taught to them and the bible contains the Deuteronomy 13 passage, among many other horrid chapters. That book is an excellent reason why I will not allow the Christians to teach such horrible atrocities to my children. Name-calling not withstanding, you are Christian so you're ok with the bible. I, however, am not. I'm not sure how I can make this any simpler to you.
I apologized for losing control yesterday and spouting hateful messages that really aren't part of my heart's true beliefs. The bible is something I can and will stand firm on.
I am not attacking you or anyone. I am only standing up for something that is important to me.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #55  
September 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Gina, let me break this down for you.

First you said you were "offended" because I said Christians are only good to wipe my son's ***. I corrected you and informed you of all the great things these particular Christians do for my sons. These are the facts: if my sons continue their education at a church daycare program then the bible will eventually be taught to them and the bible contains the Deuteronomy 13 passage, among many other horrid chapters. That book is an excellent reason why I will not allow the Christians to teach such horrible atrocities to my children. Name-calling not withstanding, you are Christian so you're ok with the bible. I, however, am not. I'm not sure how I can make this any simpler to you.
I apologized for losing control yesterday and spouting hateful messages that really aren't part of my heart's true beliefs. The bible is something I can and will stand firm on.
I am not attacking you or anyone. I am only standing up for something that is important to me.

Good for you for standing up for blanket statements, stereotypes, and assinine posts.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #56  
September 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaculpepper View Post
Gina, let me break this down for you.

First you said you were "offended" because I said Christians are only good to wipe my son's ***. I corrected you and informed you of all the great things these particular Christians do for my sons. These are the facts: if my sons continue their education at a church daycare program then the bible will eventually be taught to them and the bible contains the Deuteronomy 13 passage, among many other horrid chapters. That book is an excellent reason why I will not allow the Christians to teach such horrible atrocities to my children. Name-calling not withstanding, you are Christian so you're ok with the bible. I, however, am not. I'm not sure how I can make this any simpler to you.
I apologized for losing control yesterday and spouting hateful messages that really aren't part of my heart's true beliefs. The bible is something I can and will stand firm on.
I am not attacking you or anyone. I am only standing up for something that is important to me.
If you really think that christians teach children that its ok to wipe out entire cities, you have been grossly misinformed. I spent many years going to church, going to christian youth groups, camp, VBS, christian school from grades 3 - 9, and attended 3 yrs. at a christian university and NOT ONCE was I ever taught that anything like that was ok.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #57  
September 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
Good for you for standing up for blanket statements, stereotypes, and assinine posts.
*sigh* Whatever. I tried with you but it ain't workin'. Just go back to calling me trifling names and talking smack behind my back. I'll go back to my previously stated opinions on your character.

Gina cannot deny facts and the fact is that this is a chapter in the bible and it preaches painful death & destruction. I will not instruct my young children in such wickedness. This is an earned stereotype.

As I said in another thread, I apologize to all the rest of the Christians of the board. However, not every person who calls themselves a Christian is not necessarily the best representative of the Church itself.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #58  
September 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
That was the shortest turning over of a new leaf I have EVER seen.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #59  
September 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
If you really think that christians teach children that its ok to wipe out entire cities, you have been grossly misinformed. I spent many years going to church, going to christian youth groups, camp, VBS, christian school from grades 3 - 9, and attended 3 yrs. at a christian university and NOT ONCE was I ever taught that anything like that was ok.
It's a bit like reading Green Eggs & Ham to a kid except Dr. Seuss happened to include a passage that details when the Cat in the Hat was dismembered and blown to smithereens. Would a parent read the rest of the sweet, pleasant book while just skipping over that part? Or would a more responsible thing be to avoid the book altogether until the child achieves such an age when they could read the book to themselves, equipped with worldly knowledge and the realization that Dr. Seuss was likely a nutjob and such books are only to be read as references points of books to generally bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
That was the shortest turning over of a new leaf I have EVER seen.
Umm...ok, why? I am definitely holding back on name-calling and spewing of defensive words. I never said I would compromise my own beliefs just as no one else here is expected to do. Someone put words in my mouth that were never there to begin with so I clarified then explained my position on why I will not allow the bible to be preached to my young children. I don't see anything wrong with that whatsoever.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #60  
September 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
That was the shortest turning over of a new leaf I have EVER seen.
By my calculations, it took 9 minutes. Impressive!
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0