Memories

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
I tried to check around here, but I cant see where this has ever been done (probably because its next to impossible to prove)

Your first memory. How old do you think you were approximately? Do you think there is a certain age where prior to that age you believe its impossible to have real memories? I have fleeting memories of being about 2 or 3 but I believe my first real memory was around 4 years old.

My ex boyfriend has always insisted that he can remember lying in his basinet as an infant. Hes not the type to make stuff up and I always wondered whether this is really possible.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
September 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My earliest memory was when I was 4.5 ish, but my husband insists he can remember things from when he was 2 or 3. I guess anythin is possible
September 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first memory was around 6. But I dont remember hardly anything from any age before 12

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

September 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Isn't that funny, I find I have more memories from 12 and under than after! I guess I had a really interesting childhood! I remember every year we camped on an island, and I even remember which year was which. I think my memory is kind of photographic.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
September 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
See, my memories are the opposite. I remember almost nothing from my childhood. I wonder if it has to do with what kind of childhood you had.
September 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
You might be on to something. I have one friend who remembers next to nothing from childhood and she was horribly abused

I can remember my 1st day of K4 like it was yesterday... I remember the room exactly and the toys, and even the person who helped me off the bus. I remember that I felt like everyone was speaking chinese (English kid imersed in complete French) and then over the next few days I just started understanding them.

September 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bb Cowgirl
My first was when I was 3 1/2 (day my sister was born..i remember both a nice nurse who gave me a coloring sheet & crayons in a waiting area in hospital, and also when we brought sister home from hospital a day or two later) but nothing before that. I have a handful of memories between 3 1/2 - 5...all of them involved losing something dear, injury or getting in trouble so they obviously made an impression...consistent memories for me started more in 5-6 year old range.

I've had a couple of friends who swear they remember stuff from when they were infants too i don't know if i believe it's a true memory but i suppose almost anything is possible...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
September 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I think for most it's around 4 and up. However, if the person had a traumatic experience, then they might remember it from a younger age or they could go the opposite way and purposefully forget that time frame all together. I had a hard child hood and most of my memories range from about 6 and up. Before then I don't remember much, I believe on purpose, and I have lots of gaps because of my child hood and things I don't want to remember.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember some things from around the time I was 3 or 4. Don't know the exact age just remember we lived in a rented duplex before we moved into our house which was right before I entered kindergarten.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
foxfire_ga79
My mom is going to call me back in a little while to talk about this so we can see if we can nail down what age I was for these things I can remember. My first memories I'm certain of are at around 18 months. I remember my ex dad throwing me into the pool to learn how to swim and that happened right after I was potty trained at 18 months. I don't remember wearing diapers so I doubt my memories go back much further than that, but I need to ask my mom how old I was when I stopped sleeping in my crib. I have 1 vague memory that I think is partly real and definitely partly a dream. There was an incredibly severe thunderstorm in the middle of the night. I never was scared during storms so it didn't bother me. I "remember" my crib got knocked over during a particularly loud thunder, and then Uga (the Georgia Bulldog mascot lol) jumped in my window and was watching me. Obviously those two things didn't happen, so I'm thinking I remember the storm for real and then fell asleep without knowing it and went straight into the dream. I'll describe the bedroom I remember to my mom and see how old I was there. I know it happened in Florida, and we lived in 2 different houses in the short time we lived there so depending on which bedroom I describe, we should be able to come pretty close to how old I was.

