Log In Sign Up

Kids Asked to Pay to Potty


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 787
Mom: Kids Asked to Pay to Potty


Quote:
When 10-year-old Trey Tosh came rushing into the house after school and ran straight to the bathroom, his mom wondered why he didnít just use the restroom at school.Thatís when the fourth grader told her it was because he didnít want to have to pay any of his school bucks.
Quote:
The district said it instituted the pay for potty program because students began abusing the bathroom privilege. Now they have seven opportunities throughout the day to use the restroom for free.
Is Mom right to be upset? Is the school being more than generous with now 7 "free" restroom breaks?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Yeah she's right. These are kids and it's wrong to force them to pay for an extra bathroom break. Do some kids abuse going to the bathroom, sure. But you can learn who does that and who doesn't. You shouldn't penalize all of the kids because a few can't control themselves.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,782
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
The mom has every right to be upset. Just because a kid goes to the bathroom all the time doesn't mean they are up to no good. What if a child has a reason they are always going to the bathroom? Are they charged their incintive dollars too? What if the kid has used all their incentive dollars? Are they just out of luck? These are the first things that come to my mind. I'm gonna see if I can find more on this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
7 bathroom breaks in 6 hour period seems like enough to me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 21st, 2011, 10:28 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: where chili has beans
Posts: 13,348
That is a ridiculous number of times to be going to the washroom (for most people) but it's still ridiculous to charge to use the washroom.
__________________
Ashley, mommy to Mackenzie 01/01/08

Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
I would question if my son went 7 times in one school day. I would be screwing off if I went 7 times in an 8 hr period at work. More than enough time. Obviously there is a problem with kids abusing this break.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
I think its a fine idea unless there are medical issues. At 10 years old, 7 designated times to use the bathroom during the school day is more than enough. Its also plenty for the younger set as well. The school bucks are "incentive" dollars which means the incentive for holding on to the dollars to pay for a prize should be to use the bathroom at designated times.

If the school were asking for $ from home, that would be a different story.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
I don't like the idea at all. I'd rather see them get down to the reasons why some of the children are "abusing" the restroom breaks. I don't say privilege because I don't think it should ever be called that. It just sounds odd to call it a privilege.
I understand exactly why this mother feels the way she does and I don't believe she's being unreasonable. Why the school isn't just looking into the actual issue at hand, is beyond me.

I find it rather disturbing the teachers are free to go whenever they like, and they simply have someone come in to watch their room. If an adult can have as many breaks as needed, without having to "pay", why shouldn't the children?(they don't exactly have bladders the same size, either). I also find it disturbing that the school continually refers to the bathroom breaks as "free bathroom trips". They act like they are doing the kids a favor by letting them go at all. I realize that 7 or even 8 trips to the bathroom should be sufficient. But in cases where it's not, children shouldn't be penalized. What if a child is simply having an off day, not feeling well, whatever. Sure it's a one time thing, but it's still a one time thing they'll have to literally PAY for. There's no allowance for incidents like that. I don't agree with that whatsoever.
If a child continually needs more breaks than the allotted ones, then obviously there is a problem(be it screwing off, or even a health issue) and it needs to be looked at-on an individual basis. But these people(the school, or whoever it is that implemented this idea) can't tell me with any certainty they've never had a day chock full of bathroom trips for one reason or another. It happens.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: America
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I find it rather disturbing the teachers are free to go whenever they like, and they simply have someone come in to watch their room. If an adult can have as many breaks as needed, without having to "pay", why shouldn't the children?
adults vs children, they don't get to do the same things
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Hey there are times when I have to go more than 7 times in an 8 hour work period. Keep in mind that they just upped it to 7, it hasn't always been 7.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
adults vs children, they don't get to do the same things
Well yes, that's sort of obvious. There are plenty of things adults can do, that children cannot. I don't believe being able to go to the bathroom when you have to, should be one of those things.
Going to the bathroom isn't a privilege, and should never fall under the umbrella of what one "gets to do", especially in a setting like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Just because they have 7 opportunities doesn't mean they go each time the opportunity shows up. I don't think its reasonable to give them set times where they are allowed to go and if they have to go between those designated times, then they have to pay. Maybe in high school but elementary school? No way.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
September 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Hey there are times when I have to go more than 7 times in an 8 hour work period. Keep in mind that they just upped it to 7, it hasn't always been 7.
I sometimes have to go more than seven times in a 7 hour period as well but my dr. says it can probably be attributed to childbirth and age.

Yes, I did see that it has increased to 7 which tells me that the school has looked into it. I still think its fine to incorporate this into the incentive program.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #14  
September 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,641
Starting in middle school we were only allowed certain amounts of times to use the bathroom too. There were spaces in the planner we were given (little boxes) each week, I think one per day, and we couldn't use more than the boxes per week. One kid had to get a doctor's note to go more than his 5 times per week. I never used them all in one week.

7 chances to use the bathroom is plenty seeing as 10 is almost middle school anyway the kids should learn time management and budgeting. Most kindergartners aren't going to understand that they can save their bucks anyway, so if they use 1 or 2 and they only have 1 left at the end of the week to buy, say, a cheap pencil they'll be happy anyway.

This would be one instance where if my kid comes home and tells me they had to pee soooo bad all day long and couldn't go, and there honestly wasn't anything wrong with them medically I'd tell them to suck it up and use their time more wisely. Actually if they had something like this at our previous school it probably would have been a sooner red light about Sydney's avoidance issues (hiding in the bathroom every time she had the chance, and the teacher said NOTHING for half the year) because she obviously wouldn't have come home with any prizes.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #15  
September 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I don't like the idea at all. I'd rather see them get down to the reasons why some of the children are "abusing" the restroom breaks. I don't say privilege because I don't think it should ever be called that. It just sounds odd to call it a privilege.
I understand exactly why this mother feels the way she does and I don't believe she's being unreasonable. Why the school isn't just looking into the actual issue at hand, is beyond me.

