Not allowing certain extracurricular activities

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Nope, I can't think of anything that I'd say absolutely NO about. Now, I would prefer she not be a cheerleader, but that's my own personal bias and I'd let her if she asked.
It is very likely that my girls will be on traveling teams (probably for volleyball and maybe soccer). I played Junior Olympic for Volleyball for 4 years and loved it. I also got a college scholarship for Volleyball, so I consider the extra work worth it.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 September 30th, 2014

September 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The Scouting thing is tough for me. My DH is an Eagle Scout too and his family was involved in the scouts for all four kids. He is counting the days until my oldest is in first grade and can join. The homophobic thing really bothers me, but maybe we can change things from the inside? I don't know.

September 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
I know there are a couple of the things that I won’t allow that are very popular in many households. The first is playing football. My husband thinks I’m hypocritical because I encourage soccer and baseball and biking, all of which can come close to football in incidence of head injuries. But for me, football is far enough ahead, that I just don’t want to risk it.

The other thing I am not willing let my kids get involved in is the boy scouts because of their stance on homosexuality and atheism; though I most definitely recognize they have a lot of great things to offer a child.
I agree completely as to boy/girl scouts, and despite being a big football fan I'm a hypocrite and would rather (if I have a son) not have him play that sport. DH played in HS and blew out his knee so badly it impacts him today (and will his entire life) even after surgeries. Not sure if I'll prohibit football entirely, but it would depend on how badly he wanted to play and I'd certainly try to discourage.

I can't imagine myself letting Savannah do a pagent...and I'd prefer no cheerleading (for injury risk primarily) but again I'd balance my concerns against the strength of her desire to do that particular activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
Boy Scouts have pretty extreme views on homosexuality and are extremely judgmental towards homosexuals. Which is why my boyfriend will not let his son in scouts, and if I ever have a boy, will not let my son in boy scouts as well. Any group that looks down upon homosexuals will be a group my children will not be a part of.
ITA, and couldn't possibly put it better than you just did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Nope, I can't think of anything that I'd say absolutely NO about. Now, I would prefer she not be a cheerleader, but that's my own personal bias and I'd let her if she asked.
It is very likely that my girls will be on traveling teams (probably for volleyball and maybe soccer). I played Junior Olympic for Volleyball for 4 years and loved it. I also got a college scholarship for Volleyball, so I consider the extra work worth it.
That's DH's secret desire for Savannah to make a traveling team for Volleyball and eventually secure a college scholarship for that sport . Me, I'd probably prefer no traveling team and I'd love to see her do swim team instead...but I figure she'll do whatever she loves to do anyway (with my luck will be soccer, which I hate to watch ) so we'll just encourage a broad set of sports until she expresses a preference.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I *think* that the girl scouts have different leadership than the Boy Scouts of America and are more open to alternative lifestyles. I also think Canadian Boy Scouts are separate than the American boy scouts and therefore have different, more open policies. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
September 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
I *think* that the girl scouts have different leadership than the Boy Scouts of America and are more open to alternative lifestyles. I also think Canadian Boy Scouts are separate than the American boy scouts and therefore have different, more open policies. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
yeah they do, it's more of a "don't ask/don't tell/don't talk about it" kind of approach i think...and even on religious aspect they're a bit better, but not so much that I'd have my kids participate (even though I will buy their cookies, i'm not perfect...)

Savannah Stylin!

September 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^LOL.

Hey Lara, congrats! I just noticed your siggy. Are you due in May?
September 12th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh you mean the siggy you could see from outer space (since i can't figure out how to make it smaller)? thanks! i'm not positive date wise, I think it'll be May 24th give or take a few days....I'm considering adopting the advice from other thread and just telling everyone I'm due in the last 2 weeks of May banish due dates!

and mostly i'm just stalking Jillian, once I found out she's in the May DDC...well then, I just HAD to join too

Savannah Stylin!