I've read somewhere that people with ADHD will usually have memories from a younger age than most other people. For most people I think young memories start at around 3-ish.
September 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the people that remember memories from when they were infants I have always believed those people are really remembering the event not because THEY actually remember it but they remember being told about it from an early day leading them to believe they have always remembered it. Thats just my opinion though, because anything is possible.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

September 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
foxfire_ga79
Just got off the phone with my mom and confirmed that one memory was at just around 18 months. I explained to her the details of the bedroom, and I didn't know why but from my crib I saw my other big bed. My mom told me that when they first put the new bed in there I was scared of it and wouldn't sleep in it, so I stayed in my crib just a few more nights in the same room as the new bed until I got used to it being in there. I would have to call my ex dad to find out the dates of when we moved, because that happened in the first house we lived in on base, and shortly after that we moved to the civilian house. But I don't speak to him anymore. So I'm just going to be satisfied knowing my earliest memories are confirmed at 18 months-ish.
This was not something that was told to me. My mom never told me until just now when I described the room to her that I was in fact in the crib and seeing my other bed. She doesn't remember any particularly severe thunderstorms, so that could have all been 100% dream. But I told her the details right down to the tiger poster hanging up over the big bed, and the yellow quilt and heart shaped pillows my mom and grandma sewed to go on it. I told her where in the room each piece of furniture was, and how the bathroom door was straight across the hall from my bedroom, and her bedroom door was directly to the left. So it's not like my parents told me of fond memories of floor plans and furniture placement. I remember that.
September 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Keepin' it real!
Psychologists often say that memories (LT) begin to form right about age 2. I think that some things (like scents, for example) can be remembered earlier.

I think a pp hit the nail on the head: We hear stories all our lives about what we were like as infants, and *think* we remember infancy itself because we (and possibly our storytellers) forgot that they have relayed the info to us in some way at one time.

I don't remember a lot about my childhood, but do remember bits and pieces from about 4 yo or so.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I have far too many, very vivid, memories as a very young infant/toddler-most of them things my mom wouldn't ever tell me growing up because they aren't so very pleasant(which is probably why I remember them). I remember some of the most obscure things too. They pop in my head from time to time, for no real reason, that I can figure out. From about 2 on up there really isn't much that I don't remember.
September 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking 3-4 ish is my first memory. It was at a 'daycare' when my mom used to bowl. I remember the room, and having a mudpie (doughnut with chocolate frosting). My husband doesn't remember anything from early childhood. Most of his memories are late elementary school/middle school. In all the time we've been together I've never heard him tell me a young childhood memory.

September 9th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran
I remember my second birthday party, and having surgery about a week later. Probably because neither events were pleasant at all. I remember a specific memory from around 3yrs, of me riding my tricycle all day, and when I laid down to go to sleep that night, I remember my legs felt like they were still pedaling my bike. I remember at 5ish, in kingerdarten, lying to my teacher or someone, saying I wasn't supposed to go to after-care, that a certain friend's mom was supposed to pick me up(she did sometimes), because I hated after-care. Other than that I only remember bad things until about 8 1/2 or 9yrs.
September 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to have a reoccurring dream about train tracks that were right around the bank of a river. I was driving up to North Conway NH one weekend with friends and saw the tracks from my dream. Apparently we had been up in the area when I was about 4 or 5. I don't have any real memories of the trip only the dreams later.

I have spotty memories from about 6-12 then they get a little better from then on up.

September 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can remember a few things from when I was 2 or 3. I remember the house we lived in with my mom and dad, my little green watering can with pink trim that I used to water my moms plants with, my mom's parents visiting (they drove a yellow truck) and my grandmother giving me teaberry gum. I also remember wearing a pink fuzzy coat. My parents separated when I was 3 and we moved to another state when that happened so those memories had to be shortly before that time.

ETA.... I didn't notice until after I posted but my memories seem to be centered around colors. Interesting.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; September 9th, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
September 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My first memories were when I was 2 almost 3. We lived in Florida and I remembered going to Miami beach and chasing birds. We don't have photographic evidence, but I vividly remember the sun was so bright I could barely open my eyes.

I also have another memory from that time. I used to talk about the floor in the kitchen being ice cold and it would be uncomfortable on my bare feet.

So my memories coincided with vivid uncomfortable feelings. lol Weird

I remember a lot of stuff. I'm the person from school that everyone calls when they can't remember a name or how something in school might have gone down. It's weird cause I have CRS (can't remember ****) about my life today.

September 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
That's cause you have preggo brain and preggos have a hard time remembering crap.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search