I find it rather disturbing the teachers are free to go whenever they like, and they simply have someone come in to watch their room. If an adult can have as many breaks as needed, without having to "pay", why shouldn't the children?(they don't exactly have bladders the same size, either). I also find it disturbing that the school continually refers to the bathroom breaks as "free bathroom trips". They act like they are doing the kids a favor by letting them go at all. I realize that 7 or even 8 trips to the bathroom should be sufficient. But in cases where it's not, children shouldn't be penalized. What if a child is simply having an off day, not feeling well, whatever. Sure it's a one time thing, but it's still a one time thing they'll have to literally PAY for. There's no allowance for incidents like that. I don't agree with that whatsoever.
If a child continually needs more breaks than the allotted ones, then obviously there is a problem(be it screwing off, or even a health issue) and it needs to be looked at-on an individual basis. But these people(the school, or whoever it is that implemented this idea) can't tell me with any certainty they've never had a day chock full of bathroom trips for one reason or another. It happens.

Considering that teachers are not allowed to leave the room with students present and it is not easy to just get another adult in there, teachers are definitely not free to go to the bathroom at any time during the day. Just saying.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
September 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
Time management and budgeting should never include something like a bodily function. Like I said, what if a child is having an off day, and needs to go more often than they might otherwise? I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that making a child "pay" for something like that, is a wise decision, or that it will solve anything. That child wasn't intending to screw off in the first place, why punish them?

I do understand completely that the children have an incentive program and need to learn how to use it wisely. That part, makes perfect sense to me. I just don't agree that this will actually address the issue of kids "abusing the privilege of using the restroom".
I think if they actually took those instances on a case by case basis and figured out exactly what it is these kids are doing, and why, they'd have better luck. Sure it wouldn't be easy at this point if it's already out of hand, and yes I understand that doing so may take time away, here and there, from other things. But there are plenty of ways around that. It's not like the whole responsibility needs to be put on the individual teachers' shoulders.
I'm not so old that I've forgotten what it's like to be in elementary school(or middle school, though my school we started high school in 7th grade). I can remember more than once screwing around in the halls, avoiding something and using the bathroom as an excuse, etc... What I can't remember is it ever being such an issue that a school wide policy had to be implemented to prevent it. The fact that most schools don't likely have this same issue(as wide spread anyway) tells me that perhaps they just didn't do enough to stop it once they noticed an issue, and now it's out of hand.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
September 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,641
It was obviously more than one or two kids 'ruining it for everyone' in this case. This is just an example of how any law or rule comes about, from many taking advantage of something. Maybe if they run this new rule for just one year it will make an example for following years.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #18  
September 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Time management and budgeting should never include something like a bodily function. Like I said, what if a child is having an off day, and needs to go more often than they might otherwise? I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that making a child "pay" for something like that, is a wise decision, or that it will solve anything. That child wasn't intending to screw off in the first place, why punish them?
I don't know how all parents do it but there are plenty of books out there on toilet training where parents use time management(schedules/routine) and pay systems. We took the kids in every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. when they were toddlers and we sometimes "payed" them in stickers(incentive program). Time management/stickers was also what we used(at home and at school) with my special needs child and toileting.

Potty training: How to get the job done - MayoClinic.com
Quote:
Schedule potty breaks. If your child is interested, have him or her sit on the potty chair or toilet without a diaper for a few minutes several times a day.
Quote:
Consider incentives. Some kids respond to stickers or stars on a chart. For others, trips to the park or extra bedtime stories are effective
.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #19  
September 21st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I don't know how all parents do it but there are plenty of books out there on toilet training where parents use time management(schedules/routine) and pay systems. We took the kids in every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. when they were toddlers and we sometimes "payed" them in stickers(incentive program). Time management/stickers was also what we used(at home and at school) with my special needs child and toileting.

Potty training: How to get the job done - MayoClinic.com

.
Sorry I should have clarified that statement a bit better...the time management and budgeting taught in school should never include punishment when one's bodily functions don't work with the general "schedule" someone else has, or thinks others should have. Time management and budgeting has it's place, most definitely. I just don't think it's applicable in this particular instance or has any place as an excuse as to why it's ok. (because it doesn't make sense, to me)

I understand it's obviously an issue in this school, and not just one or two, or even a few, children goofing off when they shouldn't. What that tells me is when it was a minor problem, they didn't do enough to stop it, so it grew. Now they have an issue where many students probably wouldn't have a problem following this set schedule once they get used to it(though it could be not so fun in the process), but the few who might, will be punished. I don't think it's the best answer, or that it will even solve the problem. It could even create other problems.
Like the instance I already mentioned-a child needing to go more than usual. What if they child doesn't have any money to pay, but really needs to go? What happens then? The school's answer seems pretty firm that the child can't go. What if the child then has an accident? Now you've caused a problem, that could have been prevented, and the results can be pretty darn embarrassing for a kid. I'm sure that probably wouldn't be a typical occurrence. But it doesn't have to be typical, or common, to make an impression-especially on a child(of any age).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
September 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
I can't say I have ever had a job where I could just go to the bathroom whenever I wanted, nor was I able to in school. I have a hard time believeing that these kids just don't have a chance to go when there is time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0