Last edited by L-SBB; September 12th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
September 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I never encourage football nor will I encourage boy scouts. I try to encourage soccer and basketball.
September 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
My DS has tried most sports, except football. He has never shown an interest in it. For most things, I do try to make him see it out. However, at one point he wanted to try karate. I paid a ton of money up front after a free demo lesson he loved. He was the most miserable kid and bawled about going that I didn't make him keep going. I try not to think about the money I wasted as it makes me sick.

He is on a competitive swim team, and has been for a couple of years now. Swimming is the only sport he actually enjoys.

My DD is too young to participate in anything. While pageants would not be my first choice by any means, I would let her do it if it was a burning passion.
September 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While the *main* Boy Scouts might be anti-homosexual, I don't think all of the chapters are. The leaders for the closest Chapter around us are people I went to school with and grew up with, they aren't anti-homosexual, racist or anything like that. My DH was in the Boy Scouts and they focus on being able to do things yourself in certain situations, which my DH thinks is very valuable, especially since his family is big on the outdoors (without campers, etc. like hiking 15 miles and sleeping in the woods in just a sleeping bag).
September 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
he can participate in whatever interests him I wont stop him. If I ever have a daughter I hope she doesnt get into cheerleading but I wont stop her.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
What's wrong with cheerleading?

I was a cheerleader for a while in school. Our uniforms were past the knees, and we had to be physically fit. Did a lot of running and other activities. Wasn't like what you see in the movies.
September 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
What's wrong with cheerleading?

I was a cheerleader for a while in school. Our uniforms were past the knees, and we had to be physically fit. Did a lot of running and other activities. Wasn't like what you see in the movies.
Mine was similar in elementary school. But it is so not the case in many middle and high schools!
September 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
Mine was similar in elementary school. But it is so not the case in many middle and high schools!
We only have cheerleading in high school, no middle or elementary. I guess it all depends on where you live/district you're in.
September 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in small town hicksville and nothing would be restricted. Pageants are not a huge thing here like you see every where else. It is a relaxed atmosphere. I will let my kids do anything they want. After all, it is THEIR life and not YOURS. I think you are doing a disservice to your kids by not letting them experience something because of your views.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I was referring to leagues outside of the school system. There are different kinds of leagues here, particularly with hockey. House league teams stay pretty local. The higher up you go, the more they travel. I know plenty of people who spend several mornings a week and then all weekend at the rink. No thank you. It doesn't even have the advantage of earning scholarships here, athletic scholarships are not offered at the same level in Canada as they are in the US. There is the remote possibility of a US scholarship, but chances are slim and I don't want to send my kid that far away to school.

I AM hoping that by the time Mackenzie is old enough my city has a junior derby league going It could happen, a lot of the girls on my team have little girls and are interested in starting one! Toronto has one, so do other cities. It's no contact, positional blocking only, just before anyone jumps on me

September 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
Oh you mean the siggy you could see from outer space (since i can't figure out how to make it smaller)? thanks! i'm not positive date wise, I think it'll be May 24th give or take a few days....I'm considering adopting the advice from other thread and just telling everyone I'm due in the last 2 weeks of May banish due dates!

and mostly i'm just stalking Jillian, once I found out she's in the May DDC...well then, I just HAD to join too
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! I'm excited to know someone in there!!!

September 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm wondering if age plays a role in anyone's decision but just like I wouldn't tell my 4 year old he can't play t-ball, I also wouldn't tell my 4 year old daughter she couldn't be in a pageant (or vice versa). Its their life, who am I to try and deter them from their interests? Whether they are 4 or 14, its their decision.
September 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would NEVER allow tackle football until high school. I also would NEVER allow participation in Boy Scouts b/c of their stance on homosexuality.

I saw the comment about some chapters not being anti-gay in Boy Scouts. This is not true. You cannot be a Scout leader if you are gay, period. I do not want to be a part of ANY organization that says that is ok, whether my local chapter agrees or not.

Besides those two things, I think other things are ok. Can't think of any others...

September 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Nope, no restrictions here. If they're truly interested, and I can afford it, they are more than welcome to do whatever. That was my parents' stance growing up, and I think it's a pretty darn good one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search